Samsung UN55D6450 turns itself off and on endlessly, no blinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN55D6450 turns itself off and on endlessly, no blinks

That's the simple gist of it, my friend has a Sammy UN55D6450 that when plugged in turns itself on (relay clicks, backlight turns on) and then instantly shuts itself off. A few seconds later it repeats this process. He'll let me have it for 250. What do we think? Seems fixable. Main board? I haven't opened it or anything.
    Cheers,
    Alex

Re: Samsung UN55D6450 turns itself off and on endlessly, no blinks

I'd be thinking main board or t-con, is picture visible just as it cuts off? Could be shorted LED strip too.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It shuts off too quickly. Granted, I didn't have a video source hooked up, but sammys display a logo when they boot on, right? Anyway, this sounds fixable to me. Do you much smarter guys concur? I can pick up today or I have to wait a week.

Cheers,
      Alex
      Last edited by withalligators; 08-06-2013, 10:42 AM.

Comment

It sounds fixable, and I'd be thinking main board, also. I'd probably buy it, although I'd have a hard time paying $250 (just my cheapness with regard to non-necessities ). It looks like a nice TV.
        Last edited by capkid; 08-06-2013, 11:51 AM.
        LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

OK guys, I brought it home. When you first plug it in, the relay clicks and it turns itself on, and a quick Samsung Smart TV logo appears for less then a second and then it shuts off. A few seconds later the relay clicks again and the screen flashes on and then off instantly, with no logo. The top of the screen is also brighter than the bottom as if that edge is lighting but the bottom isn't. Pressing the power button does nothing. It will continue this cycle until you unplug it. At which point the relay will click on and off a few more times, but at a progressively slower rate. Any new ideas? I'm still thinking main but wouldn't be surprised if it were a component on the power board. would photos of any of these boards help?
          Cheers,
          Alex
          Last edited by withalligators; 08-08-2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Yes, clear pics of the circuit board layout and what you see onscreen would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by withalligators View Post
              The top of the screen is also brighter than the bottom as if that edge is lighting but the bottom isn't.
              Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              Could be shorted LED strip too.
              This is where I would start. Try unplugging the LED strips one at a time to see if it will stay on. If it shuts off, plug that one back in and unplug the next one.

Comment

The whole shebang:

The main:

The power board:

TCON:

Comment

How does one get at the LED strips? When the logo appears, it seems uniform. It's every flash after that where the backlighting seems uneven. Also, while the red LED seems to just turn off and on inverse to whether the screen is off or on, it blinks twice after each relay click after you unplug it.

Comment

It apprears to me that there are tow cables at the top of the power supply going to the LED strips. I'd start by powering the set up with one then the other unplugged (ones at a time). If it powers up with either or unplugged then its going to be the LEDs.

Comment

I tried that, the relay clicked, but it wouldn't turn on with either unplugged

Comment

Yoicks, I can't find replacement main board for this anywhere except TVserviceparts, where they want 175. Anyone have any leads? It's p/n BN94-04359V. Shopjimmy lists these as substitute parts:
                        BN94-04357J
                        BN94-04359U
                        BN94-05038U
                        BN94-04359W
                        BN94-05038N
                        BN94-05038R
                        BN94-05038Y

Comment

Ok, I'm putting this on the backburner until I get a notification from ebay that one of these boards has become available. If it works, I'll update so there is a thread out there in case someone else encounters the same problem. If it doesn't, I'll go the TCON route.

Comment

You can also set a notifier up with ShopJimmy.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I also like to get main boards from Tristate Module, since they offer a 6-month warranty. I almost had to return a main board before I figured out that an obscure firmware update was necessary along with the main board replacement, and Tristate didn't hesitate to take back the board when I called them. So, I'd keep an eye out for an available board on their site.
                              Last edited by capkid; 08-14-2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Found a main for 80, disappointingly didn't do the trick. I looked more closely at the screen as it turned on and off, and the bottom edge LED lights may not be turning on. Is there a way to test this better?

Next time I go home, I'll take video in a dark room.

Comment

Yeah, the bottom 1/4 or so of the screen is dark. It's *really* hard to tell in this video, but here it is:
                                  http://s294.photobucket.com/user/wit...07841.mp4.html
                                  Is there any way to test the pins to see if its actually the LED before I open up the panel?
                                  Thanks,
                                  Alex

Comment

Any way you can get a full lit screen, maybe full white?

Comment

You cannot ohm an led strip. I'm learning about this more and more. The led tv incorporates a "balancer" to judge if the led strips are working optimal or not. What you need.ro do is get the service manual and find what voltages are on the balancer pins and led controller ic but im betting in you having some internal led error.
                                      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

It may be a primary issue.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                        X