I've been had

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I've been had

Nobody buys them for months and months in a row, then they eventually either get thrown out or sold at half price. Apparently some people have no problem with keeping a broken set for 2+ years rather than selling it for $30 or something. They would rather throw it away (free) rather than sell it for cheap.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Guess it's just a difference in attitude. Here most sets don't sell above £50 ($80) faulty unless they're new-ish/Smart LED junk or easy fixes like LG 50PS3000 series.

I've sold two LED-LCD TVs recently, and they only went for maybe £30 to £40 more than conventional LCD, so I don't know why people pay so much for them.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        I've sold two LED-LCD TVs recently, and they only went for maybe £30 to £40 more than conventional LCD, so I don't know why people pay so much for them.
        They're "new technology". Flashy advertising and the like.

So, let me see... I have a power supply that *sorta* works, half an inverter that MAYBE works and... that's all. I didn't strip it down to the Tcon but given the degree of messing around with the other guts, i'm quite sure they threw a busted Tcon in there as well. Hell, every part has been resoldered even on the little IR sensor/standby LED board, so likely EVEN THAT is busted.
        Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 09-19-2014, 04:38 AM.
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I meant, when buying faulty TVs they always sell for more, even though the end profit for me was significantly smaller.

For example, for a crappy 32" CCFL I pay £15 to £20 and sell for £75 to £90.

For a Samsung/LG/Sony/Panasonic 32" CCFL I'll pay up to £30 and sell for £120.

For the Samsung LED, I paid £115 (I was silly - it only had Freeview faulty though, and was 1080p ultra slim, so I took a chance) and it sold for £150 but took me a week to sell, the others went in a couple of days.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
            I meant, when buying faulty TVs they always sell for more, even though the end profit for me was significantly smaller.
            Same reason. It's new, so it has to be worth something even broken.

Back to my set, i'll probably fix up the power supply and sell it, keep the inverter and the EEPROM from the M/B and throw the rest away. And next time i go buy a broken TV, i'll have no problem taking the back off even outside in the street. I actually had a screwdriver on me but the guy was with the company car and was in a hurry... Asshole.
            Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 09-19-2014, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              Nobody buys them for months and months in a row, then they eventually either get thrown out or sold at half price. Apparently some people have no problem with keeping a broken set for 2+ years rather than selling it for $30 or something. They would rather throw it away (free) rather than sell it for cheap.
              I think this pattern must repeat across the entire world. If I'm interested , I'll send them an offer of $15. If they are asking a lot, and it seems OK, I used to do $25. They always refuse, and then I tell them to mail me when they decide to sell for less. Over half of them do, about a month later. Several that I've purchased the broken sets from have told me I was the only one who responded to the ad. All this because I rarely have time or energy to pick trash nowadays.

I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but here it's always always more profitable to sell the parts, than it is to sell the fixed sets. However, that usually means Ebay, which is a horrible world for sellers. It's also impossible to make any money on just one set or two for parts. Again Ebay fails by allowing anyone to look at completed listings. It used to be you had to have at least an Ebay buying or selling account to see that. I swear most of these fools think it's some kind of cash flea market, where they will pull parts off of their broken TV, and just magically sell them for cash to buyers that magically need them and want them right now and badly. The words "shipping", "feedback", "claims", and of course "ridiculous fees" ... mean nothing to them. Then again, this general problem isn't exclusive to TVs or even electronic parts. The new free Facebook "swip swap" groups are just as riddled with it as Craigs for all sorts of items.

Comment

Hmm I've been doing pretty good with Craigslist in my area. I've been giving these to family members at cost. Neighbor up the street wants something for his garage so that is what I'm on the lookout for now.

$100 for a 72" samsung HL72a650 dlp - intermittent lamp issue. Replaced all the caps on power supply and cap on ballast for $26 in parts, new OEM bulb for $80. Working fine although it has 6 stuck pixels which means $180 in dlp chip replacement coming up. Still will have under $400 in it after that.- Game day tv in the basement to go along with a projector. Nvidia 3d works on it so in process of making it a driving simulator monitor.

$50 for a panasonic TC-p50s30 - 7 blinking lights, sent off SU, SD, SC, SS boards to moduslink for $110 during a special - spare tv to loan out if anyone has set issues, doubles as a game day tv

$150 for a panasonic tc-p65s2 - 7 blinking lights, sent off SU, SD, SC boards to moduslink for $150 during one of their specials, bad power supply sub board. Unable to find 230v 1000uF cap so just bought new sub board for $25. - Brother-in-law's tv

0$ for a Samsung 50" 720p dlp. Guy just wanted it picked up - only needed a new oem bulb for under $70 - Parents tv

I have yet to have a bad experience or get ripped off on Craigslist but I don't use it a huge amount. Been screwed a few times on ebay though
                Last edited by blackoper; 09-19-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I guess I am way overpaying.. I usually buy LCD/LED TVs for around $50-$100 depending on the age and if the screen is good..

