Panasonic TC-50PU54 8 blinks picture flashes then dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic TC-50PU54 8 blinks picture flashes then dead

I just completed the 8 blink repair on my TC-P50U50. I bought the repair kit (Panasonic TXNSS1SDUU (TNPA5623) SS Board Component Repair Kit) from Shop Jimmy. I have very little electrical and soldering experience but was able to complete it successfully. The kit comes with a diode, transitor, resistor and a chip. I tested my resistor and it still read 5.6ohms the same as the new one so I decided not to replace it cause it looked like a huge pain in the a**. I followed the panasonic tech bulletin that someone posted earlier but only replaced the diode and resistor (which are the easiest to replace) and the TV now works. I reccommend a 40W soldering iron with a pencil tip and a small flat blade tip as well as using a solder wick to clean up the old solder. Good luck to any completing this task in the future and join us in never purchasing from Panasonic again!

Comment

Originally posted by spratt22 View Post
      I followed the panasonic tech bulletin that someone posted earlier but only replaced the diode and resistor (which are the easiest to replace) and the TV now works.
      Oops i meant to say only the diode and transistor

Comment

Do you have a link where I can purchase the repair kit?

Comment

Originally posted by Molinamike View Post
          Do you have a link where I can purchase the repair kit?
          As you'll see, kits vary but hard to argue with the SJ kit price.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-t...repair-kit.htm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PANASONIC...item2c8046a7c9

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Panasonic...item27e328f8b7

Comment

Hey guys. I found this tonight since my TC-P50UT50 made in June of 2012 just bit the dust. I am fine with working on the board and all but I just wanted to make sure the repair kit Jimmy sales gives the board location. Is it cheaper and maybe better off to replace the whole SS board?

Comment

Update. The last two weeks TV has been making a buzzing sound while I have been watching TV or movies. Today it started crackling and popping as well and it finally gave out. These noises appeared to becoming from something that drives the picture or the power since they do not occur when muted. I now get the 8 blinks of death once again. I let it cool for a while and the picture came up for about 15 seconds then shutdown and now it will not come up again. Not sure if I have the heart to repair it again.

Comment

Originally posted by spratt22 View Post
                Update. The last two weeks TV has been making a buzzing sound while I have been watching TV or movies. Today it started crackling and popping as well and it finally gave out. These noises appeared to becoming from something that drives the picture or the power since they do not occur when muted. I now get the 8 blinks of death once again. I let it cool for a while and the picture came up for about 15 seconds then shutdown and now it will not come up again. Not sure if I have the heart to repair it again.
                Sounds like if you had investigated the increasing noises , may have turned out the board was loose and poorly earthed since you mention arcing noises.

Were the screws replaced or tight with the first repair? I 've read the screws are part of the problem.
                Last edited by tw2005; 07-31-2014, 07:48 AM.

Comment

thanks for your update .i have ordered same repair kit for a tc-p50U50 i noticed also arcing marks on the frame , for sure , the best solution are ReRouting an Hard Ground wire for all Grounds subject to arc again that i will do for sure thanks a lot , , Badcaps.net is dope!! thanks all for your sharing , i feel like home on your forum

Comment

Spratt22 did you clean arcing marks on board and frame and replace screws with lock washers? Just wondering cause I just repaired one for a neighbor and the kit I got came with new screws.

Comment

Originally posted by mcf57 View Post
                      I have a TC-P50UT50 as well. I got this TV in April 2012. First, I lost its two HDMI ports around August 2014. I was then watching my TiVo through its HD Component inputs until I could maybe get this repaired. Recently, I got the 8 blinks of death too and was not happy that it has already totally failed. I did not get the extended warranty either.

I figured I had nothing to lose before I took it to a local repair shop so I called Panasonic up as an unhappy customer. I explained the situation and how I was not real pleased that two components on this TV failed within 2yrs of getting it. I have a Sony that is 3 yrs old with not a single problem and would consider Sony for my next HDTV purchase.

Long story short....Panasonic gave me a case number and told me to take it to a local designated shop for repair (about 30mins away). Along with my receipt from best Buy, Panasonic will now cover most of the parts cost for both of these issues. It will only cost me about $150 in labor charges.

I personally do not like getting extended warranties and realize they are gambles no matter how you look at it. I also figure I am still coming out ahead here as the GeekSquad warranty at the time was $200 for 2yrs.

In case anyone else has this issue, you may want to try something similar. Can't hurt and only will require your time to make the phone call.
                      Was the tv successfully repaired?

Did they give you a list of what parts they replaced and or any other work completed?

Great input in this forum. Currently doing my homework to hopefully resolve this same 8 blink (due to lightning through the hdmi input from cable box), on a different model Panasonic (TC-P65GT30). This has been the most informative forum I have come across thus far, much appreciated to all who have posted here.

Thanks,
                      Dan

Comment

Hey guys, has anyone had any luck resolving the 8 blink issue when it is intermittent? TV will power on and stay on between 5 seconds and multiple days before the 8 blink outage occurring) I have had my SS and A Board replaced (twice) so far and this hasn't done the trick. Any chance it could be coming from the power supply board?

