Chieftec HPC-360-202 5vsb jumped to 6V!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chieftec HPC-360-202 5vsb jumped to 6V!

This is the power supply that came with the Albatron PX865PE PRO mentioned on the other thread I created.

It works, but the psu squeals and the 5vsb climbs to 6.11V.

I opened it and was surprised by the build quality. In the AC reception there is something I've never seen again in a power supply.
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1352833284
    It seems to be an input filter that incorporates X cap, Y caps and input coil.

But wait, there is more! 2 extra X caps, 2 Y caps and 2 coils, one of them is the biggest AC filtering coil I have seen. There are also 2 M.O.V., but there is no inrush current limiter. The bridge rectifier is GBU8J rated at 8A.

Oh, no! That voltage doubler circuit again! You can tell where it is from the burnt PCB... It's the PCB board mounted on the primary heatsink. I bet the 2.2uF 400V caps are dead as usual.

The caps in this power supply are Teapo and Jenpo.

The primary caps are 2x Teapo 680uF 200V.

5vsb: 1x 1000uF 16V Teapo SH & 1x 470uF 16V Jenpo

3.3V: 2X 3300uF 6.3V Jenpo 10X25

5V: 2x 3300uF 10V Teapo SC 10x30

12V: 1x 2200uF 16V Jenpo 10X25

The secondary silicon is very impressive:

3.3V: 1X SBL4040PT 40A

5V: 2X SBL3040PT 60A total

12V: 1x ESAD92-02 20A

The main NPN switching transistors are 2SC2625 rated for 10A continuous. Correct me if I am wrong but I think they are worse than the D13009...

There is also SSP2N60B for 5vsb.

There is SG6105D for PWM and the voltage comparator LM339N, placed in an add-on board.

I found that test report: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...a1ac9621a8.pdf
    and schematics: http://www.rom.by/files/HPC-360-302.rar
    Attached Files

Re: Chieftec HPC-360-202 5vsb jumped to 6V!

Wow, not bad at all! Interesting AC thingy there Although not much filtering on the 12V and I think the transformer is too close to the heatsinks, that thing would get toasty. Any idea why the 5VSB is so high??

Comment

I vote for dead / dying 5Vsb cap
      Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

The integrated input filter is quite common on better PSU these days. Once again, have a look to Hardware Secrets reviews once per a month or so
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

The 5vsb critical cap is completely dried. It is a Jenpo 22uF 50V.

This power supply is designed better than power supplies like Antec SmartPower and Bestec that would go completely unregulated when the critical cap fails and provide even 8-12V on 5vsb and fry the mobo.

Btw, very good soldering:
          Attached Files

Comment

Jenpo are worse than Capxon, i'd rank them along the likes of Rulycon and JEE. Replace them all. The Teapos can stay.

I had a Spire 600W where almost all Jenpo caps were bloated or dried, even though the PSU had barely been used at all - there wasn't any dust inside although the PSU is several years old.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

If you would recap it, CHANGE THE CAPS FOR EXACTLY THE SAME RATINGS ESR/current wise. Had a thread here about one which's compensation got oscillating, wasn't able to fix it.
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

What does that circuit with the two resistors and two caps do? I've seen it a lot in power supplies that are usually built a little better (I had a "Jackson" power supply like this with bad 5Vsb output cap.) The resistors are always very burnt from heat...
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Somebody wrote about that in here, IIRC it is to somehow boost efficiency when the PSU is operating, on the other hand it works during stand-by as well and just consumes power and burns itself.

Comment

I have no idea how two resistors and two caps can boost efficiency. I'd guess it's some kind of psuedo-PFC... but I haven't thought much about it.
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                      What does that circuit with the two resistors and two caps do? I've seen it a lot in power supplies that are usually built a little better (I had a "Jackson" power supply like this with bad 5Vsb output cap.) The resistors are always very burnt from heat...
                      Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                      Somebody wrote about that in here, IIRC it is to somehow boost efficiency when the PSU is operating, on the other hand it works during stand-by as well and just consumes power and burns itself.
                      I tried to draw something like a schematic diagram for that circuit a while ago:
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...9&d=1268165068
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1268166583
                      And these are some results with and without that circuit on a psu connected to AC: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=109

But I just noticed something confusing:
                      https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...a1ac9621a8.pdf
                      Go to page 108... Why is that circuit mentioned as "PFC"?

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      Jenpo are worse than Capxon, i'd rank them along the likes of Rulycon and JEE. Replace them all. The Teapos can stay.

I had a Spire 600W where almost all Jenpo caps were bloated or dried, even though the PSU had barely been used at all - there wasn't any dust inside although the PSU is several years old.
                      The C38 cap, Jenpo 100uF 25V is also bad. Capacity is ok (110uF), but esr has risen to 1.9. I don't think it is normal for a cap of that uF.

More bad Jenpo caps...
                      470uF 16V Jenpo 5vsb output, esr: 0.55
                      470uF 16V Jenpo -12V output, esr: 0.35
                      Those are too high values even for GP caps!

Comment

Yup. replace all the Jenpoo caps.

You know sir, high tech power supplies like this often need re-capping
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Seems like a lot of effort and components for a slight voltage boost. Maybe it lets them get a bit more power from the transistors but it seems quite dodgy to me...

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                            …
                            Thanks for the info. If I would run into it in future, is it enough to remove those components to disable it? No extra connections and such things are neccessary?

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                              Thanks for the info. If I would run into it in future, is it enough to remove those components to disable it? No extra connections and such things are neccessary?
                              In every psu that I've seen and had that circuit, removing the 2 400V 2.2uF caps was enough to disable it completely.

I just took advantage from the fact that in this psu it is located on a separate add-on board and removed the whole board. This is going to help the airflow as well.

This power supply is full of surprises! The 5vsb Teapo GP cap was glued to the minimum load resistor, yet it survived. Same thing happened with minimum load resistor and 12V output Jenpo capacitor.

About 12V... I have to correct myself....

3.3V: 2X 3300uF 6.3V Jenpo 10X25

5V: 2x 3300uF 10V Teapo SC 10x30

12V: 1x 2200uF 16V Jenpo 10X25
                              12V: 1x 2200uF 16V Jenpo 10X25 & 1x 10uF 50V Jenpo

Yes, there is a second cap on that output..... Why did they use such a small capacitor???

Comment

12V: 1x 2200uF 16V Jenpo 10X25 & 1x 10uF 50V Jenpo

Yes, there is a second cap on that output..... Why did they use such a small capacitor???
                                I replaced the 50V 10uF cap with 1000uF 16V. The power supply oscillates like crazy now! 12V stays 12.03 for 1-2 seconds then it drops to 11.68V, then it goes up again etc... And you can hear a sound inside the psu like a wake up alarm

The cap needs to go out. Not sure of what caused this though.

Comment

What a strange creature

Comment

Maybe it's trying to say "Wake up and see what you have done"

Or, "wake up and fix me now"

Comment

The feedback loop obviously doesn't like it.
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Being feedback, I won't like 100times change in any parameter on me too

Comment

Working...
                                        X