Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Precision 5530 - corrupted bios ?

Hi,
    I have a Dell Precision 5530 (I7 8750H, Quadro P2000, Thunderbolt 3) which is not booting anymore. When I press the power button it lights up for 5 to 20sec, sometime the keyboard can light up, but nothing on screen. When I remove entirely the memory module it acts the same, there is no orange/white blinking, that makes me thinks it's the bios that's having an issue... Also the previous owner told me it never booted again since a bios update.

Here is the dump, seems normal to me, works with UEFITool but it's probably somehow corrupted, I also saw 2 other 1MB eeprom on the board that's for thunderbolt I guess (but if it was corrupt, why the laptop would not recognize empty memory slot/make a debug LED code ?)
    Can someone help me please ?
    Thanks you
    Attached Files

Re: Dell Precision 5530 - corrupted bios ?

Ignore Thunderbolt chips, nothing to do with your issue. I'll see if i can find a dump for this and come back later to help.

EDIT: Found here on Badcaps forum, apparently this is working clear ME dump. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...10&postcount=7
    Check Parser section of UEFITool, yours has a lot of errors.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 11-10-2022, 02:56 PM.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by TheQuentincc View Post
      Hi,
      I have a Dell Precision 5530 (I7 8750H, Quadro P2000, Thunderbolt 3) which is not booting anymore. When I press the power button it lights up for 5 to 20sec, sometime the keyboard can light up, but nothing on screen. When I remove entirely the memory module it acts the same, there is no orange/white blinking, that makes me thinks it's the bios that's having an issue... Also the previous owner told me it never booted again since a bios update.

Here is the dump, seems normal to me, works with UEFITool but it's probably somehow corrupted, I also saw 2 other 1MB eeprom on the board that's for thunderbolt I guess (but if it was corrupt, why the laptop would not recognize empty memory slot/make a debug LED code ?)
      Can someone help me please ?
      Thanks you
      Here's your new file, try it and give me the results.
      Attached Files
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests
      all donations are welcome,
      see the donate button at the bottom of the page, or
      >>>>>
      click on this link to donate via PayPal. <<<<<
      Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        Ignore Thunderbolt chips, nothing to do with your issue. I'll see if i can find a dump for this and come back later to help.

EDIT: Found here on Badcaps forum, apparently this is working clear ME dump. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...10&postcount=7
        Check Parser section of UEFITool, yours has a lot of errors.
        Thank you, is it a reliable information to check each time I make a dump ? What do you think about Hardware1 file ? there is still a lot of "error".
        Originally posted by hardware1 View Post
        Hi, thanks, I can see there is still a "lot" of error in the Parser section of UEFITool, by curiosity what did you do to my dump ?

Sorry if I seems a bit rough but it's a bit painful for me this time, I don't have access to hot air station and to dump/flash my chip I'm desoldering the chip then solder many wire on the eeprom each time (I don't have any board adapter right now)...
        I could have used the header on the board but I had issue in the past with my programmer (modded CH341A) doesn't providing enough power to the whole board...

Comment

Originally posted by hardware1 View Post
          So, the power button doesn't even light up, there is no reaction when pressing the power button...

Comment

Thank you, is it a reliable information to check each time I make a dump ? What do you think about Hardware1 file ? there is still a lot of "error".
            Haven't checked and it's really not my business, I've got a ton of things going on.

Hi, thanks, I can see there is still a "lot" of error in the Parser section of UEFITool, by curiosity what did you do to my dump ?
            No idea what they did, but check the link in my post above, that one's got no errors. See if it works. And yes, as far as my experience with it goes, the Parser section is pretty reliable. All I know is no image or no power to CPU, dump BIOS, have errors, fix BIOS and ME, no errors, flash, it works for me 95% of the time.

Sorry if I seems a bit rough but it's a bit painful for me this time, I don't have access to hot air station and to dump/flash my chip I'm desoldering the chip then solder many wire on the eeprom each time (I don't have any board adapter right now)...
            I could have used the header on the board but I had issue in the past with my programmer (modded CH341A) doesn't providing enough power to the whole board...
            I've used a lot of different programmers and also built my own, I still desolder the chips every time. Clips are not reliable for many boards even on a high end programmer like a TL866 II or a RT809H.
            Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 11-11-2022, 05:34 AM.
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

So, the power button doesn't even light up, there is no reaction when pressing the power button...
              I had repaired your file using latest bios region from Dell, cleaned ME and replaced your service tag padding from your old to the new file.
              I think i had made something wrong or need to replace something more.
              Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests
              see the donate button at the bottom of the page, or
              >>>>>
              click on this link to donate via PayPal. <<<<<

Comment

Neither of those two files has worked, there is no reaction when the power button is pressed.
                I have an interesting behavior that might not be related to the vbios (I'm gonna flash my original one later to confirm if it's related to your bios or the board), when the PSU and battery is plugged, the LED battery charge indicator doesn't even light up when I press the "battery indicator button", however when I unplug the PSU and let only the battery, these LED does light up for like 100ms when pressing the "battery indicator button" (which is not the original behavior with the original corrupted bios), it's a bit strange, FIY these LED are "connected" to the MEC5105/EC controller, maybe there is something bad with the EC firmware ?

Also @Th3_uN1Qu3, it seems like the bios you provided is made for the LA-F541P board, which seems very similar to mine (I have LA-G341P with N18P-Q3-A1 Quadro P2000 GPU core, I should have started with that) but I'm unsure of the real difference. Furthermore I don't see an eeprom for the dGPU vbios, so it's probably embedded in the main bios file ? does it contain all the vbios that are "compatible" with the board ? (which should be 1050+1050Ti+P1000+P2000, counting XPS configuration)
                Last edited by TheQuentincc; 11-11-2022, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Furthermore I don't see an eeprom for the dGPU vbios, so it's probably embedded in the main bios file ? does it contain all the vbios that are "compatible" with the board ? (which should be 1050+1050Ti+P1000+P2000, counting XPS configuration)
                  Sometimes it is embedded in main BIOS, yes. Sometimes it is a smaller, standard SO-8 package, rather than the wide one you are used to see with the regular main BIOS chips.

Comment

I think I broke something or the board died by itself, I started a thread in the right section explaining what's going on https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112182

Comment

Hello
                      Dell Precision 5530
                      Motherboard: DDP00/DDB00 LA-G341P REV:1.0
                      i need Clean up Password Bios
                      Many thanks in advance
                      Attached Files
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      see the donate button below, at the bottom of the page, or
                      >>>>> click on this link to donate via PayPal. <<<<<
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae

Comment

Working...
                      X