Sharp LC-70LE757U 3D Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp LC-70LE757U 3D Not Working

ok... good testing ... but you didn't answer my other question about how the glasses indicate that they are "on" (3d'ing). Are there any visual indications?
    Further, the image that you are viewing... is it a "still"? There are settings for "stills" versus other types of signals. In additions, there are a few other settings that might impact things, again my quick read of manuals. I asked my friend to check out his tv but he has to find his glasses and then charge them or otherwise and then see what happens with his "saved" set. Its an interesting "case study" on whether removing tabs affects the 3d operation. I like "science"... :-)

Comment

I just made a discovery. On my son's tv when I do the 3D test, on the way-bottom of the frame there are 6 lights that come on red when it goes into 3D mode. The lights go out when it shifts back to 2D. On my TV nothing lights up when I do the same test. I imagine this is the IR sensor that you were referring to? Whatever it is, it is not lighting up in 3D but apparently should be. So the question is whether this part is defective or whether the chip that is supposed to send a signal to this part is defective.

Comment

Clutching at straws here but cannot think of anything else. Has the 3D depth control been set to an extreme so that the balloons look further to left and right?
        Attached Files
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I had it set to "Auto" so the TV should be making these adjustments but I did try setting it to manual and then moved the depth bar to the left and to the right. It just altered the focus of the image.

Comment

Originally posted by farcwarts View Post
            I just made a discovery. On my son's tv when I do the 3D test, on the way-bottom of the frame there are 6 lights that come on red when it goes into 3D mode. The lights go out when it shifts back to 2D. On my TV nothing lights up when I do the same test. I imagine this is the IR sensor that you were referring to? Whatever it is, it is not lighting up in 3D but apparently should be. So the question is whether this part is defective or whether the chip that is supposed to send a signal to this part is defective.
            Now I think you are getting somewhere... not necessarily a fix, but now a better "feel" for what the problem is. Of course, probably only "Sharp technician" would know what those "lights" means... :-(
            I would suggest you compare some of the settings on both sets to see if you can spot any differences.
            I ask again, are there any indications on the glasses when they "think" they are set for 3D operation?

Comment

Yes, the glasses have a setting for 3D and they are correctly set and working fine with my son's tv.

Comment

I am not referring to a switch, is there any visual light indication when they are receiving?

Comment

I own several sets of 3D glasses and none of them have an indicator light that comes on other than the light associated with powering them up.

Comment

ok.... so when they are powered up, it the light ON? IF so, does it stay on when your set is in supposedly in 3d operation?

Comment

Yes, the glasses are fully charged and the light stays on. I have tried several pair of glasses after fully charging them and the result is the same every time. On my TV there is no 3d coming through but I then walk over to my son's identical make and model TV and I get perfect 3d. I am convinced the issue is with my TV and not with the glasses. It has something to do with the row of lights on the TV that illuminates when 3d is being broadcast. It lights up on my son's TV but not on mine.

Comment

OK... but tests that I am suggesting are not to test the glasses, they are trying to point at what portion of the tv is not function... the emitter, the presentation or both, etc.

OK... if the light stays on.... however, the glasses are supposed to have an "auto turn off" function IF no 3d signal is received after a time... to preserve battery life. Not sure how this is indicated but would assume the light should go off. Test this at both the working and non-working setup to see what happens. Again, this will perhaps point to a poor emitter... maybe.

Further, I didn't see where you confirmed testing at the working setup when you attempt to block the IR receiver in the glasses. What happens?

Comment

Originally posted by farcwarts View Post
                          Thank you again for your help. I did tests with two fully charged sets of glasses that had previously worked just fine with my tv and still work fine with my son's same model tv. I covered the IR sensor on the glasses and the 3D did not appear when testing the glasses with his tv but as soon as I uncover the IR on the glasses, perfect 3d appeared, as expected. On my son's tv I noticed that the ghosted balloons are only slightly to the left and right behind the solid balloon when viewing the test screen without glasses or when covering up the IR sensor on the glasses. But on my tv, the ghost balloons appear to be further out on both sides behind the solid balloon. To me the issue clearly rests inside my TV, and I think it is whatever board the 3D function rests on, but I could be wrong as I am guessing.
                          OK... let's go back to this.
                          So when you covered the ir sensor on the glasses, at your son's place, does the image then look similar to the image that you see on your set.... basically a "3d presentation but looking 2d-ish"?
                          Related to this have you played with "depth adjustment"? does it have any impact? at the working set... at the non-working set?

Lastly (running out of test ideas), what happens in the non-working setup when you change the 3d mode (ie. mode 1, mode 2)?
                          Last edited by budwich; 10-26-2016, 07:35 AM.

Comment

OK... here is the "final test". Get a hold of a camera / phone or equivalent... some iphones that don't have a ir fliter over the camera lens (the front facing ones don't... I think), android phones don't appear to have a filter so they should be good. Anyways, you can check it out by testing with a remote to see if the camera / phone picks up the IR coming from a remote when a button is pressed. You should see a light out of the remote... notice its brightness. Now try the same by pointing it at the tv and switch the tv to 3d mode and look to spot any ir coming out from the tv (somewhere). Notice its brightness. You can then verify this against a working set.
                            If the brightness isn't there or there is no "light" then you can focus on replacing the emitter(s). If that doesn't solve the problem, then you are likely looking towards an issue with the main board... as it controls that operation.
                            Last edited by budwich; 10-26-2016, 01:27 PM.

Comment

At the risk of interjecting stupidity are these glasses infra red or Bluetooth ? I ask because your son has the identical set within walking distance so I have to ask if you're sure your glasses have not paired with his tv.

Comment

:-) I think from the glasses / tv manual and testing (blocking the ir sensor on the glasses), they appear to be only IR based. Anyways, I think there appears to be only two "components" involved... the main board and the IR emitter board.... "finger" appears to point at the main board since some of the display indications do not appear to "align" between the non-working set and the working set ("lights" indicating 3d signal... maybe) although there is also an outside possibility of perhaps a "data misalignment" maybe also.

Comment

Thanks for the research and assessment. I have placed a call for a Sharp technician to come in to service it.

Comment

Working...
                                  X