Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ugh! Hate this

Originally posted by Junk Parts
    The Power Users here know that Linux has its place just as windows does. I'm not a Power User. I want my OS to work right out of the box. Lets take quick look at my history of windows use.
    1. Windows 3.11
    Was good from what I remember of it. Hated installing the DOS 6.22 upgrade.
    2. Windows 95
    A whole new Country, and it works! So Cool! Now even my Dad can run a PC! Thanks Microsoft...
    3. Windows 98SE
    Just like 95 only much better! Its starting to feel like my PC is getting smart now. Lots of nice files and things for me to mess up and get the famous BSOD.
    3. Windows ME
    Unlike most people I loved it. When MS killed it I was so sad. Yes it had memory issues. System restore never worked. It was still a whole new universe with even more files for me to mess up and BSOD. I'm working on putting together and old AMD K6/2 450Mhz system right now. It will be a dual boot with Xp one drive and ME on the other.
    4. Windows 2000
    Don't know about this one. I never used it.
    5. Windows Xp Pro Corp, Home, Media Center
    Mr. Bill has done went and built me a Starship!
    The best OS ever. No more BSOD's if I leave the system files protected...LOL Xp can do everything I need to do and so much more. System restore works too!
    6. Windows Vista
    I could deal with it if I had no choice but I would rather have my Xp. That thing in it that keeps asking you if you really want to do something bugs me to no end.
    7. Windows Se7en
    Tried it. Didn't like it. Its too new for all my old hardware. Maybe on a new PC it would have been better.
    ubuntu is designed to work out of the box. windows makes you install each program and driver individually- while ubuntu has it all set up after the install. extrad drivers are only needed for some wifi cards and some graphix cards (if you want/need 3d acceleration)(mostly nvidia,via,and matrox, usually ati has 3d out of the box). all that console crap is only for those who want it to do really special things. ubuntu was not designed for power users. Kubuntu, which has kde, was designed for power users. Ubuntu, basd on gnome, was designed for those who have limited to no computer/linux knowedge. i know pwople that never figured out windows but got ubutu in a snap. dont let microshit lie to you, linux is not or geeks only. when your ubuntu cd comes in, you will see what i mean. if xp is a starship, then ubuntu is a free starship. your stuff WILL run faster with ubuntu. you just wait.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
      no offnce, but windows sucks, btw. too limited and bloated, and unsecure. i liked winows at one point but found linux and never turned back. almost any thing winows can do linux can do better. i guarantee it. test me, i dare you.
      It's ironic that you crack on Mac OS......research what Mac OS is built on...

OSX and Linux are so close on the tree, if you bash one, you bash them all. BTW, this message was typed on OSX10.5
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
        Good games?!?!?! OH YEAH GUYS. WHY WOULD I WANT TO PLAY BIOSHOCK, LEFT 4 DEAD, WORLD IN CRISIS, STALKER, GTA4, SPORE, COD4, CRYSIS, OR ANY OF THAT "BOXED CRAP" WHEN I CAN PLAY A SUBPAR RACING SIMULATOR ON MY UBUNTU MACHINE?? LOLOLOL GO LINUX!!!
        sub par? you must try out tremulous. it has the graphix of the top games.

look, you will see what i mean: site

foobilliard: site

ii you want stuff that fancy buy a game console. or dual boot. i bet spore is fun when the viruses make your screen do this:

and what bill gates thinks of his customers:
        Last edited by ratdude747; 08-08-2009, 09:14 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

my only beef with mac os is it's restrictiveness and price. and only available for use on a mac. they and linux are not that close... mac osx and later is based off of bsd, which is unix like, as is linux. but bsd and linux are unix-like for different reasons. there are 3 way to classified as unix like- bsd gets it because it was based off tthe first unix plans. linux gets it because it behaves like unix. similar but code wise not very related.

my 3 beefs with mac- overpriced, overhyped, and the fact it took them so long to make 2 button mouse, and when they did, they overcomplicated it resulting in a mouse with no ability to chord-click (left and right at the same time). google it and you will see what i mean.
          sigpic

Comment

ubuntu is designed to work out of the box. windows makes you install each program and driver individually- while ubuntu has it all set up after the install. extrad drivers are only needed for some wifi cards and some graphix cards (if you want/need 3d acceleration)(mostly nvidia,via,and matrox, usually ati has 3d out of the box). all that console crap is only for those who want it to do really special things. ubuntu was not designed for power users. Kubuntu, which has kde, was designed for power users. Ubuntu, basd on gnome, was designed for those who have limited to no computer/linux knowedge. i know pwople that never figured out windows but got ubutu in a snap. dont let microshit lie to you, linux is not or geeks only. when your ubuntu cd comes in, you will see what i mean. if xp is a starship, then ubuntu is a free starship. your stuff WILL run faster with ubuntu. you just wait.

