e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Well... After removing the white ribbon in the right and putting it back (with the tv unplugged) I went back to the original problem. No picture whatsoever. So, I guess this tcon is fried as well...it all happened after I lifted the speaker to put it back in place. Would you think that the right strip board is bad and it's causing this? Or should I give up and stop wasting time and money?

Sorry if I confused you budwich, my original problem was I had no picture but sound. I only had a black/ dark blue screen. I bought one t-con board new from FTVparts and a spare tv with a cracked screen and functioning parts.

Comment

So what happens if you try removing that right ribbon cable do you have a picture again?
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Nope, back to square one. I just get a black screen again when turning the tv on even without that fat ribbon cable plugged in

The t-con board I bought dos come with a 180 day warranty tho

Comment

Well I can tell you most likely have a right side tab driver failure accompanied by something else going on with these vertical lines that you are getting. I'm half tempted to say that that could have been a tcon board problem also. So you would be on the right track to remove the right hand side ribbon drivers on the side of the panel and possibly pick up another tcon board. There's always a slight possibility that with the damage panel from the other TV it may have damaged the tcon board that you were testing with

Comment

Ok, I will replace the t-con with a new one

As far as removing the right side ribbon drivers you mean peeling off the brown connectors the same way you did for your tv? If that's correct, excuse my lack of knowledge. But how will the right side of the tv get picture?

Comment

This is only if the side drivers are shorted. Looking at your picture it doesn't look like there's a problem with them. It looks more like you have a vertical driver issue. I just find it interesting how when you put the cable back on the tcon to the panel you have no picture now. What I would try when you get your new board is connecting just the left ribbon cable from the t-con to the panel but leave the right side ribbon cable disconnected. Power up this way and see if you have a picture. If you do, then connect the right side ribbon to the tcon. But before you do this inspect that ribbon that goes from the t-con to the bottom driver board on the right side to make sure that you do not have any fractures or holes ripped in the cable. As a matter of fact you can probably look at that cable now and inspect it.

If there is a problem with that ribbon cable going from the tcon to the panel it could have caused the tcon to short out

You could try doing some voltage checks on the tcon board now with the two flat white ribbon cables disconnected.

What I meant by removing the right hand ribbon is the ribbon going from the t-con to the panel. I don't think you have a side tab driver failure. That would present itself in different ways however if you feel that there could be a problem there you can always leave the bottom 3/4 inch flat white ribbon cable disconnected from that side after connecting the right side ribbon cable from the t-con to the panel. This would be just a momentary thing to see if the picture looks ok vertical wise. This will allow us to make sure that it's either a vertical or horizontal problem taking down the tcon board
              Last edited by freakaftr8; 11-09-2015, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Sucess!!!!!! Replaced the transistor on the t-con board and then reinstalled the t-con board back in the tv. Connected the blueray player to an hdmi port. Made sure the white ribbon cable on the right side of tv was disconnected.

Fired up the tv and quickly realized that the right side video drivers were the problem. There was nothing left but the heart stopping surgery of peeling the driver tabs off the panel, I'm not gonna lie, needed a bit of liquid courage prior to the job.

A few beers later and a complete reread of this thread, peeled those driver tabs off the tv and fired up the tv and blueray player....and it worked perfectly. Crazy.

The last picture was me watching Wreck it Ralph movie. Looks amazing. Got the TV off of Craigslist for 300$ and a dubious look from the wife and daughter that it could be fixed. Now I'm the hero for the day...lol.

Thanks to tjmethod for the transistors, freak and all who posted valuable suggestions for fixing this tv. Thanks so much guys.
                Attached Files

Comment

Right on man! Good job!

Comment

who has the longest running set so far after doing the fix? i wonder how long they will last in normal use.

Comment

Hey all

i just picked up a e701i-a3e set for free with this same issue this thread discusses.

i just wanted to verify that my findings are correct before i order a new mosfet for my tcon board.

I ohmed out the pins with a volt meter, with black on the single pin side, the other two legs ohmed 1.2 and 426.

i also get no voltage to the cap and on 3r3 and 4r7 coils, but do get voltage at 100 coil of 12 vdc.

am i correct in assuming i have a bad mosfet?

Thanks!

Comment

Yep, it sounds like the FET is shorted to me.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by cfox102 View Post
                          Hey all

i just picked up a e701i-a3e set for free with this same issue this thread discusses.

i just wanted to verify that my findings are correct before i order a new mosfet for my tcon board.