Comment

Originally posted by PTHerring View Post
                          Hey guys, has anyone had any luck resolving the 8 blink issue when it is intermittent? TV will power on and stay on between 5 seconds and multiple days before the 8 blink outage occurring) I have had my SS and A Board replaced (twice) so far and this hasn't done the trick. Any chance it could be coming from the power supply board?
                          I am having the same intermittent recurrence. I haven't attempted a repair just yet - may just send it in to Panasonic.

Comment

Originally posted by ddpl View Post
                            I am having the same intermittent recurrence. I haven't attempted a repair just yet - may just send it in to Panasonic.
                            If it's under wty yes, if not ouch that may be expensive. So after the SS was replaced has it been good for ages now intermittent? maybe get the back off and check the screws are tight or that he board is earthing correctly. that seems to be the issue may save the SS blowing and all it may be.?

have you read this

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...8&d=1393180957
                            Last edited by tw2005; 10-18-2014, 04:19 PM.

Comment

8 blink error after 30-45 minutes of being on.

Top screw on SS board was not tight, I can see arcing marks between the SS board and metal chassis. Why wouldn't Panasonic tighten that particular screw, the others were tight.

Comment

Yep! Same issue with my neighbors son's TV. Pretty strange.

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                                  If it's under wty yes, if not ouch that may be expensive. So after the SS was replaced has it been good for ages now intermittent? maybe get the back off and check the screws are tight or that he board is earthing correctly. that seems to be the issue may save the SS blowing and all it may be.?

have you read this

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...8&d=1393180957
                                  I attempted the repair. Before it, the TV would shut off into 8 blink mode after around 5 minutes. Now it lasts about an hour before doing the same thing.

This was the state of the SS board:

http://imgur.com/cN8iwyk

Does it look like it's worth replacing with a new one?

I really want to get this TV to work again. IMO LED is not good enough to replace plasma yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pb86 View Post
                                    I have TC-P50UT50 since Aug-2012 and all of a sudden yesterday TV went bad with 8 Blink behavior. I've extended warranty so trying to go through that first.

But after searching through different Panasonic service manual, it seems like issue is with specific Transistor on SS Board. Most likely Q16051 which is most commonly used IGBT in Panasonic Plasma. Attached is the Panasonic Technical Bulletin and the exact part u can order.
                                    Is it possible to post manual for TC-P55ST50 please. I have exact same problem. 8 blinking lights of death.

Comment

Originally posted by dimafl666 View Post
                                      Is it possible to post manual for TC-P55ST50 please. I have exact same problem. 8 blinking lights of death.

Attached Files
                                      Last edited by tw2005; 12-05-2014, 01:13 AM.

Comment

I also was presented with a Panasonic TC-P50U50 Plasma with the (in)famous 8 blink syndrome.
                                        I noticed scorch marks on 2 SS board mounting screws: the top, and the one near the Vsus connector.
                                        Based on scorch marks, service manual flowchart, the great info on this forum and a technical bulletin (TB-13-02) from Panasonic, all suspicion fell to a defective SS board, specifically: Q051, D041 and R051.
                                        The gate resistor (R051) teseted fine, however, the diode and IGBT were shorted.
                                        These parts were replaced using the ShopJimmy repair kit, including sanding the scorch marks and installing the better mounting screws. To ensure good electrical contact, I also refreshed the solder around the screw mounting holes where the bottom of the SS board contacts the metal frame. As the screws form part of the circuit return path, (such a poor design choice!) the screws were torqued down nice and tight.
                                        The repair worked great! For about 10 minutes!
                                        The power relay clicked open, and set presented the annoying 8 blinks. As the rear case was open, I noticed the D041/Q051 heatsink was extremely hot. Analysis shows D041 and Q051 again shorted. Vsus measured about 210v+_. So I don't suspect the power supply. While it worked, picture was great.
                                        Ideas on this are welcome and appreciated before I replace the SS board. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by atedesco View Post
                                          I also was presented with a Panasonic TC-P50U50 Plasma with the (in)famous 8 blink syndrome.
                                          I noticed scorch marks on 2 SS board mounting screws: the top, and the one near the Vsus connector.
                                          Based on scorch marks, service manual flowchart, the great info on this forum and a technical bulletin (TB-13-02) from Panasonic, all suspicion fell to a defective SS board, specifically: Q051, D041 and R051.
                                          The gate resistor (R051) teseted fine, however, the diode and IGBT were shorted.
                                          These parts were replaced using the ShopJimmy repair kit, including sanding the scorch marks and installing the better mounting screws. To ensure good electrical contact, I also refreshed the solder around the screw mounting holes where the bottom of the SS board contacts the metal frame. As the screws form part of the circuit return path, (such a poor design choice!) the screws were torqued down nice and tight.
                                          The repair worked great! For about 10 minutes!
                                          The power relay clicked open, and set presented the annoying 8 blinks. As the rear case was open, I noticed the D041/Q051 heatsink was extremely hot. Analysis shows D041 and Q051 again shorted. Vsus measured about 210v+_. So I don't suspect the power supply. While it worked, picture was great.
                                          Ideas on this are welcome and appreciated before I replace the SS board. Thanks.
                                          Not sure but i think i've read some have had to replace the driver IC as well. So the resistor read correct value ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X