X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OCZ 700 Watt Bug Zapper Recap & Repair

yes, it's critical in that application.
    you need equal or higher ripple.

go look at something like panasonic ED or EE series.

and if you have the height, consider 390uf
    Last edited by stj; 11-03-2015, 03:50 PM.

Comment

ok thanks, going to check that

Comment

Originally posted by manthi View Post
        add $8 shipping and you start crying,
        but everything is relative
        this morning i went to a local electronic store to see if they had anything that would fit, but i came back empty handed,
        but got a $168 ticket +3 points for failing to do a complete stop.
        so in the end that $15 with digikey is a bargain versus driving to my local store

ok back to topic, original cap has 1.9 ripple and the one i listed has 1.44 does it matter?
        I can get it much cheaper. But its always the same…you dont need it so foten after all, you need it fast, you whatever. So I invest at least 500 bucks in that, than sell 10 pcs here and keep the rest on stock for 5+ years till I sell it out finally…nah, not really. You want, than buy it overpriced.

What series is that teapo crap? I can find no 330/400 with 1.9 A RC.
        Last edited by Behemot; 11-03-2015, 04:18 PM.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post

What series is that teapo crap? I can find no 330/400 with 1.9 A RC.
          LH
          also can someone explain me why it's ok to go with a 390 uf instead of 330, i always read that you should stick with same capacitance when replacing a capacitor
          Attached Files

Comment

Oh I see, noticed just the 1.75A version.

You can go with 390 just fine, you'll get less stress on PFC silicon and longer hold-up time. But the cheapest seems to be https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...965-ND/3986864, for 390 https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...1663-ND/483261
            Last edited by Behemot; 11-03-2015, 05:04 PM.
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

ok thanks, went for https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...1663-ND/483261
              Last edited by manthi; 11-03-2015, 10:10 PM.

Comment

ok some update,
                i replace the defective 330uf 400v capacitor (funny when i shake it i can hear moving part inside) by the one i bought (390uf 400v from panasonic) but still no power.
                so after some more reading (link given by sgtrock+ one of his post on eevblog) i found out that a TNY278P (IC501) switching regulator could have gone bad, and indeed after close inspection, i realise it has a blown leg,
                so i got to change this also.
                i also checked the q601\602 mosfet but they are ok
                Last edited by manthi; 11-09-2015, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Good work Manthi. Get er done.
                  Cheers!

Comment

i have *never* had or heard of a capacitor that has anything moving in it.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      Are you sure?

http://320volt.com/en/cakma-kondansator/
                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                      Originally posted by shango066
                      All style and no substance.
                      Originally posted by smashstuff30
                      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

lol
                        that's better than the original, it's got rubycon in it.

Comment

Dear Kaboom"
                          --The British used to say that if you locked a bunch of Hong Kong merchants in a cave for twenty years, when you opened it they would have all gotten wealthy by selling rocks to each other.
                          "Does not squirell crack nuts on bough of tree."
                          La Fu (ancestor of Wun H. Lo and his brother Tu H. Lo) 1610 -1780
                          Last edited by SgtRock; 11-09-2015, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Please dissect the capacitor and post some pics of it's innards.
                            I guess a capacitor that has dried up completely inside could rattle around a bit.
                            Still it should be a minimal difference vs a cap filled with electrolyte...
                            Never seen or heard of something like this before so I'm curious
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I have seen (or rather heard) this quite often with lead-acid batteries. Guess that snap-in caps with big cans can to it too, there is often some room inside between the roll and the top part of the can. If you remember that opened cap from the welder I posted here and it measured fine, the roll inside was moving if you shaked it enough
                              Last edited by Behemot; 11-10-2015, 11:54 AM.

Comment

i have a lelon 4700@50 i replaced in a rockford fosgate boom car amp.
                                if it hasnt hit the dumpster yet i will dissect it.sounds like a marble rolling around inside.its mate on the - supply is normal.replaced anyway of course.
                                Originally posted by stj View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                  Please dissect the capacitor and post some pics of it's innards.
                                  ok will try to do it this week, any special precaution to take before doing this, i never opened a capacitor, what is the proper procedure?

Comment

Cut the sleeve, than usually cut the aluminium can by the the rubber sealing (or you may try to pry it out using small screwdriver). Remove the rubber and than the foil roll should go out. Or cut the can more to remove it.

Just be carefull to not cut yourself.

Comment

use sidecutters to peel the edge of the can away from the rubber bung.

it may hiss when you first cut into it if pressure has built up.

Comment

here it is
                                        i think it was the paper roll that was moving inside
                                        Attached Files

Comment

oups!!
                                          received my TNY278P (IC501) switching regulator this morning, so i installed it,
                                          but as soon as i turned the power on, i heard a bang and saw some sparks inside the psu, the same part (ic501) had blown again, so i have to find what cause this

Comment

Working...
                                          X