Need good PSU with Intel Aux 6Pin Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need good PSU with Intel Aux 6Pin Power

As some may have read in other threads, I have an 8IHXP i850e RAMBUS board.
    i850 boards require the "Intel Auxilliary" 6-pin power connector, as seen here...

This connector is no longer provided on (just about) any new PSU's. (Are all the new ones (new standard) called EPS?)

I'm currently using a Zalman400B (4xHDD and LOTS of other stuff), but since sticking in a 6600GT I have hit the power limit of the Zalman PSU.

For me this is a problem. I have looked high and low for a good name PSU (from all the Badcaps threads) and scoured the swap-meets for old versions of good supplies for about 3-4 weeks, to no avail.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking of getting a decent new PSU and modding it by simply snipping off a connector from an old supply and 'tapping' on to the relevent 3.3v and 5v wires on the new supply (if the current was sustainable)......
    .....or is it as simple as a mass-produced 'adaptor' which could do the job, which I have just not been able to find? It would be cleaner than me doing a hack job on a new PSU.

It appears this connector has just 'disappeared' from the standard (obviously due to the endless RAMBUS court case), so can anyone help me with this, please?
    Attached Files

Re: Need good PSU with Intel Aux 6Pin Power

My Fortron FSP530-60GNA has the connector... one of these should hold up that system if you can find one.

There is a variant of it, FSP530-60GL, that has a beefier 12v rating; but I've never seen one as it was never available in North America. The SilenX 520W may be one of these, but don't quote me on that. SilenX hasn't always used FSP.

Comment

Thanks, but it's hard enough to find those brands here, let alone suitable models.
      Here are the old specs...

and here is some more info on the 'change of standards' from Toms HW....
      "ATX12V 2.01, a new power supply standard destined to replace ATX 1.3.
      The four new pins feature +12V, +5V, +3.3V lines and an additional ground. These render the older AUX connector superfluous, so the new standard no longer includes one."
      http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/12/...nce/page2.html

Maybe I can 'fashion' an adaptor to suck the juice from that new 4-pin's 3.3V and 5V, but should I be worried there are 2 separate 3.3v lines and 3 earths on the old 'Aux connector'?
      Attached Files

Comment

You can unsolder a 6-pin connector from an old AT PSU PCB, and solder the relevant wires into suitable locations in a stock ATX PSU to obtain this auxiliary connector. Usually, there will be a few unused connection points on +5v, +3.3v and Gnd planes of most ATX PSUs.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
          You can unsolder a 6-pin connector from an old AT PSU PCB, and solder the relevant wires into suitable locations in a stock ATX PSU to obtain this auxiliary connector. Usually, there will be a few unused connection points on +5v, +3.3v and Gnd planes of most ATX PSUs.
          Thanks for that.
          I got out a few old PSU's with that connector, and all of them led back to the same solder block as the rest of the 3.3V and 5V leads, so this should work fine.
          What I will do instead of opening up the new PSU and voiding the warranty, is try to make an adaptor from the 24P option (one with a 20+4 config), using the pin 11, 12, 23 and 24 for the adaptor. http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml
          Wish me luck!
          Last edited by cods69; 07-04-2006, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I dont think you even need the extra power unless you are using 4 sticks of memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatal0E
              I dont think you even need the extra power unless you are using 4 sticks of memory.
              From what I have read, it depends on the individual design of each boardmakers i850 standard. Apparently some don't need it at all, while others do need it depending on ram type/population.
              I myself will not be taking any chances, using 2x256MB 1066, and it could soon be 1.5GB if I find just the right pair on ebay.

I've taken the plunge and got a Silverstone ST60F (thanks to some favorable reviews from both here and jonnyguru) , and am modding a 24-20 pin adaptor with an addon (Intel type) 6pin I scavenged from a dead "Apor Power" (www.galas.com.au) 400W POS.

Simple stuff for most of you guys, but I'll put up some pix when done for us noobs who get caught out without a PSU for one of these mobo's.

Comment

Originally posted by cods69
                I've taken the plunge and got a Silverstone ST60F (thanks to some favorable reviews from both here and jonnyguru)
                Erm, can anyone tell me whether the ST60F should be pulling air INTO the case?
                ie. Air enters honeycomb mesh - exits via fan onto CPU.
                I've sent an email to Silverstone but no reply yet. There is nothing I can find on the website or in the instructions (specs) that states which way it should go, but it would be a first for me if this is the way it works.

