X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi All,

I'm Jim and I've enjoyed taking things apart since I was a young kid. Eventually I learned to put things back together. Later I learned to fix things.

I like to do simple things to my car, like change spark plugs, change oil. Have been known to bust knuckles on changing a water pump on a 1970's vintage GM car where all the "Accessories" hung on the bolts that you remove to replace water pump. What a joy to replace a water pump on a modern car, where nothing is hanging off the water pump bolts.

Have played with computers since the days of the Trash 80, and Commodore PET.

I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, but you know how theoretical that trainning is. I did have lots of lab experience in college, and am comfortable using a DVM and O-scope. No practical work experience in electronics, just hacking on my own. Professionally, I have worked in software quality assurance. I have a good eye for detail, and can be a "professional cynic." Drives my girlfriend crazy that I can be so negative, but I tell her that it is important that engineers doubt that anything will work, because that's how you figure out the 10,000 ways for a rocket launch to fail.

I'm here to learn about repairing my daughter's 42" LCD TV. I may be happy if ya'll can help me decide which board is bad. That main circuit board is mostly high density surface mount, and I don't have much experience in that area. As a teen, I did build a Heathkit Stereo Amp.

Comment

Hello Everyone,
      I have three monitors that do not work and I was going to throw them out but then after a little searching found this forum and now I am going to fix them!
      My background is not in electronics but I do like to figure out how things work. I am still kind of amazed when I find a forum like this that there are people out there willing to share their knowledge to help other people out....so thank you for being here!

Tim

Comment

Hi all,

HG281D which stays black for a long long time until it warms up then works.

This site looks like a good resource, although it is annoying that I have to signup and create and account. With hundreds of sites I've been to and they all make me sign up accounts with them - result is me having hundreds of accounts I have to manage.

In any case, since there doesn't appear to be a better place on the web to find this info - it was worth registering for.

edit: just wanted to look at pictures on threads. There is enough info here that I shouldn't have to make my own thread.
        Last edited by Kalianyia; 12-10-2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Hi All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a long time Abit mainboard fan, but haven't owned one for a long time, until now as I start building a couple of retro machines!

Previously I have owned BH6, BP6, NF7, NF7-s, KT7A, IC7-Max, AB9, AB9 Pro.

I'm currently building 2 systems based on a BH6 and a BP6. Obviously both will need recapping, so I'd be most appreciative of assistance when the time comes to do it. I'll probably post a worklog on each as I go.

Cheers,
          Kym

Comment

Hi there. My name is Corey. I started doing work on TV's when I first replaced my capacitors on my samsung TV. I came here looking for some repair work done for my sanyo dp52449. From what I here I need a mainboard. The TV powers on (the light goes on) but the screen stays black. I bought it form a person thinking it was the power supply and I knew the part was in stock. I spent $300 on the TV knowing it wasn't working. I have tried replacing the power supply and it didn't change anything. I then order a t-con board to replace because was told that was bad but didn't help. I was fortunate enough to send both parts back. I cannot locate a new main board to fix it with which I am pretty sure where the problem lies from what I have read and been told. Either that or I would like to have someone fix it locally preferred if I can. From the looks I don't see any problems. I have worked with computers and built my own computer before. Please help me. Thanks!!

Comment

Howdy, I'm just a nerd with a computer engineering diploma. Into learning as much as I can about whatever computer topics interest me at the time. Coding, linux, FreePBX, windows, comp repair etc. I've seen this forum in the past but never really took much notice until the other day when My Gateway 2100 finally died and I decided to try and fix it, since my boss has been talking about how he replaced his caps and fixed his monitor. I've never been huge into hardware at this level (school aside), but I guess now is the moment in my life I feel like working on something like this. So here I am. I already have new monitors, but I'm having a hard time leaving my gw behind, because we've been through a lot together and I paid like 900 bones or something like that for it new. I'd hate to send it to a junk pile if I can fix it for the cost of some new caps or something of the like.
              Anywho, my name's Mark. Nice to meet yall.

peace

Comment

I'm Jeff, and i enjoy learning and following all the posts... just happy to have found Badcaps .

Comment

Hello Everyone,
                  My name is Chris, I am an outdoor writer I write for a newspaper and I havean online magazine, I not here to plug anything, I know whats thats like as I have a outdoor forum of my own, as a online publisher my second love is computers, both software and hardware I enjoy fixing stuff and I have been building computers since I bought my fist one an old EZpc no hard drive and it wore you out changing floppy disk..

at this point I am trying to learn more about LCD monitors and TV's I have picked up a few that is not working and I hope to learn a few things about how to fix them.
                  I hope in the course of doing so I might add to the discussion and learn something in the process Chris

Comment

Hello
                    New to the forum, got TV issues hoping to resolve myself and not have to throw it away. I have basic electronics skills, USAF box changer on KC135R but have great mechanical background.

