Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba 42hp66 Plasma screen issue

Hey Guys
    I could use some help trying to troubleshoot my plasma tv. The issue is the screen flashes and has red, blue and green pixels in the darks areas of the screen. I have read some things about these tvs having a mal discharge issue and need to have the firmware updated. Some times when you first turn the set on the picture is fuzzy but then clears a little as the set warms up. I have checked the Vs and Vo voltages and both are reading ok. The Vs was about 1.5 volts high so I did adjust it down a little but still have the same problem. Do you think adjusting the set up and set dn on the y - sus board will help clear this up. I didn't want to make any adjustments to those yet because I was not sure if you needed a o scope to make those adjustments.
    Attached Files

Re: Toshiba 42hp66 Plasma screen issue

Sounds like the. Ipm under the heatsink on x main or y main needs replaced

Comment

LG based chassis...?

Red-spot/Mal-Discharge for LG sets is cured/helped by a control-board firmware-update. Capkid in USA can do this for you.
      If you were in UK, I may have been able to help, as have the same kit/software.

As a side note you can help the situation with the mal-discharge by reducing the Vs by say--5V and adjusting carefully the SET_Up to a point that the spots Just dont show.

Mark the pre-sets before adjusting,--just for reference and piece of mind.

Bit difficult to see in your vids, but the picture flicker could be much the same as I had on an L.G. 42X3####
      -- Turned out the Energy-Recovery IGBT's In the IPM were faulty. (Normally either the complete board, or the IPM is replaced. I did it a little differently however.)

--Check the make/model of your PDP chassis--It'll be on the actual plasma metalwork inside the set, near the top.....
      TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
      http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
      PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Re: Toshiba 42hp66 Plasma screen issue Need help!

Sorry for the slow reply but I was oout of town for a few days. Still could use some help from you guys trying to troubleshoot this tv. This is a 2006 lg panel (pdp 42x32000) inside a toshiba box. From what I have read these sets were prone to have a mal discharge issue. As you can see from the video sometimes the screen will show a blue image when the backround is dark with multi colored pixels showing in the balck areas. When the backround is light you can see flashes in the light colors. Looks like lighting in the backround. Also see a picture of a menu screen that shows the blue image during a dark backround. Hopefully I'm explaining this right to help figure out what is going on with this set and if it can be fixed or should be scraped.
        Attached Files

Comment

Do both the IPM's get fairly warm/hot?

If so, chances are--they are OK.

I had a similar situation but the Z-SUS IPM stayed stone-cold, Y-SUS IPM was warm.

The stone-cold one was faulty.
          TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
          http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
          PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Both IPM's are warm but not hot. I can still hold my hand on them after about an hour of being on. Both feel about the same temp. Is this normal or should they be hotter? Also another heat sink on the y board is hot and I can't keep my hand on it. Should the ipm's be about the same temp?

Comment

Alastair, how do I get in touch with Capkid? I have a 42hp66 with red spots. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X