Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap fix for Sylvania LC370SS8 brief power up then shutdown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap fix for Sylvania LC370SS8 brief power up then shutdown.

Picked up this 37" Sylvania (cheap crap) LC370SS8 today I brought it home and plugged it in. The red LED came on, immediately turned green and flashed a few times at which point the screen came on, showed the words "DIGITAL TELEVISION", and the whole set shut back down. I opened it up and after going over it a bit, I found that the wires for most of the bulbs had apparently arced through the casings. To confirm the fix, I cut up individual pieces of bubble wrap and stuck them between the wires to prevent the arcing. I powered the set up and it worked. I then powered it back down and unplugged it. Looking over the plastic clips for each plug, I realized that I could slip the wires out of the clips, slip some vinyl tubing over each wire and put the clip back on. I have some heat shrink tubing around somewhere but couldn't find it. I cut a length of CAT5 cable, pulled the wires out of the casing, and cut it down to fit. Once I had every wire covered with a new casing, I double checked that the TV still powered on, blew the nasty cigarette smelling dust out of the inside and the back cover, and put it all back together. As Tom66 would say, another one saved. Though I do feel the need to say that this is the second Sylvania I've dealt with in 24 hours and they are the poorest quality things I have ever had the luck to work on. I am not impressed at all.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by johnboy1313; 02-15-2013, 04:35 PM.

Re: Cheap fix for Sylvania LC370SS8 brief power up then shutdown.

edit
    Last edited by johnboy1313; 02-15-2013, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Good Job! even cheaply made LCD TV'S are worth saving if the cost to fix is cheap. I can't seem to find or buy much of anything lately, I'm working on a family members TV now (waiting on parts)

Comment

Check out all the jumpers and the lack of other components on the inverter.

Comment

Clearly jumpers are cheaper than double sided pcb... maybe a few cents cheaper at such volume, but nevertheless, cheaper.

Comment

Yeah, it's a single sided load (SMD on back.) It's more of a volume cost thing. Samsung/Sony/LG/Panasonic etc. could probably get 2-layer PCBs made at a smaller size cheaper than a single sided one but Funai (parent company of Sylvania etc) cannot. Also as most of the boards are assembled in China human labour is cheap. Someone has to insert those jumpers...
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for this post Johnboy.
              I was able to fix my son's Sylvania TV in record time.
              Considered using heat shrink too but I liked your idea and had some CAT5 lying around so CAT5 jacket it was - not a pretty yellow like yours though! :-)
              Thanks again!
              Daryl
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Nice tip. Fixed my LCD. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks johnboy1313 your post fixed my problem with this cheap tv

Comment

Kind of like those good ol' Magnavoxes!

The family business had about eight of those things (the 32" Magnavox version) and all but one lasted 9 years in regular use, running about 50 hours a week or more and still going strong. The panels are getting a little grungy though and there's no way to turn off the mandatory image cutoff, even on HDMi. The VGA inputs are simply awful too.

Comment

Working...
                      X