X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp LC-60LE835U No Response

Sharp LC-60LE835U

Greetings all!

I picked up two (2) of these big screens from a friend who was getting ready to toss them out. They were used outdoors (but exposed to salt air and high humidity common in South Florida). According to him, one powered on, but could not display cable, hdmi, or component video. The other was just dead.

On external visual inspection, it was clear that salt corrosion had severely degraded all of the video inputs on the back of the units, so I figured that replacing the MBs would probably be the first action necessary to bring them back to life.

When I got them home, I attempted to power then up. Sure enough, one was dead, and the second, after some difficulty (and I'm still not sure how), came to life with a screen full of bluish white noise. I could not get it to respond to either the touch control panel, or the remote control. So for this one, I concluded that I probably had connector issue on the touch control board, IR control board or both.

I ordered boards (Encompass Parts in Atlanta, was reasonably priced and made quick deliveries), and began the with the disassembly of the powereable set.

Upon disassembly, I noted that their was indeed evidence of corrosion on the IR board connectors, and the touch sensitive control board. Ordered those parts as well (still waiting on the control board). But for the most part, the internals of TV looked to be in very good shape. I.E., no real evidence of corrosion except where a component was directly exposed to the environment.

I should add at this point that I removed the control board to clean it, and in the process, probably rendered it permanently inoperable. Apparently the sticky backing on the board which attaches to the back of the touch surface, enables the touch pressure to transfer to pads on the boards. (according to the service manual, "defoliating" the board requires its replacement.)

Anyway, I installed the MB, cleaned connectors as well as possible and powered up the unit. Surprise... I got nothing, not even the white noise with which I started. (BTW, cabinet back was not re-installed. Is that okay?). RC and touch pad does not seem to work, still.

I suspect that with the replacement of the MB, I need to perform a reset. And I will try the reset instructions on found in this forum this evening.

I also noted that I am only getting 5 volts from the PD connector (pin 15) from the PS board. Pin one should be outputting 12V, but is not.

Not certain if the touch control board is getting 5 Volts or not ( I think not). This board also provides power to the IR control board. So my worry is, if the touch control is not getting the Voltage it needs, then neither will the IR board. So how can I do a reset?

Another question, is it normal that the PS does not supply 12 volts when the set is in (as I've seen it called in this forum) Fake Sleep Mode? Do I have a PS problem now since I changed the MB?

Anyone have any ideas about "refoliating" the touch control pad board?

Thanks in advance

I

Re: Sharp LC-60LE835U No Response

I've got a working (but partially cracked screen) LC-60LE632U in the shop right now. It still displays most of the picture so I know it's working correctly. I can get you voltages or parts if needed. Let me know.

Comment

Thanks Johnboy. As I understand it, the 632U differs from the 635 only in that yours is not 3D. I image in there should be a lot of commonality between the two.

My Tv has a 23 pin PD connector to the MB. If I recall correctly, P1 should read 12V, P3 should read ~13.3 V, and pin 15 should be ~5.3 V. ( read those values from the board itself). The question is, does the PS output all of those values in standby or sleep mode?

Also, do you know the voltage pinouts for the touch panel board?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Service manual could help.
        (It's for the *838, but that should be a close model.)
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks, but I already have the service manual. I'm disappointed that it has no schematics for the PS, and no real pinouts from the system block diagrams. Are you aware of any other sources for these schematics. (btw, the link you sent was broken)
          Regards

Comment

Another thought... since this is a new (refurb) MB, is it possible that I need to load firmware to get it started? If so, how can I load firmware if the unit does not power up. Probably not an issue, but if anyone knows for sure, It like to eliminate that possibility.

Regards

Comment

looks like a typo'd the address

Unfortunately if the schematics aren't in there, Sharp probably did not publish them.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Tom66, the manual that you linked to has way more info than the one I had, including schematics for the MB , the IR board and a few others. (not the PS though as far as I can tell). So thanks, I think it will help after all.

From what I've read so far, the 5 volts on PD pin15 on the PS board is normal in the (deep sleep mode). I suspect it won't reawaken until I can enter "process adjustment mode", and I will need the new touch sensor board installed to do that. Hopefully that will come tomorrow. In the meantime thanks, and I'll let you all know as soon as I know more myself.
                Regards

Comment

The East Coast snow storm delayed the arrival of the touch sensor board for the TV, so I am just now getting back to this problem.

I installed the new board this morning and voila, the TV came alive! In fact both TV's are now working. The control boards must have become delaminated in the South Florida heat and humidity, and could not convey control commands to the MB. Anyway, it was a very easy fix, and the picture on both TVs is exceptional.

Of course, there's one small problem. When I was removing the board (which is glued to the rear of the bezel), I was too aggressive and pulled the paint ( or whatever the opaque coating is) from the bezel. So now from the front of the TV I can see the back of the replacement board. I was more careful with the second one and had no problems with it.

Anyone have any ideas how to repair this? I thought I might try to make a masking stencil that shows the ch up, down, etc, symbols on it and then paint the back of the bezel black.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Comment

Hi
                    Use a universal remote if it work fixed many.
                    Techman1025

Comment

Working...
                    X