I have installed ubuntu on multiple systems for people who want to try it out. Mostly ubuntu 8.04, but also a couple of 9.04. On a friends custom built computer with a asus motherboard, 3ghz c2d and 8600gt we put 9.04. It didn't have drivers for the sound card or his razor keyboard, as well as his dial up modem as he still has dial up.

8.04 on a sony vaio with a asus motherboard (stock) and 3ghz p4 w/HT and it had no drivers for the sound, tv tuner, or network card. Drivers were very hard to track down, we could only find them for the sound card.

BTW that game has about the same graphics as UT2004. Thats far, far from crysis, fallout 3, bioshock, or cod4.
            Last edited by 370forlife; 08-08-2009, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Re: im a failure

so you all say we should suck bill gates cock and screw ourselves oa the same time. get a ps2 or one of the new options. they are designed for this kind of thing and are far less prone to viruses

and i am outspoken because i am a minority. i always lose like this. no wonder i have virtually no friends. all becuase i am not i sheep but a penguin. sorry for expessing my opinion- as you proved it is not welcome here.
              sigpic

Comment

so you all say we should suck bill gates cock and screw ourselves oa the same time. get a ps2 or one of the new options. they are designed for this kind of thing and are far less prone to viruses

and i am outspoken because i am a minority. i always lose like this. no wonder i have virtually no friends. all becuase i am not i sheep but a penguin. sorry for expessing my opinion- as you proved it is not welcome here.
                Not exactly. As mentioned before, every OS has its place, and bashing any OS is just childish and silly. I don't care much for linux on any 'daily use' system, however, my servers (including the one that runs this site) are all Linux systems. 85% of the PC users out there run windows, and it does everything they need it to do, as the masses generally do nothing more than web browsing, email, photo editing, and jerk off to their myspace pages.....hardly anything that demands anything out of the mainstream as far as an OS goes. I am also a windows brat for the most part, I was raised on it, and its what I know. Windows as a server is no less secure than linux is, but like linux, you have to know how to set it up properly to make it secure. I've ran winservers for years, never had one compromised. I dont like vista and win7, they're just gross bloat and shoddy..... However, win2k was the best OS MS ever made. it was exremely stable, well supported, clean, and reliable. What more can one want?!? XP is also a good OS, but I think they got a little too intrusive with it in the name of anti-piracy, something that was only worsened with visturd and win7. This is why I'm exploring other OS's, mainly mac OS, as when the time comes that XP can no longer suit my needs, I need to see what else is feasible to run. I will not use vista or 7.

This debate is like arguing liberal versus conservative, pepsi versus coke, chevy versus ford.....nobody wins, yet everyone is right....
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

I don't pay for any of my versions of windows, I get them for free through my brother with MSDN, or by -don't want to get party vanned- from -don't want to get party vanned-. This optiplex gx240 I am on right now dual boots a -don't want to get party vanned- version of windows xp pro and novell netware 6.5 (because its cool)

The only real reason I use windows is because I can play fallout 3 and all the DLC, cod4 and other games.

Comment

whatever. for me, windows' place is in the trashcan.
                    sigpic

Comment

sorry for expessing my opinion- as you proved it is not welcome here.
                      You're an idiot. All I said was that Windows and Linux both have their places and that in reality, neither is better than the other. You, however, took the opportunity to be a typical Linux fanboy and talk shit on Windows while trying to force your Ubuntu crap down our throats. Both OSes hve their place, and no, no OS is better than the other. End of discussion.

This is like arguing that trucks are better than sedans. An idiotic argument that would make no sense, because everyone has different needs. Like I've said a million times, I think Linux is one hell of a neat operating system. I just get really pissed off when little fanboys try to claim it's better than Windows.

EDIT: Oh and Spore runs fine, thank you. No BSOD's here.
                      Last edited by weirdlookinguy; 08-08-2009, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I've upgraded my MSI Wind U100 with a 500GB hard drive, and 2GB ram. It runs XP Home (the key it came with), OS X 10.5.6, and Fedora 10. Each has it's place, and is there when I need it. Plus, the price was right.

Let's see...

