Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshiba 50HP95, picture goes blank, sound OK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba 50HP95, picture goes blank, sound OK.

I purchased this 50" plasma for $45, knowing it had issues. The owner said sometimes the picture would go out. I cleaned the dust out, and used it for over a month before the problem appeared. It seemed to happen after warm-up. It took a while to reappear after I removed the back of the set.I thought I had narrowed it down to a couple of power resistors on the main power supply with my cold spray and hair dryer. I replaced the resistors, and touched up the solder joints in the general area. All was good for a few days, then the problem came back. But now it can happen almost anytime, and seems worse when first turned on. The sound is always fine, no popping noises or burned smells. The screen seems on, as in has a blank raster, just no picture. It often starts with a horizontal flicker or lines interrupting the picture. I also noticed on dark images, alternating green and purple color bars overlaying the picture. I will include a couple of sample videos I took of both issues. When the picture is blank, I still get all the correct voltages on the PS outputs, but do notice a change in the Vsus voltage readings from picture to no picture. Any ideas where to go next? It is so intermittent it is a pain to duplicate. It is on a stand in the living room with the back off so I can try to catch it when it blanks out.
    Norm

Re: Toshiba 50HP95, picture goes blank, sound OK.

Youtube video links,

http://youtu.be/24CtffKS9bE

http://youtu.be/DJdHR8ihh58

I hope these work....
    Norm

Comment

OK, Newbie question. This TV has a board on each side, one is XSUS, one is ZSUS. Which one is horizontal, and vertical? Maybe if I looked around the forum, I'd find out ?
      Norm

Comment

For this tv, Xmain Y main Y and Z sutstain are not the words to describe those boards. You will most likely find them under the names of SC board(aka Ysus) and SS board(aka xsus). Your SC board is allways going to be on the left and your SS board on the right. This is If you are looking at your tv from the back side, so you are standing behind it, looking at the boards.
        This is the SS board, and it is located on the right side of the panel.
        http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-t...8-ss-board.htm

This is the SC board, and it is located on the left side of the panel.
        http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-t...7-sc-board.htm

Now is this your question?

Comment

I have 2 questions. I think the picture flicker is related to the main power board, since after my work to the board (see above) changed the symtoms. But the horizontal color bars on dark scenes, wouldn't this be related to one of these other boards?
          Thanks for the great response by the way!
          This TV has a great picture when working properly, and was well worth the $45 and the back sprain moving it to it's new home. :0

Comment

Honestly, I haven't really done much work with toshibas, nor those kind of onscreen issues.
            What you described usually happens due to the tv heating up and causing certain parts to expand. Now you said you did the hairdryer test. Beyond that, I don't really know what else you can try.

If you want to go ahead and try swithching out the main board, make sure you purchase it from a retailer that accepts returns.
            Good luck

Comment

I think the main power board is the way I'll go first. But does anyone here think it will help with the color bands on dark scenes? (see video link) I was watching "Evoloution" last night on NBC, and the night scenes are a drag to watch, considering how well the TV performs any other time.

Comment

Replaced the SC board with a new unit, and the main power board with a tested used unit, all is well! Thanks all who gave good advice and the great resources here on this forum. (like Shopjimmy)

Comment

Oh, and total spent on this TV: $160.00. And I cant believe the picture! Just bought a new Sony wifi streaming blue ray player, and its incredible!

Comment

Working...
                  X