COOLER MASTER Elite 460 Watt RS-460-PSAR-J3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COOLER MASTER Elite 460 Watt RS-460-PSAR-J3

Ok. While waiting on my Antec EA-430 to RMA, I bought this COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W power supply on newegg for $29.99 with free shipping.
    It only has a year warranty so I was wondering if it is made with ok quality parts.
    And is there anything I can do (recap it, put in better power mosfets?) to make this one last a little longer.
    Also, my Antec had a three year warranty, but died after only a year.

Re: COOLER MASTER Elite 460 Watt RS-460-PSAR-J3

I think kc8adu posted a internal shot of this, it is either a AcBel or Hipro built unit. From what I recall from the pictures, it looked pretty decent. If it's not quite a 460W psu inside, knowing both AcBel and Hipro it will shut itself off at it's OPP trip point and still be in spec all the way through.

Comment

You seem like you know your stuff.
      Anyway, I was browsing the "Power supply build quality pictorial DISCUSSION" page trying to find pics of that coolermaster 460 i recently posted and saw that "Delta DPS-700FB-1 A" you posted.
      I was just wondering if that would be a good PSU for my setup.

Phenom II x2 550 CPU
      Evga 113-M2-E113 motherboard
      4 gigs Mushkin DDR2 1066(2x 2gig sticks)
      XFX GTS 250 w/1 gig of memory graphics card
      Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB hard drive
      DVD-RW drive
      DVD-ROM drive
      one 140mm fan on top of case
      and five 120mm fans (one on cpu heatsink, two on front of case, one on back of case, and on on side of case.)

I'm just curious as to what direction I should go in for a good reliable psu
      Last edited by TheRagnarok; 03-19-2010, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I believe the delta could do that. While I was waiting on a RMA for my 900w I ran my system on a 700w.
        Click for specs..
        370 is selling that Delta, too, in case you didnt notice. Just make sure you board uses the 8pin cpu power connector since it appears it does not have a 4-pin connector.

Comment

re: Delta DPS-700 8 pin connector -

You can use a razor saw on that connector and slice it in half. Or, if your board has room to the side of the connector, you can half-plug it in. There are also open holes in the board to solder in another harness with the correct connector, if you choose.
          veritas odium parit

Comment

I does have an 8 pin connector.
            Here's a pic of the board.

Comment

Another option would be to get an 8 to 4 pin adapter, like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/EPS12V-8-Pin-12V...item2304de6202
              All you do is plug one end into the motherboard, and the other into the 8-pin cable, just like with the 4 to 8 pin adapters, but this converts it the other way. This way you won't have to worry about permanently altering any of your hardware

edit: guess you won't be needing this then! Nice looking board though - check out that northbridge/southbridge/everything else heatsink!
              Last edited by etnietering; 03-20-2010, 01:12 AM.

Comment

mmm - nice.
                why do they still put a damned floppy port on it though?
                it could be more usefull to put a second ide port there.
                i bet the chipset supports it - just no tracks or socket.

Comment

a decent power supply from Acbel , and here in my country it does lifetime warranty !

i does have one that replace my old junker ..
                  good enough to powering :
                  Athlon64 3500+
                  Abit AN-M2
                  2x512mb DDR2
                  Palit GTS250 Sonic
                  2HDD + 1 ODD
                  2x80mm fans

Comment

Originally posted by TheRagnarok
                    I does have an 8 pin connector.
                    Here's a pic of the board.

I actually got my DPS-700 FB from my friend who ran it on the exact same board. It wouldn't boot up his board. Ran mine fine except for the intermittent blank screen problem.

I don't know if it is a defect in the power supply, or just that the power supply and that motherboard don't agree. Either way I wouldn't want to give you a big headache.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                      I actually got my DPS-700 FB from my friend who ran it on the exact same board. It wouldn't boot up his board. Ran mine fine except for the intermittent blank screen problem.

I don't know if it is a defect in the power supply, or just that the power supply and that motherboard don't agree. Either way I wouldn't want to give you a big headache.
                      I placed a bid on Ebay last night for this PSU. If it doesn't work for me I'll try it on my Brother's EVGA 750i SLI FTW, as he's using an Ultra XConnect Model No: X-ULT500P 500W psu.

Comment

Post back if it works on your board. Ive run across this type of curiosity before as well. Though not with the same board or power supply.

Comment

Just got my COOLER MASTER Elite 460, but HW Monitor detects my +12v as 9.77v. But in my bios it detects the rail as 12.13v.
                          The Delta DPS-700 will be here tomorrow, and we'll know if it will work on either my rig or my brothers.

Comment

what does a multimeter say?
                            that's the only thing you can trust.

Comment

Trust the BIOS. I have CPUID Hardware monitor open but only VCORE, VRAM, VBAT, and oddly, +5 appear correct. The others are not scaled correctly. Though, +12 appears to have something to do with VCORE. It says 16V right now, but if I stop P95 it drops to around 4V.

Comment

You can almost never trust the bios because of all the different systems on the motherboard that can cause noise. Most motherboards take readings after filtering the power too, so voltages may be different.

Comment

Just got the DPS-700 FB......and IT WORKS!!! . The bios reports the +12v as 11.98v, and HW Monitor still detects my +12v as 9.77v
                                  I'm putting the Cooler Master Elite 460 into my brothers pc now.
                                  And I don't have a multimeter.

Comment

Glad it worked for you! That power supply is so well built it's not funny. Expect years and years of use out of it.

Thanks for saying it works too, now I know it might be something wrong with mine.

Comment

Working...
                                    X