If the screen is obviously cracked, then I usually just put out $20, regardless of the age of the TV...

Sometimes I make a really awesome deal.. Recently, I got a nice slim SPECTRE 50" LED. The Power PCB was pulled out and I couldn't tell if the screen was cracked or not. I paid the guy $20 and figured I would take a chance.

I bought a new Power PCB for $30 and I'll be dipped in sheet, the screen was good.. Works awesomely..

Comment

I think i'll stick to laptop mainboards. I've reballed the Northbridge on the CQ62 board and it still doesn't POST, i'll flash the BIOS tomorrow and hopefully it'll work.

Had another board lying around with the same chipset and same issue, a HP 625 board. Just got done reballing this one - works great. Now to find the laptop to go with it...
                    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 09-21-2014, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I don't buy broken panels from private parties anymore unless its a crazy deal, I got taken once and that was enough for me.

I get mine though local thrift shops/ e recycle that get them for free, so I don't end up paying much for my projects at all.

Seems like the prices on these new LED panels have dropped down so much that anyone can afford them so reselling has become a slight pain.

Samsung up were I am at is super popular, I can sell a 40+ Samsung panel in a day or less, sometimes a couple of days depending on what else is up for sale at the times. Any other good brand seems to sit for weeks/months sometimes.

For example, yesterday I got a 32" Element LCD 3200 (Polaroid/LG) for 5.00, the tv powered on but the RF/Buttons were not super responsive or just didn't work. I took it apart and cleaned all the connection and reseated the mainboard and the TV works 100% I have no idea how much this little 720p panel would sell for if it would at all but eh it works.

Seattle is the same way for sellers wanting gold for their broken shit, but sometimes a good deal can be had but you have to be super fast as the flies swarm a deal like brown on poo.

I always take a remote, power cord and my 4runner has a built in inverter to power on LED/LCD panels enough to see but the places I get mine I get to access power and play around with them as much as I want. I also take a bright LED flashlight to check for cracked panels (life saver when I was buying from private parties).

Bummer you got taken, just goes to show that you cannot trust a sellers word anymore.
                      Last edited by Shinju; 09-21-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinju View Post
                        Bummer you got taken, just goes to show that you cannot trust a sellers word anymore.
                        You can't trust anyone in this country. I've run across a guy a couple months ago that has two laptop repair shops, it's the only guy i've talked with lately that says work is going good.

He said that he only buys broken laptops off customers if they agree to sit with him for an hour while he checks all parts such as drive, memory, screen. That's a bit extreme but honestly, hats off to him as we should all be doing that before we put the money down.

Some people really can think they can get away with it, we've had some outrageous claims at the shop as well, with laptops that had obviously been tampered with in some way, or had liquid spilled and the like. In the end all was solved with the customer paying what he should and the job done, but it still takes more headaches that it should sometimes.

Funny thing is that i never had these kind of issues with my own customers that i get from my ads in the forums, but i only post in specialized forums. I have ads in the largest computer gaming forum in Romania, and in a local engineers/techs forum. I guess that people smart enough to post in those forums are also educated enough not to be assholes about the stuff they want fixed. I'll stick to the tried and true from now on.

I myself have a word that goes like this: Nobody's to be trusted. Not even me. I tell that to my girlfriends. I guess this proves it true, yet again...

That money would've bought 2-3 weeks' worth of beer... Oh well, i guess i'll just drink less beer... Nah, not a chance.

Comment

On a positive note, the CQ62 board is now fixed. Went thru 4 BIOS dumps till i found one that worked, but work it does. Time to sell.

Comment

Stripped the TV completely yesterday. To my surprise, the Tcon board hasn't been tampered with. It should be good.

At least i can put that up for sale, so not all was lost. Also the power supply will be great for parts.

Comment

I threw out a cracked Bravia a couple of weeks ago after gutting the thing... I put it on the curb and it was gone by the next morning. I felt the guy who took the worthless thing must have felt had... Oh, at least I left him the CCFLs.

Only time I can remember getting gyped was more than ten years ago when I bought some fake Nanya RAM. No wonder why it went so cheap.

Speaking of Gyped, I met some Gypsies not too long ago for a business deal who claimed they were "Hungarians" over the phone... As soon as I saw them I knew they were scammers, I bet you have a lot of their type in Romania too. Sometimes the Gypsies try to pass themselves off as Jews and collect money by the Kosher Supermarket. All they know are a couple of words in Hebrew, but the stupid people give them so it makes it worthwhile.
                              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                I have never understood the rationale behind that.
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                X