This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello All. My name is Andrew, from Pennsylvania. I am an Electrician by trade, not very familiar with electronics (DC Voltage) though. I have a few little projects that I wanted to attempt to learn a few things about and I thought this would be a good place to start with some reading. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
      As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
      So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
      where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
      hey guys I'm new

Comment

Hi all!

Found the forum looking at specifications for modifying an ATX computer power supply into a benchtop set with a variable voltage regulator. I found the information provided to be the most comprehensive on the net so far, and as I'm just getting started into electronics it induced me to join.

My background...these days I primarily stick to server and network administration but I've done just about everything in the realm of computers. I cut my teeth on an old Commodore 16 with a tape drive and a black and white TV my folks retired.

Cheers!

Comment

Hi, I'm new on the site, an engineering graduate (of 20 years ago!) who is trying to mend his LCD TV, which I've already replaced so see it as a chance to have a bit of a tinker and possible actually fix it.

Comment

Hi,

I'm 44 and have been fixing stuff for most of life - having learnt the hard way as a child that noone else in my family had any chance of even taking things apart without ruining them!

Nowadays I fix mainly underground inspection camera systems, but over the years I have fixed:- audio amps - valve and solid state, TVs, satellite receivers, VTRs and VCRs, camcorders and digital cameras, various CCTV recorders and video processors, ecu units for cars, dog walkers (yes really A trainer used them for his greyhounds...) hydraulic and electromechanical gate operators various types of catering equipment and white goods. Basically if I can understand it I'll give it a go.

Sad to say after all this time I still get a kick out of fixing something I've never seen before.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I'm Mark. I have subscribed to see if I can glean some information off this board to fix my television. I have some experience with electronic repair and a lot of experience with aircraft electrical repair. I've been an avionics technician for 20 years.

Looking forward to it.

Comment

hi everyone marco

Comment

Hello, my name is Marc and have been an electronic hobbyist since the 70's.
                  I find this site very educational!. thanks

Comment

hello to all. im joining hoping to learn how to fix a few things i have around the house that were very nice at one time. this is pretty new to me so i have a lot to learn

Comment

Hi there, my name is Yann and i'm from Quebec, Canada. I found the website while searching for a way to fix my plasma TV, a Samsung FPT 5084... I know my problem is on the power supply because I have a fuse always blowing. At first, I replaced the fuse and my TV was back to normal. But after a second time I changed the fuse, I searched for another problem. I replaced a few caps (only the one that I saw were bad) but I still have the same problem. I even bought a power supply from BUYQUAL and when I put it in, I get a different problem (TV turn on and is fine for 2 min and then turn off and I get the blinking red LED in front). So here I am, looking for some help :/ I'll ask my questions here but if it's not the right thread, please let me know and i'll post them in the right one.

1. I should have asked before buying but anyone know if BUYQUAL is a good company ? I think I have the answer because the board didn't look new and a few solder didn't look very well made.

2. Can there be another reason beside the bad cap for the fuse on my power supply to always blow ? (Fuse at FE801 on the BN44-00175A board). I was thinking of a resistor but the one I tested looked good. Maybe a diode but I don't have the tool to test it (well I have a multimeter).

3. I want to recap the whole board. Is there a place where I could find a list of all the parts I need instead of looking at all of them on the board and list them by myself ?

I will take pics and post them if you want.

Thanks a lot

Comment

Hi everybody,

I am a french guy who is trying to fix some electronic stuffs.

I discovered your forum last week and I found it was very interesting technically speaking !

I hope you will accept to answer my easy questions

Thank you very much and see you soon !

Comment

Hi Everyone!
                          I have used this site a few times in the past and decided to sign up!
                          You folks have a lot of useful tips and I hope I'll be able to contribute.

Comment

Hi Badcaps,

I have used this site for quite a while, perhaps 2 years or so, and have found it to be really useful. Just today I decided to register so I have full access to all the good stuff.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer and live is Sydney. One of my hobbies is to keep good stuff out of the rubbish dump. I have 3 fast and quiet computers in my home, all built from 90% reclaimed parts. I find it is necessary to buy SSDs, but everything else can be obtained for free.

I have repaired several monitors, stereo amplifiers and recently learned about the Toshiba A200 NEC Tokin capacitor problem from this site. I have 3 Toshiba A200 laptops awaiting parts for repair.

I also dabble in Windsurfing and red winehttps://www.badcaps.net/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif
                            Cheers
                            Dave

Comment

Re: The Good Capacitors Photo Thread

Hi,

I am Aiden and i am new to this forum!!

Comment

Hello folks !
                                My name is Jeff "Voxel", from France ^^)

I'm Commodore-Amiga reseller AND service center since 1992 and totally nuts about Amiga since 1985. (you think Amiga was dead ? Think again ! ;-)))

But I repair far more than Amigas ! ence my presence on this website chasing infos about a PeeCee ^^)

Cheers,
                                Jeff ^^)

Comment

Hell all!
                                  Here to troubleshoot my TV. Gotten tons of good info so far just need more specific. Wish me luck!

Jake

Comment

Hi from Dave I am a new Canadian forum member, been lurking for awhile. I am an electrical engineer by formal education (i am a P.Eng in Canada) and electronics tech/repair guy for 35 years informally having worked on everything from 80,000 watt ups systems to original IBM PC's/S-100 bus computers, etc. I started working as a helper at a local tv service/sales shop in grade 11. The current throwaway design spec / low MTBF for consumer electronics products has me fixing all manner of things for friends, family, and as a side-line to earn money for the occasional Big Mac.

Comment

Bob from Ohio here.

I like to fix things. Sometimes I make money, but mostly not, as I am too slow and I like to fiddle with anything that needs attention.

That's where forums like this are a godsend. I was searching for info on fixing an LCD tv and ran across a thread where the established members here were sharp. Even if I don't post, I can still search. :-)

Comment

Jesse from PA here.

I've visted before but was a lurker. I've got a bad dell and more in potentia so I'm here to seek the advise of the knowledgeable folks.

I recently recapped 4 old tivo power supplies to keep them going, so it's time to move up to the advanced stuff I guess

Comment

Hello.

My name is Dimitris. I'm still in university, trying to become a mechanical engineer.

I was trying to test an lcd inverter and I found some very good information in the forum.

Comment

Working...
                                          X