Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony Bravia KDL-52W5150 - Are These Symptoms Of A Bad T-Con?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-52W5150 - Are These Symptoms Of A Bad T-Con?

Originally posted by budm View Post
    I would check the ESR and value (check them when they heated and cooled) on those caps in circle and also the one next to the SMPS IC. The voltage is only off by 3% which is acceptable.
    I pulled the caps you suggested and tested them both hot and cold. All tested good but I replaced them anyway since they wer already out.

Still having the same problem(s) as described in the above postings.

At this point, would my next step be to simply replace the T-Con (~$60 or so)?

Comment

When you heat that part before plugging in the set, and then plug it in and turn it on (the voltage should be around 12.1 or so at that point), does the TV work then? Cause if its a power supply issue why would you replace the tcon.

But if the problem doesnt go away just because the voltage is raised, then might be tcon.

> After rereading everything said so far, i would try leaving it off all night, then heat the part a good bit, then turn on the tv and if it works right away, then you know its just the power supply at fault.
      If the picture is still kind of bad, it might still be the power supply just an issue more with the shape of the output and not the just the voltage value. I think budm would say to be more wary of / suspect the power supply since it already appears to be malfunctioning if heat causes it to change from out of spec to within spec for the voltage.
      Last edited by cashkennedy; 05-05-2012, 12:42 PM.
      Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

I'm having the exact problem as in the first post. Occasionally (might be as few as every other or third day and as often as every few minutes) the screen will either start up or start going into that bad picture. Its essentially the dark lines rotating horizontally across the screen (includes over menu screens and title/info screens) with a brighter area in the lower left corner. When this condition happens i'm also getting a buzz/ higher pitched noise constantly.

I'm really interested to see what ends up helping the OP or if others have ideas. I have a KDL-52W5100, so its a very similar set too. I'm pretty technically adept but not in the realm of voltage/ electricity so I don't know that I'll be able to peel off the back to run voltages tests without pretty detailed instructions. lol

Next time it happens I'll capture a short video and some pictures.

Comment

Okay I have captured an albeit lower quality video. Sorry about the bouncing around I was switching remotes a few times. And some pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEw9Hg2k1Ys

Pictures -

As you can see its really similar to the OP. Is there any way to find out if it were the t-con board or the DC power?

Comment

I just had a KDL-52XBR4 here and had those horizontal lines yours had, so we replace the the T-CON and did not fix the problem, however it did have a little different picture than yours, also yours is not an XBR. I would try T-CON first because its the cheaper of the two.

Comment

I'm finding that it happens a lot when the TV has been off for a while when it first starts up. It seems like once it has been on for a while, usually after a few restarts, then it seems to go without issue.

Ex. Turn it on, problem starts within the first minute or two
              Restart and a few minutes later it will happen again, restart
              5 or 10 minutes later it might happen again, restart
              then it might run for hours and not happen again till after the TV is off and idle for an extended period of time.

Comment

Using a can of freeze spray, I thought I could isolate the problem board or component. I slowly sprayed a board and waited a few minutes to see if the results would appear, then moved to the next board. Nothing. Than 30 minutes later, something new showed up on the screen. Picture is now washed out with 4 vertical grey stripes on the left side:

And if I disconnect the T-Con ribbon cable that feeds the right side of the TV so that there is only a feed to the left side:

And if I disconnect the T-Con ribbon cable that feeds the left side of the TV so that there is only a feed to the right side:

Looks like I can remove signal from the right side of the screen by disconecting the T-Con ribbon cable but if I remove the left side ribbon, it still shows the same picture no matter what.

Based on the above results, did I permanently kill the T-Con (or Main Board) with my freeze spray?

Any thoughts, advice or further troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated.
                Last edited by NoEcm; 05-25-2012, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Did you restart the TV?

Comment

Yes, TV has been power cycled several times with the same results.

So I'm thinking either the T-CON for left side is bad or the left side LCD Panel is bad.

Thoughts?

