X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic TC-50PU54 8 blinks picture flashes then dead

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
    moduslinkpts do repair/return
    Thank you I wil give them a call today..

Comment

Hello all

I have a TC-50pu54 with the 8 blink problem.

Replaced the transistor, diode, resistor and IC as per the shopjimmy repair kit

No change. Sucks, thought I had a cheap tv to use. The resistor WAS blown, but everything else seemed ok. I do hear a faint buzz right before the power supply click off, its coming from the SS board. I can get a new SS board for $100.... might just try it

Comment

Hi all. Im a Newbie. I was hoping to get some feedback and opinion on repairing a Panasonic Plasma TV, model TCP50U50? Ive seen so many varied data sets online I figured Id post here and see if anyone can give me some feedback.

I will share my findings as they come. I took the TCP50U50 to a Panasonic recommended repair shop (I could maybe have done the repair, but again Ive seen so much varied info it may be out of my league). In any case right now Ive spent $70 to diagnose the problem (I took TV to shop vs. service call). The $70 will be applied to repair (if deemed "fixable" or worthy of repair).

Here's the crux... out of warranty, just over 2 years since purchase. Semi-frequent use (average 4 hrs a day). Now I could have sworn it originally blinked 8 times, after I lost my picture. However when I took it into the shop we plugged it in again and it blinked 7 times.

So what do you guys think? I appreciate any friendly feedback. Again, I'll update with the repair shops diagnosis, cost, if it's fried, et. I guess Im wondering if anyone familiar with this TV thinks I have any shot in HE** of having it repaired successfully at a reasonable cost? Id hate to go buy a new one. One, b/c it's not that old, but two, Im just sick and tired of the throw-away mentality many of today's manufactured goods elicit from customers. A box fan (to cool the house) lasts a year or two, then its done... time to buy a new one. (sorry to editorialize).

Anyway, thanks in advance to any insight you may be able to offer! Much obliged!

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie_TCP50U50 View Post
          Hi all. Im a Newbie. I was hoping to get some feedback and opinion on repairing a Panasonic Plasma TV, model TCP50U50? Ive seen so many varied data sets online I figured Id post here and see if anyone can give me some feedback.

I will share my findings as they come. I took the TCP50U50 to a Panasonic recommended repair shop (I could maybe have done the repair, but again Ive seen so much varied info it may be out of my league). In any case right now Ive spent $70 to diagnose the problem (I took TV to shop vs. service call). The $70 will be applied to repair (if deemed "fixable" or worthy of repair).

Here's the crux... out of warranty, just over 2 years since purchase. Semi-frequent use (average 4 hrs a day). Now I could have sworn it originally blinked 8 times, after I lost my picture. However when I took it into the shop we plugged it in again and it blinked 7 times.

So what do you guys think? I appreciate any friendly feedback. Again, I'll update with the repair shops diagnosis, cost, if it's fried, et. I guess Im wondering if anyone familiar with this TV thinks I have any shot in HE** of having it repaired successfully at a reasonable cost? Id hate to go buy a new one. One, b/c it's not that old, but two, Im just sick and tired of the throw-away mentality many of today's manufactured goods elicit from customers. A box fan (to cool the house) lasts a year or two, then its done... time to buy a new one. (sorry to editorialize).

Anyway, thanks in advance to any insight you may be able to offer! Much obliged!

theyll probably stick you with a bill that is about $75 less than what a brand new LCD tv would cost.

I know, i used to work at one of those places. They normally just swap the board out thats bad too. if they go component level its only when the fix is obvious or well known.

Comment

Originally posted by resinis View Post
            Hello all

I have a TC-50pu54 with the 8 blink problem.

Replaced the transistor, diode, resistor and IC as per the shopjimmy repair kit

No change. Sucks, thought I had a cheap tv to use. The resistor WAS blown, but everything else seemed ok. I do hear a faint buzz right before the power supply click off, its coming from the SS board. I can get a new SS board for $100.... might just try it

EDIT- hey, I do notice though, now after the 'fix', the panel does light up for a second before it clicks out again. I also did the TP101 test and it there is no short, the the A board should be OK. I think I just need to replace my SS board entirely...

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie_TCP50U50 View Post

I forgot to follow-up on this. I took it to a Panasonic Preferred Repair shop (saved the $$ on an in-house visit). They Diagnosed the problem for $75... this was deducted from my repair bill, as the Repairman said the board that needed replacement isnt the worst case scenario (Im sorry, I cant recall which board... I can look it up on the invoice if anyone's curious). It baried from 8 blinks, then to 7 blinks (Im almost positive it started as 8 -but maybe I was so pissed my mathematics / addition skills were lacking when it first went out.

So I opted to have it fixed, and it works pretty damn good! $250+\- for the repair (I inherited the TV so it's not that much considering I didnt buy it new).

My only question now is, the HD picture just doesn't seem to sharp. Is this due to the 50inch size? Or is it due to my Cable Connection signal strength? My smaller LCD TV's are much more crisp. Ive tweaked the settings but it seems less HD than what Id hoped.

So does the larger the size effect sharpness/quality? Thanks in advance guys! My only other complaint is this TV gives off a fair amount of heat! Not bad in the winter, but it's a power hungry set to begin with, compounded with emitting more heat than many LCD's for eg., it likely ups my electric bill.

Hope my feedback helps. For me, the $250+\- to fix seems worth it.

Thanks in advance. Great forum/website! Hey Now!

Comment

[QUOTE=pb86;423440]I have TC-P50UT50 since Aug-2012 and all of a sudden yesterday TV went bad with 8 Blink behavior. I've extended warranty so trying to go through that first.

