KZG or OST - Which are better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KZG or OST - Which are better?

I am looking at buying a new computer, but it seems that most motherboards have either OST caps or KZGs. Some computers even have both. Is one brand/series better than the other or are they equally crappy?

Re: KZG or OST - Which are better?

Hmmm.....

KZG will last longer than OST, but beware, they fail without bulging. OST are more likely to bulge when they fail so at least you can tell when they need to be replaced. OST also fail without bulging.

Which new motherboards have these caps? Must be some really low-end OEM from China.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

They are not low-end boards. Almost every prebuilt computer that I was able to look inside had these caps. I also saw them on MSI, Biostar, and Asrock boards. You have to look at some high-end boards to get away from the crappy caps.

I want to know which caps would last longer.

Comment

I'd say equally crappy.

If I had to choose I'd go KZG because at least they stick to standard sizes I can find replacements for.

Should be able to find boards with mostly polymers now days though.

If buying a complete 'factory' system get a Dell with an Intel built board in a tower case.
        Least of the various evils.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
          They are not low-end boards. Almost every prebuilt computer that I was able to look inside had these caps. I also saw them on MSI, Biostar, and Asrock boards. You have to look at some high-end boards to get away from the crappy caps.

I want to know which caps would last longer.
          MSI, Biostar and Asrock ARE low end boards.
          If it's still using mostly lytics it is a low end or mid range system.
          Even most mid-range have polymer now, at least in the VRM.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

I thought he was talking about really low-end manufacturers like PCChips. A lot of prebuilt computers (junk like HP/Compaq) use ECS boards with Nvidia chipsets. It can't get much worse than that.

Comment

MSI might be slightly above HSING Tech boards but Biostar isn't and Asrock certainly isn't because Asrock is built by HSING Tech for Asus.
              HSING Tech is the actual manufacturer of PcChips, ECS, and Asrock boards.
              - And the parent company behind PcChips, BTW.
              PcChips is just the distribution network for HSING Tech.

Years ago I mistakenly had email exchange with the CEO of HSING Tech.
              I had asked customer support if it was possible to build a mobo with some configuration. It was intended to be a rhetorical question but I think that got lost in translation.
              My email got directed to the CEO who responded [paraphrasing]:
              "Sure, if you order 20,000 units".

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

PCChips boards were always really crappy, but other brands of boards made by HSING Tech were slightly better. I was just using them as an example anyway.

Comment

brand new cheap MSI's are actually doing pretty good now a days. they still have some older offerings for 'super cheap' AM2+ board that they use pannys on vrm and kzg's for the rest

MSI is getting better and better about polymer caps. thier newer boards are using sanyo for lytics and all the rest polymer are resuling in some good talk about them. infact I just found one of thier amd boards (nvidia chipset though)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130594

all solid and looks like higher quality build. I've been seeing this trend with MSI. seems they're leanring thier lessons

you're right about biostar and asrock (which is asus's cheap comapny)
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

All those nForce boards must be old stock... Anyone who buys them is out of their mind.
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                      MSI, Biostar and Asrock ARE low end boards.
                      If it's still using mostly lytics it is a low end or mid range system.
                      Even most mid-range have polymer now, at least in the VRM.
                      I'll agree with that. I also put Foxconn in as second tier.

I just looked at a cheap Sandy Bridge board from ASUS P8H61-M what capacitors are on it all look like Polys to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                        All those nForce boards must be old stock... Anyone who buys them is out of their mind.
                        Why? They are dirt cheap...and not THAT bad.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
                          Why? They are dirt cheap...and not THAT bad.
                          nForce chipsets had bumpgate where they would fail due to bad BGA's. You'd have to either reball them or get out the heat gun.

Comment

Ohh...you mean the problems they had. Gotcha. Does it apply to all nForces? Probably explains why my POS HP laptop died. (Never buy HP).

Comment

Pretty sure it does yes. Maybe except the 780i onwards.

Comment

Bumpgate and BGA reball were two different things.

Reballing won't fix a bumpgate chip.

The bumpgate chips die and they cannot be fixed, period. Anything after nForce 4 is affected.

Comment

Working...
                                X