Comment

Hi. I was at a thrift store and saw a TV on the shelf, stamped "AS IS, U FIX IT, NO RETURNS," and I figured I'd take a look, trying to turn it on right there in the store. It refused to power on at all, so I figured it was likely something simple, and I bought it. At home, I don't remember what I did, but I got it to power on. I speculated it was some kind of NVRAM corruption at play. I got sound but no picture, with the screen looking exactly like the first photo in this thread. After extensive searching on the web, I found this thread and decided to take a gamble: I ordered a replacement T-con on eBay. With the T-con replaced, the screen immediately came to life! However, the voltages I see being fed from the power supply worry me: 23.9V on the 24V rails, 5.13V on the 5V rails, and 11.86V on the 12V rails. I do not know where on this power supply I may find the regulator for the heat test in this thread. I do not want the second T-con to die from possible under-voltage, especially considering the initial power issue. The TV is an Ölevia 427-S12. Advice? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to mention: There are a total of ten electrolytics on the power supply, a Delta DPS-161AP-E, and none with any visible decay.
                      Last edited by danielg4; 07-08-2012, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by danielg4 View Post
                        However, the voltages I see being fed from the power supply worry me: 23.9V on the 24V rails, 5.13V on the 5V rails, and 11.86V on the 12V rails.
                        The above voltages are fine. In most TVs, none of them are regulated with any sort of accuracy/precision on the power supply. Voltage regulators on the main board are more likely to be +/- 1% of their stated value.
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                          The above voltages are fine. In most TVs, none of them are regulated with any sort of accuracy/precision on the power supply. Voltage regulators on the main board are more likely to be +/- 1% of their stated value.
                          OK. What worried me about that was the mention in this thread that lower temperatures could lead to noticeable voltage differences. Is none of that significant either?

Comment

Originally posted by danielg4 View Post
                            What worried me about that was the mention in this thread that lower temperatures could lead to noticeable voltage differences.
                            Lower operating temperatures should results in increased reliability of the t-con. In all these super thin TVs, there are no cooling fans so heat rises. The t-con is at the top and gets the brunt of the heat.

There are voltage regulators or DC/DC converters on the t-con. Both will regulate the output voltage to +/- 1%. They can take in a wide range of input voltages (high and low).
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                              Lower operating temperatures should results in increased reliability of the t-con. In all these super thin TVs, there are no cooling fans so heat rises. The t-con is at the top and gets the brunt of the heat.

There are voltage regulators or DC/DC converters on the t-con. Both will regulate the output voltage to +/- 1%. They can take in a wide range of input voltages (high and low).
                              But what about the temperature-triggered voltage regulator weirdness in the power supply described earlier in the thread?

Comment

Any update on this? My tv is having the same issue (kdl-52w5100)

Comment

My TV's issue has morphed now. It now on a cold startup has a tunnel / ring hazing effect. In the center of the screen the refresh rate seems normal and motion doesn't blur the image, however around sides and edges of the screen it has a dark blur and images update very slowly. If I turn if off and on it initially corrects nothing, the same behavior is exhibited when it turns back on. However, after the TV has been running in this blurry tunnel state for a good half hour turning off and on the TV corrects the issue and it operates normally from that point forward so long as I don't power it down for any period of time.

I imagine that the effect would be pretty trippin if I were high, but for now it essentially has turned an otherwise great TV into something so annoying because we must wait about 30 minutes of it running before it starts actually working correctly.

I have not replaced any parts as I can't really get a clear confirmation of if anything will help the issue based on others that may have experienced this same issue. If I get a chance i'll try to upload pics of the tunnel blur vision condition it now exhibits.

Comment

These are about the exact same symptoms my tv is having. Flexing the tv does nothing, and I really don't believe it's a TAB problem and I'm still leaning towards a voltage problem, but I'm moving really soon and don't have time to look at it.

Comment

Problem ended up being a bad tab... look up youtube videos on repairing. Was the top left one.

Comment

Yes, top left tab.
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...20KDL-52VL150/
                                        Never stop learning
                                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                          you fix yours too? bought for $85, sold for $400 $$$

Comment

Working...
                                          X