Comment

Hi! The ST60F is built for Silverstone by Enhance. As an Enhance it is ENS-0560G. If you can see the ADDA fan lable when looking at the bottom of the PSU, the fan was flipped at instalation or your unit was a return and rebox after someone else had flipped it. These units have no warrenty sticker on a seam. So it is easy to open them and not impact warrenty. Return it or flip the fan yourself.

The early units had ADDA fans that drew .44A and would rip/honk under load. The newer units have ADDA fans that draw .37A #AD1212HB-A71GL

If there is anything else I can offer...Ask.

Comment

I was thinking about this...I bet someone flipped the fan, trying to get more air to thier CPU's heat sink. Look the case over well for tiny scratches. Let us know what's happening :-)

Comment

I often flip the fan to draw air into the PSU case from outside and exhaust it into the cabinet to maintain a positive air pressure wrt the outside of the cabinet. I also fit a fibre air-filter just in front of the air intake to the PSU to trap the external dust.

Net result - a dust-free PC interior, a slightly impeded air flow, and a PSU that runs hotter than normal, but still well within spec. Overall longevity of the system improves (arguably because of less dust on mechanicals, including the fans, CD-ROM drive motors, etc.).

This isn't recommended with a Deer/L&C, however. But I've just recapped and upgraded a Deer and flipped the fan as a trial measure. I don't expect that there will be any reliability issue except maybe the fan - let me see how it goes.

Comment

You are all going to think I'm crazy.

I tested the PSU for over 12hours before finding the air flow was backwards by the usual 'hand behind the vent' test. The mesh was stone cold after hours of heavy use, there was positive air pressure in the case and I could feel warm air coming direct from the fan onto the CPU, proving (to me at least) it was going backwards.
                        There were no signs of it being opened at all (no scratches on screws) and the fan orientation shows the label as per jonnyGURU's pic http://jonnyguru.com/PSU/ST60F/.
                        Only thing was one of the 24pin plugs pins had slightly collapsed so I dismissed it and pushed it back out.

Anyway, I took it back - they tested it and looked at me funny. Turns out it was spinning the right way. After seeing it with my own eyes, I left in a hurry, apologising for me wasting their time.

I found when returning and being sure the suspect pin did not recess again, that it indeed did spin the correct way when I plugged it back in.

Whether it was a combination of the way I've rewired the 24-20 pin converter (see pix below) and the recessed pin that caused weird fan issues, or maybe I AM going slightly over the edge.... ......... anyway, all is working great now.
                        Barely any voltage differences before/after the 'reverse fan' except for 12V was 12.2V before and 12.1V after.

The Silverstone supplied 24-20pin converter along with a harvested Intel 6Pin Aux Connector.

Chopped and soldered and liquid-plastic coated or heat-shrink covered, and some hot-glued just in case.

Thanks again for your help guys.
                        As always, you are all most informative and helpful.
                        As always, I find a way to make my face red.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I forgot about that pic at jonny's site. That fan has the lable on the hub, most fans have the lable on the motor side. My unit has a split shell for 24 or 20 pin hook-up. Many 20 pin boards can use the 24 pin plug by just letting 4 pins hang off the end of the board's ATX port.

Glad you got it sorted out. I think most of us are here to save our ass, not our face ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by cods69
                            I've sent an email to Silverstone but no reply yet.
                            Just to clarify my own statement here, Silverstone DID reply less than 2 days afterward (Fransiskus) and they were very concerned.
                            I explained what happened to Fransiskus after it was sorted and they were very good about everything.

Most impressed.

So impressed I've already talked an associate to replace one of his business workstations PSU's (runs 2 shifts a day, 6 days a week doing Post-Production work) with the ST60F - he tells me the machine has never been so stable.

I have to agree - my machine is incredibly stable (for Windows anyway) since this new supply. A great investment.

BTW - when turning the PSU on at the back switch, the quick 'fzz' noise slightly concerned me, but since hearing the other and it is exactly the same, I'm not as worried. It just runs so damn cool now, and that was my main concern. (that and the 6-pin adaptor)

Comment

On the Enermax Liberty and maybe your unit, that 'fzz' noise will be coil ignition.
                              The Active PFC coil gets excited for a half second or less. Nothing to be concerned about.

Comment

Originally posted by Galvanized
                                On the Enermax Liberty and maybe your unit, that 'fzz' noise will be coil ignition.
                                The Active PFC coil gets excited for a half second or less. Nothing to be concerned about.
                                Excellent - I have that warm and fuzzy feeling.
                                (the good type - nothing electrical)

Thanks again for your reassurance and help. Much appreciated.
                                Last edited by cods69; 07-28-2006, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X