Ultra-slim Samsung smart tv question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultra-slim Samsung smart tv question.

In November I found a 46" slim samsung smart tv at my recycle center. The tv works perfect but in the bin at the place a large CRT tv was places on top of the tv and broke the stand off and cracked the top of the lcd causing a bar on the top left, still viewable just annoying to have a 4 X 12 inch bar in the way. I looked up on samsungs website and i created a servicing ticket and also found out online that a full warrenty + labor cost warrenty is in effect until 10/12/14, and it was manufactured in 2009 so thats amazing. My question is if i call samsung saying it was "a gift" from a friend would they suspect me of steeling the TV. I don't want to say i found it at a dump as they probably wouldnt fix it.
    I have salvaged and fixed 18 TVs (1 DLP), 22 LCD monitors, 8 stereos, network stuff, and more laptops and computers than i can count.

Service Menu/Factory Reset Codes for TVs
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Re: Ultra-slim Samsung smart tv question.

Originally posted by henrysin44 View Post
    In November I found a 46" slim samsung smart tv at my recycle center. The tv works perfect but in the bin at the place a large CRT tv was places on top of the tv and broke the stand off and cracked the top of the lcd causing a bar on the top left, still viewable just annoying to have a 4 X 12 inch bar in the way. I looked up on samsungs website and i created a servicing ticket and also found out online that a full warrenty + labor cost warrenty is in effect until 10/12/14, and it was manufactured in 2009 so thats amazing. My question is if i call samsung saying it was "a gift" from a friend would they suspect me of steeling the TV. I don't want to say i found it at a dump as they probably wouldnt fix it.
    I have salvaged and fixed 18 TVs (1 DLP), 22 LCD monitors, 8 stereos, network stuff, and more laptops and computers than i can count.

Comment

Such damage wouldn't be covered under any warranty. It's considered user damage.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hypothetically would my concern apply?

Comment

What do you mean? They see a bar like that, they're going to take one look at it and say the panel is cracked/bad and it is user damage which isn't covered. Will they say you stole it? It's not their job to get involved in that, but they MIGHT ask for a purchase receipt or card invoice/bill.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Most likely the reason it was in the recycling center was because of a cracked screen to start with. The large crt tv might have just snapped off the stand but the lcd panel was already broken. And the original owner may have already gone through the options of trying before with no luck.

Basically nobody in there right mind will throw out a perfect working 46" nearly new flat panel for no reason. Something had to be wrong in the first place.
            Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

weirdly enough, they do in my town, alot of rich people.

Comment

Bottom line is, Samsung will most likely refuse to fix it, you have no right to request a repair and they'll probably ask for payment proof anyway. However, there's nothing stopping you trying.

People don't just chuck these things in tips for no reason. There's always a reason. Usually it boils down to it being faulty in some way or another, a cracked screen is a common cause.

AFAIK, UN46B6000 isn't a Smart TV. I have a UE32B6000 and it isn't smart. It has no internet features, it does have a USB port which plays pictures and music, and with a little service menu tweak it can be altered to play movies too. Smart features are available on TVs B7000 and up, and later C6000 LED series.
                Last edited by tom66; 01-02-2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                  Bottom line is, Samsung will most likely refuse to fix it, you have no right to request a repair and they'll probably ask for payment proof anyway. However, there's nothing stopping you trying.

People don't just chuck these things in tips for no reason. There's always a reason. Usually it boils down to it being faulty in some way or another, a cracked screen is a common cause.

AFAIK, UN46B6000 isn't a Smart TV. I have a UE32B6000 and it isn't smart. It has no internet features, it does have a USB port which plays pictures and music, and with a little service menu tweak it can be altered to play movies too. Smart features are available on TVs B7000 and up, and later C6000 LED series.
                  thats weird, mine has smart hub and a ethernet port

Comment

Perhaps someone installed the B7/8000 series kernel on it? Or put B7/8000 main board in it? I recall that being possible. The ethernet is intended for DLNA (media player over network.) The mainboard is the same for all models, just neutered for the non-Smart sets. I pondered installing the kernel on my B6000 but didn't want to brick it, all too easy to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X