Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just picked up a 55 inch LG 4k OLED for $50!

doubt you can fix OLED image retention, it will be permanent.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yea. And it's bad. Some ahole used it as a computer monitor downloading bit torrents.
      Attached Files
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

This is a supposed "new" panel ? And with a blown tcon attached to it ?

Comment

Great works!
          May be you should also upload the WAV file you use also.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
            Yea. And it's bad. Some ahole used it as a computer monitor downloading bit torrents.
            I don't know who would buy an OLED, a 4k one at that, and then proceed to use it as a computer monitor. Some people are just idiots apparently
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
              This is a supposed "new" panel ? And with a blown tcon attached to it ?
              Right!!?

Comment

Freak you better claim your money back, this screen is useless, it's incredible how many dishonests in internet there are...

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                  I don't know who would buy an OLED, a 4k one at that, and then proceed to use it as a computer monitor. Some people are just idiots apparently

Indeed! Take a look!! Whom ever bought this and used it as a computer monitor obviously had money to play with. These are the kind of people that say, " If I wanted to go camping I would have stayed at a 4 star hotel"!!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-12-2018, 03:16 AM.

Comment

OK this gets even better!! after the TV's been on for 4 hours LG OLEDS go through what's called a compensation cycle. Has anyone heard of this before? Basically it does a cleaning process internally against the organic LED compounds and Clears the pixels somehow through a series of voltage buffers. Something like that I'm not sure however I let it sit for its 10 minutes and I turned it back on everything that I saw that look like burn in is gone !!
                    the picture is crystal clear!! Not one ounce of burning or image retention whatsoever!!

This clearly looked like severe burn in!! It's gone!!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-12-2018, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Here is the .RAR file containing the 3 wav files and instructions how to build the IR.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                        OK this gets even better!! after the TV's been on for 4 hours LG OLEDS go through what's called a compensation cycle. Has anyone heard of this before? Basically it does a cleaning process internally against the organic LED compounds and Clears the pixels somehow through a series of voltage buffers. Something like that I'm not sure however I let it sit for its 10 minutes and I turned it back on everything that I saw that look like burn in is gone !!
                        the picture is crystal clear!! Not one ounce of burning or image retention whatsoever!!

This clearly looked like severe burn in!! It's gone!!
                        the fuck?

That's incredible.

I'd seen plenty of OLEDs with burn in - perhaps they just haven't been through their compensation cycle....

Comment

Bravo! Bis!

Comment

When you say OLED with burn-in (image retention), how can that be possible since the LED is either on or off unless the driver circuit is stuck on, I do not understand how to have image retention with OLED. Where can I learn more about that symptom and the explanation?
                            Never stop learning

Comment

I know Right! Here are some better pictures depicting the grayscale areas that were the worst. I just turned it on this morning and it does not look like the same panel that I was looking at last night. It's amazing!

I might just keep this one.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                When you say OLED with burn-in (image retention), how can that be possible since the LED is either on or off unless the driver circuit is stuck on, I do not understand how to have image retention with OLED. Where can I learn more about that symptom and the explanation?
                                OLED still uses TFT active matrix. The organic compound behind the active matrix TFT does the lighting. I saw screen burn I saw colors burned into the screen as well.

This cannot be possible with white film organic compound that is only on or off. So maybe quite possibly this was image retention that the panel subdued by itself electronically.

Of course this is only my theory I guess

Comment

Difference between LCD and OLED.

I am guessing the image sticking forms on the TFT1 device due to the storage capacitor Cs.

An LCD uses ac bias, so the net charge across the storage capacitor is always nulled.

I'd love to see an OLED based upon a plasma-panel style subfield drive mechanism, which would simplify the TFT matrix (no longer directly required) but I suspect would require extremely efficient OLED pixels to get high brightness.

Comment

So it is the TFT (driver), not the actual Light Emitting Device (OLED), that causes the retention.
                                    Never stop learning

Comment

In Italian Wikipeidia i've seen those with double FET are AMOLED, used only in small displays..
                                      I am guessing the image sticking forms on the TFT1 device due to the storage capacitor Cs.
                                      Why? It is not designed to discharge enough fast for the high freq. refresh cycles?

I wanted to add that even LCD when has some problems at the screen / TCON has a sticky image sometimes, with my Sony for ex. i left disconnected one half screen and that half showed the previous image's phantom, and the tv was also switched off-on..
                                      Last edited by Davi.p; 01-12-2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post

An LCD uses ac bias, so the net charge across the storage capacitor is always nulled.

I'd love to see an OLED based upon a plasma-panel style subfield drive mechanism, which would simplify the TFT matrix (no longer directly required) but I suspect would require extremely efficient OLED pixels to get high brightness.

Indeed. Also I don't think they can produce plasma subfield upon oled dur to the fact that oled is going flexabe.

Now that presents another conundrum if this technology is so finicky and dangerous like if it gets punctured, If it stays alive wont it act somewhat like a lithium ion battery when punctured?

I only ask because now on to the bad panel..

When I was scoping the current draw between the good panel and the bad one, the Vertical lines on the right hand side I noticed that there is a significant current draw at the 1.8v. Is this not VCC? These are the capacitors. I posted the picture earlier Of the capacitors on That I noticed were darker. That section is reading 84ohms. On the good panel it reads 250ohms. I removed those capacitors and I get 50 ohms. I put them back because the good side measured 84 ohms also. Whatever I replace or remove on the bad side changes the reading on the good side also. I'm confused. They must be linked together inside the panel somehow as the board on the right is separate from the left. The right farthest COF driver is obviously shorted. If I remove 12 V to tcon, The TV will state powered. And soon as I Introduce the 12 V back, The TV does something odd I can see a horizontal line withiin the vertical lines scroll from top to bottom of the.panel. As soon as that line reaches the bottom the TV shuts down. With the capacitors removed and the TV only reading 50 Ω on that section, When I power up the TV it immediately shuts off without displaying anything. With the capacitors in place and the 84 Ω reading the TV will stay powered up until this scroll line reaches the bottom of the panel.

I know this all sounds confusing but this is what I am seeing.
                                        Last edited by freakaftr8; 01-12-2018, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                                          In Italian Wikipeidia i've seen those with double FET are AMOLED, used only in small displays..
                                          That's wrong, all large and colour OLED panels are AMOLED.

Only very small panels are PMOLED (Passive-matrix OLED). Example, the small screens found on smart watches/Fitbits. These panels suffer uniformity issues when driven with bright content, and so are not presently suitable for OLED TVs. This might change in the future, though.

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                                          I wanted to add that even LCD when has some problems at the screen / TCON has a sticky image sometimes, with my Sony for ex. i left disconnected one half screen and that half showed the previous image's phantom, and the tv was also switched off-on..
                                          This would be because the T-con generates the ac-bias control signals, no t-con connection no ac-bias. This can cause permanent damage to the panel, but it is usually reversible.

Comment

Working...
                                          X