Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Element ELEFT466 bad LED, read this before trying to fix!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Element ELEFT466 bad LED, read this before trying to fix!

So, my attempt at a repair failed and resulted in a broken screen. Since this seems to be a common issue, I took some backlight strips which I had around and added a connector which matched the ones coming from the panel. Then I used it, externally, to replace the internal LED strips one at a time until the TV came on. It worked perfectly and I found that the second position I tried it in eliminated the fault. My first thought was to just bypass the strip with some diodes in series because the picture looked fine. Then I decided to remove the panel and just repair the affected strip. Where things went bad was not realizing the panel is glued to the bezel. I've worked on hundreds of TVs and this is the first I've ever encountered one in which the panel was glued to the bezel. So the trick then, if anyone tries to fix one of these, is to carefully detach the bonded boards from the backlight assembly first and tape them to the bezel. I didn't even pull the bezel out more than a half inch, but that was enough. Two broken screens in two weeks, well, knowledge comes at a cost.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Re: Element ELEFT466 bad LED, read this before trying to fix!

Thank you! You just saved me a huge headache. What a piece of work these units are. Never been so nervous pulling an lcd panel out. Oh and not to mention the lcd driver boards are double stick taped as well to the panel, so one false move there and goodbye tab bonds! You really just saved me from destroying a good unit with 1 single shorted LED. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicegut View Post
      Thank you! You just saved me a huge headache. What a piece of work these units are. Never been so nervous pulling an lcd panel out. Oh and not to mention the lcd driver boards are double stick taped as well to the panel, so one false move there and goodbye tab bonds! You really just saved me from destroying a good unit with 1 single shorted LED. Thanks again!
      Glad I was able to help. I hate this model. I tried selling off the parts on eBay, I know they all work, but everything comes back because people find out it's actually bad LEDs.

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
        Glad I was able to help. I hate this model. I tried selling off the parts on eBay, I know they all work, but everything comes back because people find out it's actually bad LEDs.
        My son has one of these tv's. I have not worked on them before, but told him I would try and fix it. Same problem......after a quick search symptoms lead me to a bad inverter board took a look thought it would be easy fix, but got the new board and still have the same problem. No backlighting. I can see the pic with the flashlight trick.
        So my question if someone is willing to help what exactly do I need to do next? And what am I going g to need to be careful with? And where is the best place to purchase these light strip you speak of, or will I be better off cutting my loses and pitching it in the trash?
        Thank you

Comment

You need to test the Leds, I have a video on my channel which is MrReeceyBurger123 check it out. Then be careful when taking the Lcd glass out.
          Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
            You need to test the Leds, I have a video on my channel which is MrReeceyBurger123 check it out. Then be careful when taking the Lcd glass out.
            Not sure what you mean br your channel. How do I get there? Clicked the link and it took me to a Facebook page. My bad not real computer savvy

Comment

On youtube lol I have two videos of me repairing Led backlights
              Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

On youtube lol I have two videos of me repairing Led backlights
                Ah hell. I get it now. Always forgetting about youtube.
                I will check it out now.
                So they say the bezel is glued. Is a heat gun a no go with these things?
                Thank you much

Comment

Cool checked out the video. So theoreticaly could you test each individual led with the meter?
                  I do not have a power supply.
                  After searching for the strip I found they offer a right one and a left one, so I guess this would be an edge lit that you mentioned?
                  Thanks again.
                  Think I will see if I can get the bezel separated before I order anything else in case I break the screen.

Comment

Who is making these glued-in screens? (As if it wasnt bad enough already!)

Samsung, LG, IPS, AUO or one of the cheapo chinese turds?
                    TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                    http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                    PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
                      Who is making these glued-in screens? (As if it wasnt bad enough already!)

Samsung, LG, IPS, AUO or one of the cheapo chinese turds?
                      Think these are TPV which uses Auo glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Gytwypt View Post
                        Cool checked out the video. So theoreticaly could you test each individual led with the meter?
                        I do not have a power supply.
                        After searching for the strip I found they offer a right one and a left one, so I guess this would be an edge lit that you mentioned?
                        Thanks again.
                        Think I will see if I can get the bezel separated before I order anything else in case I break the screen.
                        No worries also, you will need to take the screen apart to see what type of Bl it is. Edge lit are normally very thin Tvs full array are normally bulky and fat.

Comment

Just took it apart. There are 55 Leds total. At a glance looked like 5 strip of eleven. But each strip was actually 2 strip 1 strip of 5 on one side and once strip of 6 on the other x 5 rows.
                          I just used the meter on continuity and tested each one at a time and found two bad. Same row but of course two different strip one left one right.
                          Maybe a short on the second one thinking this because it was the only one I actually got tone out of the meter.
                          So I already have 30 plus in a inverter board and looks like 30 a piece on the strips.
                          Is it worth the gamble? Ha ha

Comment

Go for it

Comment

Go for it
                              Do you happen to know a better line on these strips? Don't think I am really up to trying to solder in individual leds. The ones I found on on ebay.

Comment

What do you mean buddy ?

Comment

A better place to buy them? Think I found it. Ebay want 30 per strip. Shop Jimmy has all 10 for $55 shipped. Probably as good as it gets

Comment

Hi, I have a ELEFT466 with a working picture but no back-lighting. I cannot start a new post, so I was hoping that responding in this one would be OK.

As I have said, I have a ELEFT466 with a working picture but no back-lighting.
                                    I am not sure where to go from here, as I have nearly no voltage ( 300mv) at the back-light header on the power board, and I am not sure if it should be higher. There are a total of 5 connectors for the back lights on the power supply.

I dis-connected each back-light connector one at a time to see if a shorted LED could be the problem.
                                    The result was no back-light ( but I am not sure if this would be a correct way to determine if a shorted LED could be the cause.)

I have tried applying power to the LED strip from a variable power supply (3 to 15 volts DC) but I am not sure if the 15 volts it goes up to is enough.

The 2 wires at Con4 of the power supply come from what I believe is the main board, and the 2 wire connector on the main board says "inverter" I am not sure what type of voltage I should see here AC or DC or how much.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Soyouwannabet; 05-22-2016, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Disconnecting individual backlight connectors won't work. The LED driver circuit will immediately shut down in cases of overcurrent and undercurrent.

Overcurrent: something's shorted.
                                      Undercurrent: something's open (i.e., connector unplugged).

That's also why you don't see any voltage when you test. It shuts down almost instantly.

15 volts is not enough. You need about 30. I used to use three 9v batteries in series.

In my experience with this model, a bad LED is the most common problem.

If you can apply about 30 volts to each connector, you'll be able to confirm if it's also the problem with yours.
                                      Last edited by lookimback; 05-22-2016, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                                        Disconnecting individual backlight connectors won't work. The LED driver circuit will immediately shut down in cases of overcurrent and undercurrent.

Overcurrent: something's shorted.
                                        Undercurrent: something's open (i.e., connector unplugged).

That's also why you don't see any voltage when you test. It shuts down almost instantly.

15 volts is not enough. You need about 30. I used to use three 9v batteries in series.

In my experience with this model, a bad LED is the most common problem.

If you can apply about 30 volts to each connector, you'll be able to confirm if it's also the problem with yours.
                                        Perfect, I will try that.

And thanks for the clarification on the over/under current.
                                        Last edited by Soyouwannabet; 05-22-2016, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X