Bad Idea - Adaptec 29160i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Idea - Adaptec 29160i

This is a "brainless" SCSI card. Look closely there is no Bios chip on the card. Had the misfortune to buy several of these, thinking low profile card, how nice.

These are used in some HP server, the design makes them instant landfill, unusable anywhere else
    Attached Files

Re: Bad Idea - Adaptec 29160i

1) It looks like there are two empty places there for chips to go in. My guess one of them is the cache and the other the BIOS. If you could get a hold of the correct part (It looks like a standard square bios chip you could salvage off a motherboard), you could flash it and solder it on. It's a lot easier than you think.
    2) A lot of motherboards had SCSI bios integrated into theirs for these type of cards. Though I never saw any with Adaptec, mostly LSI IIRC.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

i think there are some other missing SMD parts... i wouldn't try that. OEM's like to do that... reminds me of dell dimensions w/o the floppy also missing the floppy caddy... strip it down until it fails, and replace the last part.

i thought ebay had cards with a brain cheap... i spent $12 for a 2 port 3ware hardware raid ATA133 card... perfect match for the fileserver conversion of a hp evo d530... well, that and a little mod to reroute the HDD light to the card... i came across a lot of old scsi cards with that port cheap... but not compact at all (they were monsters)
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Maybe intended for use as a secondary to a primary 29160 family card, to support > 15 devices, and the primary provides BIOS

But no use on its own as a primary, as you've discovered
        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

if you were running linux (this may be possible with windows as well), you could use a tiny drive for the bootloader and use that to boot the scsi.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
          X