MSI Wind - $300
                        500GB HD - $85
                        1GB DDR2 - $15
                        9 cell battery - $85

XP Home - Included, $0
                        OS X - (maybe if point updates were easier...)
                        Fedora - $0

So for $485 I've got something that runs all three and go 8 hours on a charge.

So I really don't care who wins the OS argument.

Edit: You know what they say about arguing on the internet...
                        Last edited by acstech; 08-08-2009, 10:03 PM.
                        A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Look ratdude, everyone, I didn't mean to blow up there. OS arguments just get to me, you know? But all I'm saying is that Linux is not a godly OS like Linux fans always make it out to be. And that in some respects, Windows IS better than Linux. Gaming, for example. In some respects, Linux whoops Windows's ass. I just got back from reloading a completely fucked up by spyware XP box. They both have pros and cons, so just please stop bashing on Windows. Have you noticed I haven't bashed on Linux at all in this argument, other than pointing out that WINE sucks and that gaming on Linux is nonexistent?

Thank you, that is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                            This debate is like arguing liberal versus conservative, pepsi versus coke, chevy versus ford.....nobody wins, yet everyone is right....
                            To quote myself....
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                              To quote myself....
                              sigpic

Comment

I get all my windows versions for free too . Nobody likes server2k3? The secure(er) xp that doesn't treat you like an idiot.

I bash osx only for its dumbed down GUI and overpriced hardware. Darwin is solid, its pretty much bsd. I also hate steve jobs and the yuppie cult he started.

test me, i dare you.
                                Linux wouldn't do dual head properly, lots of rebooting when it switched primary to the TV, fucked up and I got 2 black screens and a running system. Also, until they fixed sound with the latest releases, 5.1 would not work properly on AC97. Linux sound still sucks.

Comment

"update app based on a shitty web browser, not a separate program
                                  No, no, and no. Windows Update through IE and automatic updates are two separate ways of getting updated."

good point. my bad there, it was only until recently my parents started xp. they used 2000 before. 2000 only has windows update so i am used ti that only.
                                  No, Win2K has the same automatic updater as WinXP
                                  No need to use the webbrowser to update it

I don't understand why people talk down on Win2K, it's the best OS to ever come out of MS, and I don't ever think they will make an OS as good as it again

XP was just a pointless stupid interface lift (like it needs a fucking stupid dog that helps you search and a blue interface that would make a 3 year old cringe!)
                                  Oh, and the "DRM" that how do they put it, helps you? Huh, fuck me DRM

NxB; I like Win2K3, actually WinXP x64 is exactly the same codebase and that is what I run...
                                  Of course with the "tweaks" that make it useable, like classic interface and stupid dog and whatnot disabled...
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Somebody brought up the issue of cost. Now lets see...

Windows XP Home:
                                    It came with the Dell 4550 as well as a good bundle of other software. I run the same OS install disk on ALL of my Dells. All installs are valid and update as they should. If I install it on one of my Non-Dells I just use the COA thats on the CD box. Same story. Its valid and it works.
                                    Cost: -$0- Dollars
                                    DVDFab 6 DVD Movie Copy Software
                                    Bought this online. It works great too. I could have just downloaded it and cracked it but those people need to eat and pay their bills too.
                                    Cost: -$29.00 Dollars
                                    Nero 7
                                    Came with my brother new Dell. He uses Roxio so he gave it to me. Installs and runs great on ALL my PC's. It will not copy a copy protected DVD with out AnyDVD running in the background but that why I have DVDFab 6 on this thing anyway...
                                    Anti-Virus, And Anti-Spyware
                                    All FREEWARE. All work just fine.
                                    Window Update
                                    Its works and its Free.
                                    All Other Software
                                    Free...Came with the Dell
                                    The Dell 4550
                                    Its a PC.
                                    Cost: -$80.00- Dollars
                                    Upgrades To The Dell
                                    Most things were pulled from Dead PC's.
                                    The only thing bought was a Sony DVD Burner.
                                    Cost: -$59.00- Dollars

So it looks like the whole deal cost a big -$168.00- Dollars... I never have a problem with drivers as all the Dells came with a driver CD. All my desktops use the same Dell Resourses CD. The Lappy has its own disk. I hate to say it but I'm driving and Xp Starship for now. I'm not about to trade it off for a Linux Fiat X19.
                                    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                    Rod Serling

Comment

Bit Torrent - $Priceless

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                                        Bit Torrent - $Priceless
                                        pirating= (see below)

sigpic

Comment

Don't forget the party vans!

I just had to re-install xp pro on my gx240 because it randomly decided to devour itself.

Not going to argue windows can suck sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                          X