I ohmed out the pins with a volt meter, with black on the single pin side, the other two legs ohmed 1.2 and 426.

i also get no voltage to the cap and on 3r3 and 4r7 coils, but do get voltage at 100 coil of 12 vdc.

am i correct in assuming i have a bad mosfet?

Thanks!
                          Okay so after searching and searching for the correct mosfet can anyone verify this is the one i need to match the previously post mentioned RTR020N05?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...PQ5q%2fhhbQ%3d

the data sheet says type TL under packaging. and i don't want to waste time getting the wrong one.
                          https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...29c4d5940c.pdf

I'm an electrician by trade, and extremely new hobbyist in the electronics area with a lot to learn.

thanks for the help guys

****Never mind I answered my own question****
                          Last edited by cfox102; 11-09-2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

QF mosfet, 45v, 2A, SOT23-*

I believe you can get them from Mouser electronics

Comment

For those that are having question on whether to connect and disconnect one side upon first power up after a fresh tcon board is installed have a look at this post I believe this may save you some expense as you may be able to visually look at the drivers on each side of the screen to see if any of them look burned or dark in the center. This will give you a visual on which side maybe bad before you first power the set up.

Of course this topic is on a sharp LED television but the Vizio follow suit although unfortunately the Vizio cannot shut down with an error code like a sharp does which in turn shorts out the tcon board on the Vizio.

Read post 16 and 17 and there are pictures of what a good tab driver in a bad tab driver look like

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50170
                              Last edited by freakaftr8; 11-09-2015, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Ok. I've been talking to a FTVparts person to see if they can send me a new t-con board. As soon as I get the new T-Con I will install it, not plug the right side ribbon.. and if the half picture looks good..I will start operating on my tv the same way you did on yours Freak. Now the waiting time begins until I get a new T-con.

Also, I've inspected the ribbon cable and it looks to be in good working condition. as a matter of fact I have 2 spare since I got that other tv. I will look at all 3 really carefully and use the one that looks the best.

Thanks
                                Last edited by Brinn; 11-09-2015, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem56 View Post
                                  Sucess!!!!!! Replaced the transistor on the t-con board and then reinstalled the t-con board back in the tv. Connected the blueray player to an hdmi port. Made sure the white ribbon cable on the right side of tv was disconnected.

Fired up the tv and quickly realized that the right side video drivers were the problem. There was nothing left but the heart stopping surgery of peeling the driver tabs off the panel, I'm not gonna lie, needed a bit of liquid courage prior to the job.

A few beers later and a complete reread of this thread, peeled those driver tabs off the tv and fired up the tv and blueray player....and it worked perfectly. Crazy.

The last picture was me watching Wreck it Ralph movie. Looks amazing. Got the TV off of Craigslist for 300$ and a dubious look from the wife and daughter that it could be fixed. Now I'm the hero for the day...lol.

Thanks to tjmethod for the transistors, freak and all who posted valuable suggestions for fixing this tv. Thanks so much guys.
                                  Awesome bro, glad to hear it. I found a 70 for my sister acroos the country in AZ- theyre in the process of fixing it too.

Comment

I have very good news! at least I hope they are. The new T-con got overnight to me and I installed it on my tv and didn't plug the right ribbon cable. I have perfect picture on the left side and the right has a white screen with no vertical or horizontal lines.

Now comes the real question. Should I plug that right ribbon and see if it works? or what precautions can I take before I do it? I don't want to burn another t-Con board. to be honest I'm somewhat scared.

Thanks!
                                    Last edited by Brinn; 11-11-2015, 05:21 PM.

Comment

unless you want to get very "intimate" with the board supplier or good at fixing them yourself, I would say your gamble is no gamble... its a sure thing that it will take the board out. :-(

You can probably save yourself some "angst" by taking a look (carefully) at each of the tab cables on the side in question looking for obvious things like burn marks, etc.
                                      Last edited by budwich; 11-11-2015, 05:28 PM.

Comment

So what you're saying is.. just plug it in and see how it goes?

How hard is it to fix them? Is there a guide on these forums on how to fix them? I'm sure it'll beat buying another new one if it is indeed taken out after I plug that right ribbon.

Comment

Originally posted by Brinn View Post
                                          So what you're saying is.. just plug it in and see how it goes?

How hard is it to fix them? Is there a guide on these forums on how to fix them? I'm sure it'll beat buying another new one if it is indeed taken out after I plug that right ribbon.
                                          NNNNOOOO I am saying, its a sure thing that it will take out the board. You can read up on how to fix them as freakaftr8 has posted on this thread and others have replaced the components (FETs) that blow.

Comment

Working...
                                          X