Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antenna...

All,
    I recently moved to a very rural area. I am about 25 miles from the nearest urban settings (2 separate College Towns). 45-50 miles from a Urban City (Toledo Ohio)

There was a Omni-directional Wineguard Antenna (amplified) that was mounted on the house originally. Came with the house. Center of the top of Roof a few feet from Chimney on a 4 foot pole. The 75 ohm line went from the roof down 2-3 stories to the small Wineguard amplifier and then it split to the living room and master bedroom. Currently a Very simple setup.

Since we moved in, 8 years ago, we mostly used our streaming by Way of Microwave Wi-Fi internet. Probably used the antenna 3 times. My only internet possibility other than satellite.

There are a couple Public Broadcasting channels (27 & 30) I get in with inexpensive indoor antennas after the Wineguard actually blew off the house a few years ago.

I miss my FM/AM Radio when I was in the urban setting so that should be factored in somewhere but I never had that since we moved out here.

The Antenna itself I plan to reuse on another project as it appears still functional but the bracket system is shot. I am going to use it only in my Barn and mount it in the roof rafter line for Barn use only. So not part of this project.

With that said, the omni-directional really never fit the house (looks-wise) anyways. In my previous house in the suburbs I had a 40ft tower and a Wineguard 8200U that was rotational. It had a 24 Radio Shack Amplifier that fed throughout the 2000 sqft home. This setup was because I was pretty much in the center of the Urban area. I did not use the rotation much but I got a majority of the stations in the area and worked well through out the house.

Where I live now its very-very open. 3 trees in a 4 mile square area. Two are in my front yard facing West. One in my back North East Corner. All Below my (2 story) Peak of my roof by < 10ft. The other is at my neighbors 2+ miles up the road to the North. As I mentioned much simpler layout but the house is close to almost double in size.

It gets extremely windy as its open as one would expect. We refer to the windy season as October to June. The wind is controlled by crops (Corn, Soybeans, and Wheat) planting\harvesting. 50+ MPH Winds are not unusual in any season but the winds are constant. We also get Snow/ice etc in the winter months.

So I would like to get a antenna that I could mount inside my attic. This would avoid the wind/weather and avoid some of the mounting limitations. Also it would be above my tree line and above anything for 10s of miles.

I believe I could work out a rotational setup in the attic, if needed, as the roof peak is about 7ft from attic floor but that is where my questions start coming into play. The attic is large and is storage at best (no sub-floor yet just rafters).

I have included in this posting the DTV Receptions map based on my address. Most seem to be greater than the mid 50s DBU. Most are in the 60s DBU. Honestly I have cities that are 50 (Lima),75(2 - Fort Wayne, Sandusky),90(Columbus), 100 (Detroit) miles away that are all major urban centers. So these images are probably not a clear representation of all the possibilities.

First question my roof is a Tin Roof. Original I am told to the house from when it was built in 1900. Its thick compared to modern metal roofs. Will this cause any issues when I choose my Antenna?

So What kind of Antenna should I look at for this project?

Mileage? Omni-Directional? Directional? Amplified?

Suggestions?

Thanks
    Chris
    Attached Files

Re: Antenna...

I feel your pain brother. I recently moved from Cleveland to Vermilion, Oh and the reception from Cleveland is weak on most channels. Have tried 4 different outside antennas in the past year and I'm still not satisfied. Last week I took a chance and bought a Clearstream Max2 antenna. ($50 open box on Ebay). Its omni directional, non amplified, indoor or outdoor and had more gain than the other 4. It picked up all major channels out of Cleveland, Toledo and Detroit. I'll live with this one. You can always send back if it dont work out. Also check out Antenna man on youtube. This dude can explain everything about antennas. Good luck

Comment

I think you need to get the antennas up pretty high for decent reception, to hope for the best possible line of sight, but it would have to be well grounded so a lightning strike wouldn't go straight thru your video equipment. I wish I would have left my 40 ft. antenna tower up, being only about 7 miles from the broadcasting site, I still get regular disruption as in ok for a bit then pixelation or no signal, move the damn thing around works here at the window well no it don't, work's on this wall, a minute later no it don't, that shit will drive you nutz, picked up a 30 dollar Antop that is a lot better but still gets pixelation but much less than the small flimsy ones, tho it's prolly not meant for much distance. That Max 2 sounds interesting, I wonder if being located right by the water in Vermilion, might let you get better reception than if you weren't, been a while but I thought I saw somewhere that the signals travel much further over water, probably because there's nothing in the way.
      Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-06-2023, 12:54 PM.

Comment

The reviews are a bit mixed, 2 there from amazon one bad one good: L.dubuc
        1.0 out of 5 stars No range - too expensive for what you get!
        Reviewed in Canada on September 5, 2020
        Style: 35+ Miles/55+ KM + IndoorVerified Purchase
        Very disappointed in this product, we were only able to capture 2 channels! $80.00 Pretty expensive for 2 local channels! We ended up making our own from a YouTube video and was able to capture 5 channels which cost a total of $3.00!
        Customer image
        Amazon Customer
        5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
        Reviewed in Canada on June 24, 2018
        Style: 60 MileVerified Purchase
        Love this Antenna! It was a bit pricey but it definitely works!
        See more reviews

Comment

All,
          I have been happy with all my Wineguards over the years. Have had 3 total. We had a Channel Master and it came apart when it was up the tower about 3 years in.

Its kind of funny as I actually have a fairly unused Wineguard model of the exact same unit that was mounted to this house originally. I used it for our seasonal camping site for the camper we have, and actually this spring will be selling, as we purchased a used (in the family) Class C Camper. It will not need this antenna as it has a very decent antenna on it.

So One pole barn was going to get the house old unit. The garage was going to get the other camper unit.

I am thinking I am going to see how these unit do mounted in the garage attic and pole barn inside peaks. Then probably go from there. I have thought about buying another Wineguard 8200 model. I have always bought my antennas from Solid Signal as they are fairly close (Detroit). My worry is its a big antenna and I am not sure on the metal roof scenario. If I need to point it /rotate it I may have to move the antenna area to the other side (North) of the attic.

I am probably a good 25-27 feet up. So I believe height should not be a issue as I have few neighbors and few buildings to contend with for 10s of miles. Houses out here are 1-2 miles at least apart at a minimum. There is a 500 acres (sect) across from me and roughly the same behind... to give you an idea.

I will of course use the 75ohm ground protection inline as I have on all my previous setups. Both Pole Barns and the main house roof is also ground protected (all four corner line setups). So Ground source should be easy enough.

Thanks for the help and Suggestions.
          Chris

Comment

Guess it's not ideal: Will a metal roof interfere with TV antenna in attic?
            A metal roof will work against the antenna reflecting the signal. IF the antenna is inside the house, near a window; it should not be a problem.

Comment

Working...
            X