Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 58" UN58H5202AFXZA - Horizontal Screen Glitches/Identify a Part

Hi all.

I have this Samsung TV that I'm trying to fix (it has an unknown history) and could use an experts opinion. The TV is suffering from horizontal lines/screen artifacts and I'm pretty sure I've identified the source of the problem so far.
    I highly suspect that it was caused by somebody spilling water or a liquid on side of the bezel. Let's go over the run down:

1. Sound working, Back light working but no visuals at first.

2. Shifted it around and turned it on the next day and visuals appeared with lots of artifacting. After leaving it running for 5 minutes artifacts slowly minimized down to one local area of white horizontal bars which fade in opacity from left to right.

3. Upon removing the front bezel a "melty" spot in the plastic was discovered from past melting. That spot feels very hot with the Tv turned on, and just happens to be right near the glitches on the screen.

4. Front and back Bezels were removed and upon doing this I discovered a bunch of "tags" (are they called "tab bonds"?) running along the sides of the lcd screen. Discovered a tab with a burnt looking IC of some sort in the middle. This tab is getting very hot and if you wiggle it you can even see smoke and the glitches on screen react. Rust discovered on the metal frame in this area. This made me think there was a spill of some sort and it shorted this "tab".

Now that burnt tab seems to be the obvious culprit. My first question is, 1.) does anyone know the name for this part?
    My second question: 2.) Has anyone tried replacing these or repairing the tags somehow. Or simply cleanly cutting the bad tab? Or will that have catastrophic effects?

Any information on the function of these tabs would also be much appreciated and any links to other sources is welcomed. Can it be fixed/hacked?

Thanks
    -Xfacter
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung 58" UN58H5202AFXZA - Horizontal Screen Glitches/Identify a Part

Carefully peel that side tag off, clean up that rust and verify nothing is touching that metal edge on all sides and corners then give it a try as this should take care of the horizontal lines, but you may still have to open up the Panel and clean/dry any liquid or GOO from in between the diffuser and polarizer sheets.

Comment

you are likely going to have to remove all the tabs on the side that has the bad tab as removing just one will leave the others on that side "loading down" the oppposite side resulting in issues thereafter. By removing them all on the bad side, the working ones will drive the panel as designed. Having said that, liquid on a panel is not good as it can find its way in between the layers and short areas along the panel that you can't get at leaving the panel basically "unrepairable".

Further, there is basically no way to replace / repair tabs at a DIY level.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
        you are likely going to have to remove all the tabs on the side that has the bad tab as removing just one will leave the others on that side "loading down" the oppposite side resulting in issues thereafter. By removing them all on the bad side, the working ones will drive the panel as designed.

Yes I agree with budwich on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
          Carefully peel that side tag off, clean up that rust and verify nothing is touching that metal edge on all sides and corners then give it a try as this should take care of the horizontal lines, but you may still have to open up the Panel and clean/dry any liquid or GOO from in between the diffuser and polarizer sheets.
          Originally posted by budwich View Post
          you are likely going to have to remove all the tabs on the side that has the bad tab as removing just one will leave the others on that side "loading down" the oppposite side resulting in issues thereafter. By removing them all on the bad side, the working ones will drive the panel as designed. Having said that, liquid on a panel is not good as it can find its way in between the layers and short areas along the panel that you can't get at leaving the panel basically "unrepairable".

Thanks so much for the help guys! That is already alot more info than I found searching for a handful of hours. Also I have a little bit of experience doing electronics repairs and I got the tv for free so I'd really like to follow your suggestions and try removing tabs on that bad side and hack it back to life for a little while (if I succeed).

Any suggestions on peeling them off (they seem to go under the panel)? Or would it be possible just to cut them and cover the exposed traces with tape? Or perhaps soak them in solvents and cause the little IC's to drop off? Also, are there any guides out there for taking apart LCD panels? Sorry for all the questions at once I'm just excited that there IS a fix to begin with.

Comment

the tabs are usually accessed from the front of the panel... you have to take the front bezel off to get "full access". The removal is like removing tape... gently pulling up to release the tab from the panel. Your picture appear to show lots of "stuff" in and around the panel areas... hopefully nothing is causing conductivity issues between tracks.

If you search on the forum there are numerous threads about issues around tabs and their removal to save the set. IF nothing else is wrong with the panel (ie. liquid ingression, cracked panel, etc), it is quite likely that your set will be saved.

Comment

Thanks so much budwich I will have a look around!

Comment

Solved

Thanks so much guys! Seems you were completely correct about peeling the side tabs off of the bad side! It was super easy.

Seems to be running fine, no noticeable distortion in picture (my background image is supposed to be washed out, the brightness/color balance is fine). The tabs on the other side are staying perfectly cool.
                I'm gonna do a quick write up just to summarize for anyone reading this forum:

Samsung UN58H5202AFXZA Horizontal screen ghosting/distortion, Side Tab Issue:

Symptoms/Problem: Picture distortion/no picture, ghosting, screen glitches, artifacts, Usually localized to one side of the screen. Overheating localized to one spot on the edge of the TV on the front bezel, very hot to the touch. Hot area is near the screen glitches.

Cause: Bad Tag (also called a side tab or just tab) connect on the edge of the LCD panel panel. In my case one tag on the left side was shorted due to a spill.

Solution: Removed all of the tabs on the side with the bad tab (closest to the distortion) as recommended. They pulled off the surface just like pulling really sticky tape off without the need to further deconstruct the LCD panel. Picture is now free of any distortion! (note: for some people with different models than this it was found that their model had some decrease in brightness on one side. There is some risk associated with doing this, the image quality might suffer somehow and it's not a guaranteed fix. You may need to take apart and clean the panel more thoroughly if you did have a bad spill. In my case this simple fix seems to have worked perfectly. Also be advised, this probably only works if you have bad tags on one side only(?)

Special thanks to Andrew F. Ali and budwich! You guys made this seem wayyyy easier than I thought it would be. THANKS !
                Last edited by Xfacter; 12-01-2018, 05:23 AM.

Comment

I am happy that you were successful!!..

Comment

Working...
                  X