Decent DMM for around $250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent DMM for around $250?

Long story short, i was trying to figure out why my washing machine was dead and full of water, i had put my meter in continuity mode across the (open) thermal cutout. I forgot to unplug the machine... DMM dead.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by goontron; 11-20-2015, 04:08 PM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: Decent DMM for around $250?

Originally posted by goontron View Post
    DMM dead.
    1) If you want to try and fix your existing dmm, I can make suggestions if you post clear focused pictures of the pcb (both sides). Show a picture of the make and model as well.

2) If you don't want to fix it, then I can make some suggestions (well under $250).
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      1) If you want to try and fix your existing dmm, I can make suggestions if you post clear focused pictures of the pcb (both sides). Show a picture of the make and model as well.

2) If you don't want to fix it, then I can make some suggestions (well under $250).
      Its an old otc multimeter plus 3391. Plastic is brittle and cracked. I don't want to sink time into it.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

what do you want it to do, how many digits?
        handheld, or desk?

if i was shopping for a new meter, it would start with a UNI-T UT61E
        then end with a Rigol (and a lottery win)
        there's lots in between.

one thing, i would buy new probes - i'v never been impressed with the ones you get with handheld meters.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          what do you want it to do, how many digits?
          handheld, or desk?

if i was shopping for a new meter, it would start with a UNI-T UT61E
          then end with a Rigol (and a lottery win)
          there's lots in between.

one thing, i would buy new probes - i'v never been impressed with the ones you get with handheld meters.
          I would need current measure, voltage, resistance, continuity, the basics. Frequency counter or capacitance would be nice, but i don't need, need them. Handheld.
          and anywhere from 4.5 to 5.5 digits is fine.
          Last edited by goontron; 11-20-2015, 04:50 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I would need current measure, voltage, resistance, continuity, the basics. Frequency counter or capacitance would be nice, but i don't need, need them. Handheld.
            and anywhere from 4.5 to 5.5 digits is fine.
            I wrote this in January 2015 ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=17

Some will claim that the free or $3 meters will just be as accurate/good and they are welcome to use it on 120V AC or 240V AC as they see fit (knowingly or unknowingly).
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post

do you have any suggestions? One of my probe tips was... melted.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                I wrote this in January 2015 ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=17

Some will claim that the free or $3 meters will just be as accurate/good and they are welcome to use it on 120V AC or 240V AC as they see fit (knowingly or unknowingly).
                I will have to look into the BK.... Anything you know of in the $200 range?

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                  do you have any suggestions? One of my probe tips was... melted.
                  depends on your budget.

i would say 10-20 is reasonable for decent cables, probes etc.

something like these:
                  http://www.rapidonline.com/Test-Meas...obe-Set-525174

http://www.rapidonline.com/Test-Meas...ads-Set-532677

http://www.rapidonline.com/Test-Meas...ads-Set-532664

Comment

http://www.uni-trend.com/en/product/2014_0729_802.html
                    http://www.dx.com/p/ut61e-2-6-lcd-di...battery-113306

only about $50 leaving change to buy decent cables!

Comment

There is a huge difference between a $3 multimeter and a $50 multimeter in terms of build quality, reliability, accuracy, precison and safety.

There is a noticeable difference between a $50 and a $100 multimeter, but not as much as the above.

There is a noticeable difference between a $100 and a $200 multimeter, but not as much as the above.

In another words, spending more reaches a point of diminishing returns. Everyone's different requirements will determine when this point is reached.

Some people would rather have two $100 multimeters versus one $200 multimeter. There will be times you need to measure current and voltage at the same time or you need to measure two voltages at the same time. For example, I often will use a multimeter attached to the large filter capacitor, possibly 400V DC, in a SMPS using hands free probes/attachments and another multimeter probing voltages somewhere else. When I power off, I can safely look at the multimeter measuring the large filter capacitor to ensure it is fully discharged.

$200 range.

1) new Brymen BM257S aka Greenlee DM-510A => roughly $150 USD
                      2) new Brymen 860 series aka Greenlee DM-820A
                      3) Amprobe AM-140-A - another Brymen rebadged meter

Agilent/Keysight also have meters in the $200 range, but I have no hands on experience with them. I would love to get one, but finding them in my strict price valuation parameters requires a lot of patience.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes the UNI-T UT61E is nice, I bought it at a sale from Elfa.
                        Wrote a small blurb about it at the last paragraph in this post.
                        Kind of interesting result compared to a 10 times more expensive Fluke meter...
                        I do agree with stj's recommendation about probes, the included ones are quite cheap...
                        Actually the ones I got where intermittent, so I sent a mail to Elfa and they next day shipped me some Fluke probes no questions asked!
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                          Kind of interesting result compared to a 10 times more expensive Fluke meter...
                          The specs for ACV on the Uni-T 61E is 45Hz to 10kHz. The Fluke 28 II specs for ACV is 40Hz to 30kHz.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Well, ive settled on the UNI-T UT61E and a set of FLuke leads....

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

http://www.ultradmm.com/

bookmark that.

Comment

I have a Fluke PM97 scopemeter which I bought new for AU$2750. It's been a POS since day 1.

Nowadays I stick with cheap DMMs and test their accuracy with a cheap precision reference (5.000V +/- 5mV).

Comment

i have one of those, it was good till a fet shorted and the charge circuit blew about a dozen parts off the power-board!

Comment

I ordered a service manual for it. It came with one page missing -- the PSU circuit. When I received a photocopy of it, notes had been pencilled on it.

The batteries never held a charge.

The probes went O/C within a short time (no physical damage).

The AC adapter didn't adapt for very long and Fluke wanted $120 for a replacement when all I needed was the DC cable (which was easily replaceable).

One of the PCBs failed due to leaky smd crapacitors.

Comment

that's a long list!

was it the meter probes that oc'd or the scope probes?

Comment

One of the scope probes went O/C. Not cheap to replace.

Comment

Working...
                                        X