Emerson LC401EM3F No power - Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emerson LC401EM3F No power - Please Help

Hoping you can help me. I've got a Emerson LC401EM3F. Turned it off and went to work, came home turned it on and the red light came on then went off and now the TV does absolutely nothing. No red light or lights of any kind, nothing, not a thing. I unplugged and let sit, plugged it back in and still nothing. Had extended warranty but the warranty company says (without looking at it) it would cost more than its worth to fix so they're just sending me a gift card for Walmart for $216.00 for what we paid on black Friday 2012. Pulled the back off the TV and had no bulging caps. The power supply board for my Emerson LC401EM3F is Board number BA01P0F0103 5. Here's a link to a pic of it http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/r...pse39e5f18.jpg I have no experience in repairing Tv's but am very D.I.Y oriented. Just wondering what you think would be the main problem or if you think there's going to be multiple problems and I should just buy a new board and throw it in?

I have replaced:
    IC1201
    D1208, 1607, 1608, 1609, 1610,
    D1201, 1202, 1203, 1204

When I plug it in, all I get is a click. I assume that is a relay which is normal from what I understand. But still have no lights of any kind.
    Any help you could give would be appreciated. Thanks...

Re: Emerson LC401EM3F No power - Please Help

Are the output voltages of the power supply ok? Is the inverter integrated into the power supply?
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Will most likely have a shorted MOSFET, shorted zener shorted transistor and 3 open resistors on the power supply. Emerson has several of these models with similar crappy power supplies. If you give us clear pictures to mark up we can circle parts for you to test.
      Check out this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36180
      Last edited by Caleb; 06-15-2014, 08:02 PM.
      Liberating magic smoke one part at a time

Comment

Thanks again for the help. All Mosfets have been replace but one. What I have replaced has been circled. The only Mosfet not replaced is the
        one on the large heat sink in top left corner.

Last edited by sawilson; 06-15-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Wow you have been busy, have you just been replacing parts without testing or were all those bad? Also that picture is still not clear enough to see all the board designations. Common failures on these are 1\4 watt zener diodes as well as the current limiting resistors for the MOSFETs, I see what appear to be three cement resistors what resistance do they test as?
          Last edited by Caleb; 06-15-2014, 08:39 PM.

Comment

I ordered a repair kit from shopjimmy which stated what to replace for different symptoms. I don't have a meter so I simply replaced all that was sent. I know I should have tested but again, no meter. Hopefully this will be clear/large enough to see.

Attached Files

Comment

Wondering if after all this I should just buy a board off ebay...

Comment

You can get a decent enough meter for less than 25$, You can get a good one for about 50$ unfortunately without a meter you won't be able to tell what is good and what is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech View Post
                  Are the output voltages of the power supply ok? Is the inverter integrated into the power supply?
                  Yes, I believe the inverter is built into the power board.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb View Post
                    You can get a decent enough meter for less than 25$, You can get a good one for about 50$ unfortunately without a meter you won't be able to tell what is good and what is bad.

I was thinking of getting one but I could get another board for about another $30 more on ebay and just save the hard work lol. Was just wondering (hoping) if anyone might have an easy out...

Comment

You can go that route if you want, but when your TV dies again and with the build quality it has it will die again you will be out the money for another board. And a multimeter is an amazing tool, useful for many repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb View Post
                        You can go that route if you want, but when your TV dies again and with the build quality it has it will die again you will be out the money for another board. And a multimeter is an amazing tool, useful for many repairs.
                        I've just never used one before. I feel comfortable doing all the soldering/desoldering but have never touched a meter before or actually know how to use one. If I knew how, I'd definitely go that route to fix it.

Comment

A couple hours spent on youtube will give you all the basics on how to use your meter.

Comment

Do you think it could be a bad cap even though they all look perfect? The caps are the main things I havent replaced and would take nothing to do. Could it be a bad relay?

Comment

I also need to say that it's not blowing the fuse. Don't know if that matters but wanted to put that out there.

Comment

I doubt its the caps, although I did have one with a shorted primary cap (hec) a few months ago. I would still bet on more bad diodes and possibly open resistors. Ive circled some likely suspects but you wont be able to tell if they are faulty simply by looking at them.
                                if one or more of the current limiting resistors is open it would not blow the fuse, same with a shorted small signal diode, cant source enough current to blow the fuse but isnt going to work either.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Caleb; 06-16-2014, 02:38 PM.

Comment

That's about the only thing that you can find out without a meter. Yes...the relay clicks therefore the voltage is getting past the fuse. Without a meter, you're just swapping parts. You might have a perfectly good power supply that you changed parts on. You really need to know what the output voltages are. Or just keep swapping parts and hope you don't put in a bad one. Borrow a meter from someone. Please.
                                  The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

May be getting the new board or send it in for repair service since you do not have the tools to do the works
                                    http://www.shopjimmy.com/magnavox-a1...supply-cba.htm
                                    Once you get the power supply board to come on, next thing will need to check the main board and the inverter board.
                                    Last edited by budm; 06-16-2014, 04:24 PM.
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thanks all for the help. Picked up a power board on ebay for $50 and threw it in, TV came right on with no problems . Works like new. Hard to believe this repair would of cost me about $250 through a shop... Thanks again.

Comment

Caleb i have the same issue on emerson power board no blown fuse but no power,i followed your instructions on what to check on the board,i uploaded my board with the same components you have marked on yours,readings are as followed,
                                        R1604.........0 ohm (removed from board)
                                        R659...........(.1 ohm)
                                        R1720.........0 ohm
                                        R1719.........0 ohm
                                        R609...........(.2 ohm)
                                        D1713.........(.685).....0L.....when leads are reversed
                                        D1407..........(.691)....0L..... ----
                                        D1710..........(.689).....0L.... -----

Is there anything else i should check for and how can i get the parts needed

Thanks for your help and expertise.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by philfree; 07-27-2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X