Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which of these psus is the safest?

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
    I replaced the 10A rectifier with ESAD83-004 that I got from an enlight 250W psu. It worked!

However the rectifiers seem to be a bit too close now.. I don't know if this could be a problem.

Ready to order replacement caps now

edit: photo attached
    Help me please....

I recapped this psu, added Metal Oxide Varistors, a coil at 12V output and a plastic cover among the board and the metal case (it didn't have one).

I changed capacitance in the following:
    560uF input HEC caps with 680uF Jun Fu.
    5Vsb output: 2x470uF --> 2x1000uF Rubycon YXF
    5V output: 2x2200uF --> 2x2700uF Panasonic FK
    3,3V: 2x2200uF --> 2x2700uF Panasonic FK
    and 12V: 1x1000uF --> 1x3300uF Panasonic FM

The psu was tested without any load and all voltages were ok, but when I tried it at a pentium 4 1,5GHZ pc, 40 seconds after I pushed the power button and just when windows welcome screen showed it shut off. I pushed it again and again but I could only hear a noise from the psu like starting and stopping immediately.

Examining the psu with a multimeter and my esr micro 4 meter I found that the 12V output appears completely shorted. Is it the schottky rectifier that has failed? And why?

I replaced the original BYQ28E ultra fast rectifier with ESAD83-004

I uploaded some photos I took of the psu right before I tested it and had if fail
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 06-08-2010, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Is that thermal pad that the 12v rectifier uses a metallic material, perhaps conductive?

I would take the secondary heatsink out and test the rectifiers for shorts.

Comment

Ok, I took out the 3300uF 16V Panny FM, tested it with esr micro and found it ok.

I did the same with the resistor and it is not shorted either.

Next, I took out the ESAD83-004 and tested it with my multimeter, diode mode. Results: Completely shorted

Does this mean that this psu needs ultrafast type rectifier at 12V?

edit: The thermal pad is not conductive, it came with ESAD83-004 from an old psu.

Comment

Typically if an ultrafast is needed, it will refuse to turn on at all, acting like there is a short. Though that may be the case, who knows.

May have just randomly failed because of age or previous use. Personally I would add another schottky and see if it shorts again, but I have a ton laying around so I don't know.
          Last edited by 370forlife; 06-09-2010, 12:14 PM.

Comment

in most of PSU, 12V rectifier need 60V or more of peak Repetitive Reverse Voltage (VRRM), try to replace with S30D60C (30A/60V Schottky) or F30D20C (30A/200V Fast Recovery)
            | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
            | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
            | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

also better to change both primary switching transistor to 12A part (TO-247/TO-3P), such as 2SC3320 or MJE13009L.

and 150K resister located between JunFu 680uF had broken.
              | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
              | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |

Comment

The primary transistors are 2x E13009.

The resistor has just burnt glue on it as far as I can see.

I found BYW51-200 from a dead power supply (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...64#post108564). Is it suitable for 12V of that psu?

Comment

20A, 200V fast recovery should be enough for mundane tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                    The primary transistors are 2x E13009.

The resistor has just burnt glue on it as far as I can see.

I found BYW51-200 from a dead power supply (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...64#post108564). Is it suitable for 12V of that psu?
                    Sorry,if they're E13009, they should be fine.
                    if you can get bigger package like TP-247/TO-3P (E13009L), they've more Collector Power Dissipation (run cooler/more reliable).

Originally posted by 370forlife
                    20A, 200V fast recovery should be enough for mundane tasks.
                    I agreed.

Comment

The shorted 30A schottky was successfully replaced with the 20A fast recovery rectifier BYW51-200.

Now the power supply works and powers the Pentium 4 PC without any problem.

Thank you 370forlife and POM_MJ

Comment

I made changes at Premier DR psu of page 1:

-I added a 4A bridge rectifier instead of the 4 diode treatment.

-I added a second coil to complete the input filtering.

-I added two movs

-The 2 input caps were yc 330uF 200V but their real capacitance was 220uF! I was very lucky that this psu worked in my pentium D computer... I replaced them with HEC 560uF 200V (real capacitance 485uF)

-I fully recapped that psu. I used high quality caps I had in stock from previous projects, some Teapos that I took out from old 250W psus and a Nichicon HD from a dead intel mobo.