Comment

Alrighty then, My first is jared and you all could be related to me! I grew up dismantling damaged or bad (good as well) devices to see what made them work. Still do! Out of high school in to ITT eletronics eng. program while working construction.(framing mostly) after graduaition worked for a cable co., telecommunications was next(NEC PBX's, voicemail, call distribution, call accounting, ect. That lead to my favorite job, service & maintain E.A.'s two existing massive switches and comm. gear while installing third switch in building just constructed. After completion did auto-cad drawing correction for an electrical co., took up solar, passed the test to become a cert. installer. Currently working off/on with dad who is an electrician, and partner(combined have A, B, and C licenses.)work is spotty though. Bought first car at (15) 1970 SS camaro $1000 not running of course, @$2500 and alot of time built a 13.7 sec 1/4 mile car. Love to hunt, fish, ski, golf, and game(p.c.) The only thing i will not work on or repair is people. sorry. Found Badcaps while looking for a service manual or wiring diagrams for a sanyo dp42480 t.v.. and was impressed the knowledge, experience and reference material here! If there is any thing I can provide let me know. Look forward to networking with everyone.

Combat Cupcake

Comment

Hello, name is Tony. Been professionally involved with electronics/computers since around 1975. One of the first mugs to try a Sinclair MK14, gone through most 80's computers and to Intel/AMD PC's. However (please don't hit me) since Apple used Intel have moved to Mac's.
                        Recently took retirement after 33 years with a digital/computer forensics laboratory.
                        Hoping to re-kindle my interest in Amateur radio/electronics.

Comment

My name is Matt Monahan. I'm a teacher but work for an industrial company on the side which buys and sells used industrial equipment. I fix their forklifts, switchgear, and occasionally circuit based equipment. I ended up repairing an Allen Bradley powerplus touchscreen unit and realized that basic automotive electrical troubleshooting could apply to circuit troubleshooting, or at least get your foot in the door.

A friend gave me a 50" panasonic plasma that I was able for fix for about $23 through Ebay. Now our family (wife and five kids!) watches TV together with netflix streaming. I was just given a Vizio LCD with problems and it has been harder to figure out than that plasma. So, I found you guys and have been blessed by all the support and willingness to share knowledge. It's a fun project on the side, and it doubles as "professional development" for my side work. Thanks for having me!

Comment

Hi guys,
                            so glad to have found your forum with all its knowledge on fixing stuff. I just dabble a bit when and where necessary, together with a bit of coding. I mainly focus on the design and fabrication of prototype scientific instruments and tools.

Orlando

Comment

My name is Joseph DeGraw I go by northpoint here. I have been in the computer/server/network repair field most of my life and have started a small business for repair of computer related equipment and networking. Iam located in Osceola, Indiana near South Bend.

I ran across this forum because I have always wanted to get into board level repair a bit to resurrect equipment and not just replace it all the time. Its quite difficult to find information but this forum seems to have alot of knowledgeable posters. Hopefully I can learn alot here.

My first victim is a HP 2509m 25" computer monitor with backlight issues. I will post separately on that though.

Thanks for letting me onboard,

Northpoint

Comment

hello my name is Pete married and live SC USA just getting into electronics wanted to years ago but got into machining wanting to get knowledgeable and looking for some pointers to a problem i have with a f2105 monitor

Comment

Hi
                                  I'm The Viking from Denmark.
                                  If You want to learn some danish words I can help.
                                  But as to electronics I'm here to raid the forums for knowledge

Comment

Hey everyone, found this forum by accident while trying to find answers to a laptop problem, excited to join and see what I can learn. I taught myself over the last year to take apart laptops and fix them, become sort of an addiction..lol.. I buy them off craigslist and sell on e-bay, pain in the ass sometimes but it allows me to work from home. Sorry for rambling..lol.. Happy holidays everyone!

Comment

Hi. Just signed up so I could see pictures. I'm going to try to fix a couple of Samsung BW216's with info from here.

I'm broke at the moment, so a handful of caps from Mouser looks a lot better to me than shelling out for new monitors.

Comment

Hello everyone! I am a newbie here but I know I will learn a lot from here! Badcaps rules! :-)

Comment

Reading all the introductions here I am completely intimidated

I am a tinkerer...plain and simple. No electronics background. I have fixed, destroyed, assembled and tinkered ever since I was a kid and my brother showed me a crystal? radio.

I am not even sure if I am posting this introduction in the right place but what the heck...please accept me the way I am, I am to old to change.

Comment

Working...
                                          X