This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Well I guess I'll post a few pictures of two power supplys: First one is a pc power and cooling, the pics show the insides, the next is a project psu, where on the last photo I show the bad caps that I'm currently replacing. I think the pc power and cooling is a very solid power supply but the lite-on power supply kinda looks cheap to me. I'll need to open up my Hec xpower 600 and see what it looks like inside.
    Attached Files

Comment

Not really a power supply pictorial in the most common understanding but I couldn't think of a better place for this..

Moving some of the stuff to boxes, organizing everything here... stumbled on this Canyon CN-BR1 4 port internet router + usb print server

It was relatively cheap when I got it, about 25-40$ - not the cheapest brand that was in the store but not a brand name either. I remember I stopped using it because it chocked when using a lot of torrent connections.

So what caught my eye today was the 9V AC input - I said... Oh god, I guess I should search for the adapter through all the adapters around the wall socket, don't want to accidentally plug it into my scanner or some other device I have around.

So opening it up to see if maybe it was capacitors responsible for choking... it doesn't seem like it.

32bit ARM7 with (up to) 64 MB sdram for the print server and switch management

Au Lee /Fu Lee / Tu Lee capacitors everywhere, they look ok, all 470uF 16v/25v and 47uF ..

I wonder why 9v AC though? Did they do other switches or devices and had a large contract for 9v ac adapters? Who knows...
      I know some older designs did this on purpose to get split power supply cheaply or to get dc-dc -5v for gbic/serial/whatever but I don't see any particular need for AC here, it's rectified right away:

Anyway, here's something i smiled at... the classic LM 78L05 .. the 5 cents a piece 5v @ 100mA regulator for the USB port. I guess it was probably enough for most printers out there.

And for the whole switch power... another classic, the 20 cent MC34063, a switching regulator.

Curious why the pnp transistor is used there, the datasheet for MC34063 uses one only in voltage inverter mode..
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mariushm; 09-10-2012, 09:09 PM. Reason: minor corrections..

Comment

Try the caps anyway, small ones usually do not bulg and so. Trodas used to write an article bout his router which was freezing and everything, he claimes after recap it was OK and according to his ISP he should reportedly even have lower packet loss and stuff.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

I checked some of them.. in circuit so I know it's not very accurate... worst ESR I spotted was 0.3-0.4 for the one by the switching regulator.

The cap by the bridge rectifier was also only 390uF or so (it's 470/25) but like I said, it's in-circuit... not sure if the diodes would have effect on measurement.

Comment

It may be the capacitors, but some cheap things just plain can't handle bittorrent.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

t&p PL350 (K-Mex)

This came out of an Athlon X2 3800+, 2xddr1, gforce 7300, ide-hdd, DVD-Rom..

-No input filtering (only y caps)

-4 rectifying diodes, 2 of them smaller than the others

-2x470uF primary caps

-2x13007 switching transistors

-El33 Transformer

-PCB discoloration near 5vsb transformer

-5vsb capacitor bulging

-F12C200 @ 12V output. This is ridiculous

-cep7030l @ 3.3V

5vsb is 4V or lower. When shorting green wire to ground nothing happens. Not worth repairing. Maybe it could claim a place in the gutless psu thread.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                5vsb is 4V or lower.
                Bulged cap will cause this along with the discoloration around the 5VSB. Try putting a junk cap in there that isn't bulged and I bet it will come up back to 5V stable.

All in all, though - yes, it doesn't look like it's worth repairing.

Comment

T&P, is that some new L&C brand?
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Here is another Xilence power supply, Model XP480 rated at 480 watts. This one has active pfc circuit. Some Xilence power supplies were shown earlier but did not have active pfc and were half bridge. This one does not appear to be half bridge.

Transformers are marked with YC number perhaps identifying OEM. This doesn't look to me like something Leadman L&C would make, but I could be wrong. So what do you think?
                    Attached Files
                    Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                      Here is another Xilence power supply, Model XP480 rated at 480 watts. This one has active pfc circuit. Some Xilence power supplies were shown earlier but did not have active pfc and were half bridge. This one does not appear to be half bridge.

Transformers are marked with YC number perhaps identifying OEM. This doesn't look to me like something Leadman L&C would make, but I could be wrong. So what do you think?
                      The layout reminds me of a Sirtec, maybe FSP. The markings don't really match up to either, either do the cap choices. My guess is a Chinese copy of a Sirtec design. Maybe Long-Yi.

Comment

I would say ~400W peak watts.

Not so bad. These power supplies are sold at a really affordable price here in Greece.

edit: Topower?
                        Last edited by goodpsusearch; 09-22-2012, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Q-Tech Q-450 (Codegen)

-No PFC inside

-No input filtering. The primary side of the power supply never felt so empty

-4 tiny diodes in place of a bridge rectifier

-5vsb NPN transistor: 2N60

-2xD13007 switching transistors

-SG6105DZ control IC

-EL33 transformer

-3.3V: HBR2045

-5V: HBR2045

-12V: 2x F12C20C wow impressive

So, what do you think?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken 2N60 is a MOSFET.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                              So, what do you think?

Last photo seems like in jail

Comment

Looks typical of a cheap explodegen.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Is that made by Leadman? Looks absolutely terrible. 450W? HA

Comment

^
                                    No, it's made by Codegen.
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                                      Unless I'm mistaken 2N60 is a MOSFET.
                                      Sorry, I was looking at this:
                                      http://search.datasheetcatalog.net/key/2N60

Comment

The 2N60 is a 2 amp 600 volt MOSFET.
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I like how it says PFC on the label too

Comment

Working...
                                          X