X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello everyone,

Todd from California here. Born and raised in Silicon Valley with Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, Apple, Google and Microsoft at my door step.

I have good knowledge of electronics as I worked in the industry in my younger years. I am a retired firefighter that started a home repair business. I fix anything from a gate to TV's, sound systems and other electronic devices.

I now live in the Sacramento valley on the California Delta. As for hobbies, fishing of course.

Thanks for your time and looking forward to your help

Comment

Hi, this is KC5VRI, glad to see some component level repair going on somewhere.
      I started with basic electronics in 1977, then went on to do computer repair in the USAF. (it was component level). Then in the mid 80's I got into cash register
      and office equipment repair. (copiers ,printers, facsimile machines etc..). Have been at my current job going on 28 years, as has been said before, hardware doesn't break that often anymore, so it is software and user instructions etc...
      I also fiddle with amateur radios, keeps me out of trouble. Thank you for allowing me to join you.

Comment

hello glad to be here

Comment

Hi, just joined. Thanks

Comment

Hello all. I just joined. I tend to tinker around with electronics. I just found out about this site while watching a youtube video that mentioned this site as being very helpful. Indeed it is and glad this site exists.

Comment

I say Hello.

Comment

TV Tech from Australia. This site has helped me and I've been in the trade for 30 years. Still running my own business and I hope to give answers along the way. cheers.

Comment

I am an electrical engineer from Canada, and a ham radio operator VE6SJT. I currently have my own business assisting designers in meeting regulatory requirements (EMC, product safety, etc.,) require to sell products worldwide.

Comment

Hey All,

This is Steve. I host a YouTube channel called "That Geek Guy" https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYW...2I-kLo-vProwXg

The channel primarily covers vintage computers, but I also feature modern technology and How Tos.

So I joined this group because the magic smoke got out of one of my Apple IIe's and I had a few cap questions. Hopefully I can start a new feed with my questions after posting this intro.

Cheers!

Comment

Hello, don't let my name fool you I am a human NOT a monkey if you can accept that then we can be friends.

Comment

Hi all, just signed up. Having issues with a Samsung tv and this site looks like it might be able to help. Thanks

Comment

Looking to repair a few old laptops lying around

Comment

hi i am from India and very glade to be part of Badcap Forums

Comment

Hey Everyone

Thanks for letting me join Badcaps, I've already made use of the countless laptop diagrams, It's incredibly helpful.

Looking forward to helping others in the future.

Cheers,
                              Poxydoxy.

Comment

Hello to all

I've found some extremely helpful information here on Badcaps over the last few months so I thought I'd join in. This is an area of study that seems to have been dropped in my lap recently when I began to notice tv's being set out for trash pickup. Been able to tinker my way through repairs on a dozen or so different models so far but it's for certain new territory for me. I have been building and repairing computers for years so hopefully I won't come across as completely lost to the other members. Looking forward to the challenges. If anyone has any pc or mac issues I'll be glad to throw my comments in.

txbeachrep54

Comment

Originally posted by helloworld2016 View Post
                                  Looking to repair a few old laptops lying around
                                  What brand and model laptops are you working on? Been repairing and troubleshooting them for a good while. Let me know what problems they are giving you and let's see if we can get you up and running.

txbeachrep54

Comment

just want to say "hello all.."

Comment

Hi all, Steve here. I've been building and repairing stuff since about 1991. Mostly cars back then but a bit electronics from time to time.
                                      Now I do a lot of software work and the occasional hardware repair on computers and cellphones.
                                      I only found this site today and am quite interested in learning more in hardware repairs. Now back to reading...

Comment

I'm an expert at many things; I started messing with S-100 bus systems. I've also got bit by repairing " thermionic valve " ( AKA tube ) TVs when I was ten years old. I built my test equipment from Heathkit catalog offerings. I spent 5 years at AMD in Test III and Test IV making ICs like the 9080, 9102 memory and UV erasable PROMS. I've met some of the famous Silicon Valley people at both surplus shops and swap meets. I will reserve my comments about several, as I have strong opinions of these people personally. Soon after I played the " walk across the street and get a 30% raise " game, I was asked " since you already know how to build a microcomputer, how about building Large and much faster computers ? That started me on my dream job I held for 7 years at Cray Research, Inc. They wanted all my Test Area skills for their new $5Million Wafer Fab Area they just built. I started solving hardware problems and ended up hiring a friend to solve the Test Area Software problems. YES, I DON'T DO CODING unless I was forced to ( which was getting X to work on my personal UNIX system ) . Sadly, POLITICS started trashing my dream job and the VP I knew for many years asked me what I wanted before I was cut loose. I said" this new way of communication called TCP/IP; I want to know all about it". So I got shipped off to learn TCP/IP for Analysts, Ethernet for Analysts and Sun System Administration. I spent the next 6 months using " Vampire Taps ", polishing Fiber Optic terminations and hooking up all the buildings in the Chippewa Falls Campus. This was done as we were connected to DARPAnet; there was no public use of the DARPAnet services; only the TLA ( 3 letter acronym ) people ( CIA, NRO and NSA ) along with CERN and our "build better bombs " labs ( LLNL, LANL, Sandia and Berkeley) were connected to the DARPAnet backbone. When I showed how easy it was to steal logins and passwords off of DARPAnet with my $70,000 Sniffer, I was made Security Engineer to add to my Network duties. My last few weeks had me clearing off virii from the " new IBM PCs.
                                        So why am I here? I've spent many man-hours repairing equipment with the " bad cap " problem. I have a professional quality repair bench and microscope sets for repairing standard " " through the hole " multilayer motherboards ( NASA qualified for Cray Research modules ) , SMT and Gigahertz rework/repair.
                                        I now have a stack of HP laptop main boards that need the rework of the bad GPUs that were put on the boards. I found this site researching a LG 32LCD7 lcd tv i was given to me. I have DENON surround sound equipment that has bad cap problems and Industrial Single Board Computers ( SBC ) that have bad cap problems. I know the details of WHY we have bad cap problems. I just need this resource for help in solving these problems.
                                        " Even in the future, nothing works "
                                        -Dark Helmet, Spaceballs.

Comment

Hello, i'm glad to be part of this great forum.

Comment

Working...
                                          X