CDs make me sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CDs make me sick

Kodak used to be top quality but they don't make their own discs anymore.
    And the company making them now is none other than HongKongFlyApart® Co, LLC.

Went through the whole spindle and 0 luck.

Got a not-so-new TDK DVD-R (the same type I used for Ophcrack), burned XP to that and it worked fine the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
      And the company making them now is none other than HongKongFlyApart® Co, LLC.
      Careful...
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

FWIW, I have some backup CD's I made 15 years ago that are all scratched to hell....low & behold, they read without any issues.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
          I've been using Memorex CDRs and Memorex DVDRs lately. Not a single bad burn, using either Toast, Nero, or PowerISO's default settings And that's on a wide variety of burners of various ages in various laptops and desktops...
          My friend buys TDK at Costco and those seem perfectly reliable as well...
          I don't know who actually made them, but they work, so I don't care!

Really the only media I've had issues with were HP-branded. About half of them turned into coasters!
          Going through my stack of different CD's, let's see what I have here...

TDK Certified Plus CD-R 700 MB, 48X ---> made by RiTek (RiTek RFD80M)
          Verbatim CD-R 700 MB, 52X ---> RiTek RFD80M again
          Memorex CD-R 700 MB, 52X ---> RiTek RFD80M again
          SkyPro Neon CD-R 700 MB, 52x ---> RiTek RFD80M again

See the pattern now???
          There's only a handful of big manufacturers who make your optical media (small no-name ones aside).

Now let's continue...
          a different Memorex CD-R 700 MB, 52x ---> CMC Magnetics Corp.
          Fujifilm (says Made in Japan on it) 700 MB, ---> Taiyo Yuden Co.
          Maxell CD-R Music 700 MB ---> Taiyo Yuden Co. again
          very old Sony CD-R 700 MB, 1-32X ---> Sony Corp.
          Verbatim DataLifePlus CD-R 700 MB, 1-32X ---> Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.
          RiData CD-R 700 MB 40X (looks like a very cheap CD - you know, the ones with no label that look exactly the same on both sizes) ---> Digital Storage Technology Co.

So as you can see folks, the brand on the box has nothing to do with the manufacturer (except for that one old Sony).

Comment

Taiyo Yuden = the best

Mitsubishi Chemical Corp = very good quality

Sony Corp = high quality but good luck finding them

Comment

Who makes the cheap Sony branded discs? Those are the only discs that I can find locally.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                Who makes the cheap Sony branded discs? Those are the only discs that I can find locally.
                if from india, high possibility is from moser baer

Comment

RiTek seem to be okay. They're in most things these days. The G05 die had problems because of the firmware of burners but I've not had any bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                    Install ImgBurn. Open it, and click on "Write Image File to Disc". Look on the side where it displays all of the info. It should be there.

Originally posted by Rulycat
                    RiTek seem to be okay.
                    Agreed. I had a 100-pack spindle of those TDK Certified Plus CD-Rs (RDF80M) I mentioned above - now only 10 or so blank ones remaining. The rest I have burned. I don't think I've ever had a coaster with one of them. I've used them on numerous burners, too. Still holding their data fine after 8 years or so now. No CRCs or anything like that when trying to read them. Even some of my picky CD-ROM drives that won't read other burned media will read these.

Comment

Now that I think about it...

In my opinion, the only thing that makes a CD more likely to survive a drop than a (3.5") HDD is weight. Because the HDD is heavier it will fall faster and hit harder. I think if you drop identical objects ONTO the storage medium, a HDD will more likely survive than a CD.

Smaller HDDs are lighter, and they adopted load/unload ramps before most desktop drives did. But that didn't stop people from breaking 1" Microdrives. (To be fair, though, they did have to squeeze the whole HDD, including PCB, into a 5mm thick form. This makes the fragile components even more fragile.)

The smaller drives also use glass platters, which obviously can shatter from extreme shock, rendering the data unrecoverable. But then again, you can make CDs unrecoverable simply by scratching the label side.

(I'm talking about stopped HDDs, of course. You can quite easily render data unrecoverable with shock applied to the spinning HDD, resulting in a head crash. But as long as the HDD is off, short of shattered platters, you can at least send it to a data recovery company, though that won't be cheap.)

(I know the IBM 75GXP also had glass platters and load/unload ramps, but it shouldn't even be used as an example. )

Comment

Working...
                      X