Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help diagnosing a Samsung DLP? SP50L7HX

Hi all,

Next door neighbour has a Samsung SP50L7HX - I've never messed with rear projection before, and actually had never seen one up until taking a look at his faulty set. All my work has been on LCD/LED TVs so please excuse my ignorance.

Anyway, turn the set on and the picture comes up fine, albeit a little grainy. After an unspecified amount of time, the picture will go fuzzy, multilayered and distorted, thenthe set will just switch off. Doesn't seem to be any pattern or time scales to this. It looks how a not quite connected scart input looks, however I ruled this out by bringing up the OSD, which also moves around with the distortion.

Occasionally the status light on the front will switch off with a red error triangle, sometimes apparently a bulb has come up on there. I've only looked at the set briefly.

Where do I start? The TV is built on a stand with the mainboard and power supply at the bottom, so the access to either is VERY limited. I've vaccuumed all the dust and dirt out, removed fans to check airways are all clear and so on. No swollen caps on the power supply that I can see (the power supply is mounted vertically into the stand so you can't see the whole thing).

I'm not sure if I'm looking at two separate faults (the switching off intermittantly and the knackered picture) or if they're the same i.e. a faulty bulb, ballast, colour wheel etc.

Any pointers of where to start would be fantastic.
    Last edited by artois7; 12-18-2014, 05:06 PM.

Re: Help diagnosing a Samsung DLP? SP50L7HX

Anyone?

Comment

Ive only worked on 2 dlp sets, but it sounds like a cold joint on the video board could be the culprit, another thought -does this set use convergence ic's? if the colors are separating (multilayered) that would be the first suspect on my list.
      Liberating magic smoke one part at a time

Comment

DLP tv's do not use convergence ic's, I have never worked on this model. Too bad we can't see a picture of the faulty picture. Usually if the color wheel is failing you will hear it making noise, also it must run at a constant rpm, if it varies at at all the picture tint will change, if the color wheel stops or looses tack feedback to the tv the lamp will turn off for protection. Tracking down intermitint faults can be hard.

Comment

I'd lean toward the color wheel..

I've got a samsung 50" DLP. I love it, most reliable hd tv I've got, my color wheel makes noise occasionally, but this tv gets alot of use... I think I'm on my 3rd bulb, but I've had no other issues... outside of the bulbs the most common issues I've found with these tv's (in my research) is the color wheels.

Comment

Working...
          X