Thanks pb86, my TC-P50U50 went bad with the same symptoms and its exactly what you posted in your trouble shooting bulletin. Transitor burned out, PCB is burned and arcing marks on the PCB. I ordered this parts kits and hope it will fix it:
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/201131281274

Comment

Sorry to intrude on an existing thread I'm not able to open a new thread for some reason. I have the tc-50pu50 with 8 blinks also and replaced the parts on the ss board to correct this and noticed that component PC251 broke off the board and is nowhere to be found, does anyone know what this component is? It is on the TNPA5623 ss board.

Comment

Originally posted by scotha View Post
                    Sorry to intrude on an existing thread I'm not able to open a new thread for some reason. I have the tc-50pu50 with 8 blinks also and replaced the parts on the ss board to correct this and noticed that component PC251 broke off the board and is nowhere to be found, does anyone know what this component is? It is on the TNPA5623 ss board.
                    optocoupler, PS2701A-1-F3-A. Pretty common on the panasonic boards if you happen to have any old SS or SC boards that are scrap.

Broken off implies the pads are torn off too. could make it had to fix

Comment

Thankyou! the pads are still intact but you can see where the legs were soldered to the pads.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by scotha View Post
                        Thankyou! the pads are still intact but you can see where the legs were soldered to the pads.
                        clean break, that's handy then. does look like someone has been soldering in there. Did you replace the Driver IC? Someone found after their new parts were installed it shorted agian needing the driver IC replaced to finish the job.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49048
                        Last edited by tw2005; 10-13-2015, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Yes, I replaced the driver, transistor, diode and resistor that comes as a kit but did not notice that the optocoupler was broken off. Thanks again.

Comment

I've got a TC-P50UT50 about 3 years old that crapped out on me a few days ago. I know nothing about tv repair, never soldered anything in my life, don't own a volt meter. I would like to replace the correct board but not sure really how to go about doing it without being able to test anything. I could use some help please. I've attached a couple pictures. I unplugged the power wire on the left side of the picture and the blinks switched from 8 to 7…..does that mean that the left board is bad? If so, where can I get that board online? Is it as simple as unscrewing a fews screws to replace this board?

I really appreciate any help given, always loved the picture of this but can't afford to put hundreds of dollars in to fixing it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by yankmccobb76 View Post
                              I've got a TC-P50UT50 about 3 years old that crapped out on me a few days ago. I know nothing about tv repair, never soldered anything in my life, don't own a volt meter. I would like to replace the correct board but not sure really how to go about doing it without being able to test anything. I could use some help please. I've attached a couple pictures. I unplugged the power wire on the left side of the picture and the blinks switched from 8 to 7…..does that mean that the left board is bad? If so, where can I get that board online? Is it as simple as unscrewing a fews screws to replace this board?

I really appreciate any help given, always loved the picture of this but can't afford to put hundreds of dollars in to fixing it.
                              Hmm....

Well, you are gonna have to buy/borrow at the very least a digital test-meter, that will read ohms, volts etc!
                              --without some checks, its going to be difficult/impossible to say what has failed....
                              TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                              http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                              PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Troubleshooting guide says SS or A board is the likeliest culprits. Any chance I could buy those online affordably and just replace both?

Comment

Troubleshooting guide says SS or A board is the likeliest culprits. Any chance I could buy those online affordably and just replace both?
                                  If you want to just take a gamble then i'd go with the SS board as it's a known issue. Chances of it being A-board would be slim.

It's doubtful you'll find a board now or cheap but why not try this seller.

Sold over 270 repair jobs with 100% feedback and board is tested in a TV after repair. $44 for parts and labour + wty is giveaway prices. he does a lot of other boards too.

Maybe explain the situation and they could check out the board prior to repair in case it's ok and let you know but i think it will be blown and you should replace those bolts with something better or make sure they are tight on both the SC & SS boards.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TNPA5623A...-/301295453582

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                                    If you want to just take a gamble then i'd go with the SS board as it's a known issue. Chances of it being A-board would be slim.

It's doubtful you'll find a board now or cheap but why not try this seller.

Sold over 270 repair jobs with 100% feedback and board is tested in a TV after repair. $44 for parts and labour + wty is giveaway prices. he does a lot of other boards too.

Maybe explain the situation and they could check out the board prior to repair in case it's ok and let you know but i think it will be blown and you should replace those bolts with something better or make sure they are tight on both the SC & SS boards.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TNPA5623A...-/301295453582
                                    I may give this a try, I think it's worth the gamble for that amount of money instead of having to buy a new tv. Can you tell me from that picture I attached which board is the SS board? I really appreciate the help.

Comment

OK I've pulled the SS board off and found that the top screw had scorch marks on it. Is it safe to assume that this board had grounding issues and is fried? I'm going to see the board off for repair, what screws should I get to prevent this from happening again?

Comment

Took a couple pictures.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

OK I've pulled the SS board off and found that the top screw had scorch marks on it. Is it safe to assume that this board had grounding issues and is fried? I'm going to see the board off for repair, what screws should I get to prevent this from happening again?
                                          looks just like all the others we often read about. Pretty much any panasonic Plasma 2011-2012 had issues with these bolts working loose on both sustain boards,

The seller gives suggestions on what you need to do after you get the repaired board back to complete the job properly,

Two options is to reuse those blts and put some loctite or threadlock on the threads or use the correct bolts which were in every Tv before 2011.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-x...-screw-kit.htm

I would go with the new ones simply because if the solder lands compress at least the spring washer will expand but clean up all the scorch marks and check out the SC board too.

Comment

Working...
                                          X