Samsung LN-S4041D vertical RBG lines- ongoing repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LN-S4041D vertical RBG lines- ongoing repair

So, I have done over 6 hours of repair and research trying to fix the screen of my older 40" Samsung LN-S4041D LCD. I am getting the familiar black screen with no audio but I have thin, randomly spaced, vertical red blue and green lines. I still have good audio but obviously none of the menus will come up.

I inspected the power supply board and found no obvious failed capacitors but I still replaced the usual culprits anyways. I did use cheap Radio Shack caps (I already had them in the drawer) with the intention of replacing them with better caps if the repair worked. There was no difference in the screen after the cap replacement.

I checked all voltages coming off the board with the unit on and plugged in. Every output voltage specified on the circuit board was dead on correct.

I inspected the areas that others have pointed out with bad soldering. Worked it over pretty good with a magnifying glass and still no luck finding any obvious failures.

I then removed the"tcon" board near the top of the screen to give it a good inspection. I checked the small SMD fuse near the input ribbon connector and it was showing a good circuit and allowing 5 volts to pass through to the rest of the circuitry. Just for fun, I disconnected the TCon board from the video board and fired up the Tv. It booted up just like normal except the lines were gone from the screen. This leads me to believe it could be the TCon board that is causing the ultimate issue.

I am looking for more information on these Tcon boards. Info about repairing the board itself and/or replacement information would be very welcome!

Re: Samsung LN-S4041D vertical RBG lines- ongoing repair

I've done this one (UK variant of it.) One of the three voltage regulators on the t-con is failed if you get vertical lines. They all output 2.5V IIRC, but one had failed on mine outputting about 1.3V.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Can you please point me in the right direction? I'm not sure where the voltage regulators are at on this board.

Comment

Each highlighted device is a regulator.

To test: TV powered on with fault. Multimeter set to 20 volt DC or autoranging volts DC. Black probe on chassis, red probe on each pin of the device. Note down voltages on each pin. You can skip the fat "tab" pin as that is electrically the same as the middle pin. Report results back, with the "refdes" e.g. U35 printed on the board. and part number e.g. "UMC1117-33" which is printed on the device. Pin order doesn't matter, number them mentally, but be consistent between regulators.

For example:
        regulator U11 part "UMC1117-ADJ"
        3.29 0.58 2.53
        Attached Files
        Last edited by tom66; 10-20-2013, 11:06 AM.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Checked all 3 and the voltage readings are consistent.

Comment

That's a surprise.. not the same issue. Huh.
            Can we get a picture of the problem just so I can see if it looks the same as what mine did?
            Mine had exact same T-con/power board and UK main board.

Comment

When the TV first boots up, the lines show up but dimly. After about 10 seconds, the color in the lines become more pronounced. Thanks again for your assistance so far!

Last edited by jjvaughn83; 10-20-2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

That is exactly the same fault I had. If you cannot find a bad voltage regulator I suggest you just replace the T-con board.

Comment

Where would be the best place to source the board?

Comment

Working...
                  X