HP PL4260N plasma, sparklies after Y sus replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP PL4260N plasma, sparklies after Y sus replacement

The TV popped and picture went out but had sound. Y sus fs2 fuse was blown. This TV model seems to have a lot of common Y sus problems that cause this so I put in an identical Y sus board from a donor TV. It started up great but I now have sparklies, mostly red, in dark areas of the picture. I set Vs to 180V and Va to 180V on the power supply per the service manual. I set Vzb on Z sus to 100V, Vsc on Y sus to 120V.

-Vy measures -245V but should be -200V. However, it is at the maximum adjustment point so I can't adjust it further. I need help fixing -Vy and eliminating the sparklies.

Also, no visible damage to any boards or components.

Thanks.
    DK
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DakotaKid; 04-23-2013, 08:54 PM.

Re: HP PL4260N plasma, sparklies after Y sus replacement

It may seem strange but due to how those DC-DC boards generate the voltages -245V is too high, not too low. This usually happens when the feedback control is lost -- the potentiometer for adjusting it may be bad. Or, the capacitors can go bad too.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It seems this voltage problem could cause the sparklies and other problems, right? Would it be worth pulling the DC/DC pack off of the old Y sus board and replace the one on the current board with it? That would rule out bad pot. Or, any particular caps I should check?

I have a spare Y buffer and Z sus but thought I'd hold off on those until I get this voltage into spec. I don't know whether they would cause the sparklies anyway. About everything I know about plasmas is what I've learned from you and your writeups but it doesn't seem the buffer board would cause sparklies.

I am presuming the IPM is probably what blew on the old board but other than the blown fuse I haven't done any diagnostics on it as far as looking for shorts or testing the FETs.

The DC/DC packs are in the attached Y sus close up pic. I have labelled the Vsc adjustment pot and the -Vy adj pot and the outline is the -Vy DC pack on the Y sus board.
      Thanks for your help Tom.

DK
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DakotaKid; 04-24-2013, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I have just fix one PL4260N. I have VS 185v , va 60v . They do not match
        with numbers on panel.

Comment

If you can swap the module, I would recommend that. The high voltage can definitely cause sparklies.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by hienton2 View Post
            I have just fix one PL4260N. I have VS 185v , va 60v . They do not match
            with numbers on panel.
            I just realized in my original post that I said 180V for Va whereas I should have said Va=60V and Vs=180V. Thanks for that catch. The panel says Vs=186V and Va=60V, the service manual specs say 180V and 60V.

Tom, I will try to swap the modules, going to be a challenge to remove them. They are similar to removing a tuner, two ground tabs and 8 pins to get unsoldered. It looks like both modules use Vs as input voltage. I see what you are saying about it being too high. I would suspect that Vsc DC pack scales 180V down to 120V and that -Yv DC pack increases it up to 200V and then inverts it? If this is true then maybe the -Yv DC pack is overdriving the voltage to about 255V because the pot only seems to have a range of about +/- 10V.
            Last edited by DakotaKid; 04-24-2013, 09:24 AM.

Comment

The modules contain a transformer; they are fully isolated. This means the -Vy can be negative even though the module may produce a positive voltage. It just ties its positive output to the ground which creates a negative supply rail.

Vsc is used by the buffers to deselect a line. It is superimposed on Vs to create Vs+Vsc, around 300V, during the set_up ramp.

-Vy is used to select a line by the buffer boards. (Each deselected line is at Vsc; selected line is at -Vy.) The lines are selected during addressing to load data onto the plasma panel, before it is sustained. -Vy must be related in some ratio to Va but I don't know how. It's also used to generate the set_dn ramp. The set_dn ramp affects sparklies and maldischarge (like set_up.)

ALWAYS, always use the PANEL sticker for Vs and Va adjustment, and ideally the other voltages. Every plasma panel from LG & Samsung is manufactured to a certain tolerance, which means the voltage settings are different. Interestingly Panasonic use more precise manufacturing meaning only one voltage to adjust usually. I would guess this is due to the labour cost difference (Japan = expensive to have someone tweak five different pots / cheaper to more precisely manufacture panel, Korea/China = cheaper labour.)

Comment

Working...
              X