2x Teapo 2200uF 6.3V @ +5V
                        2x Teapo 2200uF 6.3V @ +3.3V
                        2x Teapo 1000uF 16V @ 5vsb
                        1x Panasonic FK 2200uF 16V and 1x Nichicon HD 1000uF 16V @ 12V

I did not want to spend any money for a psu like this. It still has a tiny transformer (no way it can output 400W) and 2x 13007 primary transistors

What do you think?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, no edit available...

I forgot to mention I replaced sbl1660ct, used for the 3.3V, with 30GWJ2C

The psu has SBL3045PT for the 5V output and s20c60 for 12V. I found them adequate, given the wattage capability of that psu.

Comment

13007's are good for about 300W. The rest should be fine for ~300W. I had the same psu as that one that but it had 2 470uf YC input caps as well as 2 20A, 40v schottky's on the 5v, 1 30A, 45V on the 12v and a 20A, 40v on the 3.3v. It ran a computer that had a socket 754 athlon 3200+ running at 2.4ghz and a nvidia 8600gt. That was before I ever rebuilt it and before I knew about psu built quality. Ran that computer just fine somehow, probably because the fan it had ran at 100% all the time and really blasted some (hot) air out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by POM_MJ
                              CS caps is bad.
                              I agree. I encountered 2 CoolMax PSUs in a row with bulged and leaking CS caps when at the computer recycling place, WinCycle in Windsor, Vermont.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Hi again.

Recently I got another Jou Jye 460Watt psu for free and I am planning to fully recap it, using exclusively caps I have in stock.

This is the recap list:

2x4.7uF 50V Capxon --> 2x4.7uF 50V Rubycon YXF
                                2x47uF 50V JunFu --> 2x47uF 50V Rubycon YXF
                                5vsb:
                                1x1000uF 10V JunFu --> 1x1000uF 16V Rubycon YXF
                                1x1000uF 16V Capxon - bulging --> 1x1000uF 16V Rubycon YXF
                                3.3V:
                                2x3300uF 10V JunFu --> 2x3300uF 6.3V Panasonic FK
                                5V:
                                2x3300uF 10V JunFu --> 2x3300uF 6.3V Panasonic FK
                                12V:
                                2x3300uF 16V JunFu --> 2X3300uF 16V Panasonic FM
                                -12V:
                                1x1000uF 16V JunFu --> 1x1000uF 16V Rubycon YXF

There are also 1x1uF 50V JunFu and 1x0.47uF 50V JunFu that I used to replace with 2x1uF 50V Rubycon YXF.

The problem is I have only 1 1uF Rubycon cap in stock , but I have 2.2uF 50V Rubycon YXF and 1uF 50V Panasonic SU Bipolar +85°C.

So the question is, what is the best thing to do?
                                a)Use 2.2uF Rubycon YXF to replace 1uF JunFu and 1uF Rubycon YXF to replace the 0.47uF JunFu.
                                b)Use 1uF Panasonic Bipolar +85°C to replace the 0.47uF JunFu (and 1uF Rubycon YXF to replace 1uF JunFu).
                                c)None of the above caps is suitable as a replacement. Just replace the 1uF JunFu with 1uF Rubycon YXF and leave the 0.47uF JunFu unchanged.
                                d)Other (What?)

Comment

I would just change the .1's with the .1's that you have, just leave the .47's until you get more .47's. The small caps like those hardly fail.

Comment

I'd go with C) as well. Those 0.47uF caps don't sound too important anyways.

Comment

Thanx! I followed your advice and left the 0.47uF cap unchanged.

I don't think I am going to open that psu again just to replace that cap
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Where are you order those Panasonic FK 2200uF/16V, are their size 10x30mm.? how cost of each?

I can't find in my country, their cost at Farnell supplier too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by POM_MJ
                                          Where are you order those Panasonic FK 2200uF/16V, are their size 10x30mm.? how cost of each?

I can't find in my country, their cost at Farnell supplier too expensive.
                                          I order them from here:
                                          http://gr.rsdelivers.com/product/pan...v/0571606.aspx

They are expensive (1.33 euros each!) and you can order only in quantities multiple of 5.

Other FK caps that I order:
                                          http://gr.rsdelivers.com/product/pan...v/0571284.aspx
                                          http://gr.rsdelivers.com/product/pan...v/0571054.aspx

All of them are 10x30mm

Comment

Working...
                                          X