old school enhance 300w bad rubycons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old school enhance 300w bad rubycons

yes you heard right!and a series i dont recall seeing.
    +5stby low and would not start.both rubys were about 40 ohms esr!
    the jamicons on the output were done too but not blown/leaking.
    unit came with a cheap case in 2002.now its back in its case and in use in a mamebox.the owner wanted to keep the system all original as it was his first real computer that he paid for as a teen.the board is coming for a preemptive strike when he goes on vacation.
    Attached Files

Re: old school enhance 300w bad rubycons

Interesting. I wonder what killed them. I take it those were NOS Chemi-con KZEs you used on the outputs.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

That MH looks like it's 7mm tall. To my knowledge, 7mm tall capacitors don't have anywhere near good enough ripple or ESR ratings for SMPS use except for the lightest of tasks (decoupling, coupling, bypassing, timing, etc)... not surprised it failed on +5VSB. Not surprised the Jamicons on the output failed either. The Jamicons usually seen in PSUs are general purpose. KZE was a good choice.

Comment

Looks like a strange one, could that be a real rubycon, or a fake?!
        I don't recall rubycon putting the series code by the date and temp markings!
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

nos kze on +3.3 +5
          fm on +12
          1200@16 zl on +5stby.
          doubt it will fail again unless it gets hit by lightning.

Comment

Did anyone seem to have recapped this PSU before? First thing that popped up when I searched for Rubycon MH was an eBay link to fake Rubycon MH caps. Perhaps the PSU had Jamicon originally, and then someone recapped it with these fake craps?
            Then again, the bung of the cap in the picture you attached doesn't look like the cheap stuff on fake caps.
            Last edited by momaka; 11-23-2013, 10:11 PM.

Comment

capacitor is not original

Comment

Working...
              X