1981 RCA Selectavision VCR odd noises at caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 RCA Selectavision VCR odd noises at caps

Hey y'all, long time no post. I guess that's a good thing though.

Anyways, I have had a project vcr in my closet for a couple years now waiting to be fixed. It is a pristine, 1981 RCA Selectavision top loading vcr- original box, wired remote, manuals, etc. Never been used and had been stored indoors it appears.

After replacing all the gummy belts, cleaning everything off and carefully oiling certain pivot points and spinning parts- I get picture, though its slowed and kind of garbled. The choppiness onscreen corresponds with two things I've noticed - one, the spool on the right (that winds during playback) seems to spin free then stop momentarily, then wind like normal again - and two, when that happens, or just before, there is a faint click near the back of the unit near the audio/video OUTs. There is a board there with caps... nothing else to make noise in that area.

Do I just pull every cap and replace it on that board, or what?

Oddly enough, I ordered a spare RCA top loader for parts and sure enough- the caps on the same board are making a faint click (though this unit has zero playback).

Any help appreciated! I'd love to keep this unit around as it is in perfect cosmetic shape, and I'm a sucker for woodgrain.

Re: 1981 RCA Selectavision VCR odd noises at caps

click might be a reed relay .. thats if they do actually click

Comment

I've never heard a cap click before, unless there is some internal arc happening. By now after 37yrs I would do a re-cap as the caps may have become dry and would fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
        I've never heard a cap click before, unless there is some internal arc happening. By now after 37yrs I would do a re-cap as the caps may have become dry and would fail.
        Good idea, and definitely on the horizon- I was just really hoping someone out there with RCA top loader (or just VCR) experience had heard of clicky caps on these units. I have TWO identical models that click from the same cluster of caps on the back board! I'll take pictures of the area when I remove that board for cap replacement.

Thanks!

Comment

I'm not sure if this model has reeds in this particular area- I'll double check when I get home though.

Comment

Well I have been repairing VCRs since the Betamax days. You know Betamax...The slightly smaller tapes? In those Betamax VCRs the Head and tracking circuit were the main issues other that the usual worn belt or roller tires.

Comment

i would try a few different tapes after cleaning the heads ..
              i used to find doing a ff play for a while could cure tracking type issues .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                i would try a few different tapes after cleaning the heads ..
                i used to find doing a ff play for a while could cure tracking type issues .
                Going FF after replacing belts and oiling/greasing a few spots is how I eventually got it to display something on screen... definitely seemed to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
                  Well I have been repairing VCRs since the Betamax days. You know Betamax...The slightly smaller tapes? In those Betamax VCRs the Head and tracking circuit were the main issues other that the usual worn belt or roller tires.
                  Nice. I've been looking for a working(woodgrain) betamax to complete my collection. I have betas- but no player. How will I know how my beta copy of mad max holds up compared to my vhs!?!

Comment

I am looking for a Betamax machine to buy, myself. I have few tapes I would like to transfer to DVD. Plus I convert VHS to DVD as a business for those who want to save their wedding, birthdays, anniversary memories.

Comment

Working...
                    X