X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP 14-dq0055dx - BIOS problem - "Pending Image Being Cleared" Loop

Hello,

I have an HP 14-dq0055dx laptop here that came in for boot looping. It was previously taken to another shop and they tried flashing a BIOS firmware to the chip, so I cannot take an original dump. For a second or two, a message will come up on the screen that says:
    "The System BIOS Pending Image is being cleared.
    Do not shutdown or remove power from your computer during the clearing.
    The clear will take a few minutes to complete.

For more information, please visit: (generic HP support website link)l

Clearing Pending Image"
    This loop will go on for as long as you like. I let it run for about 12 hours and came in the following morning and it's still looping.

Motherboard model number: DA0PAMB46A1 REV: A
    Secondary motherboard model number: 0PAB
    SKU: 685K4UA

Attached is the latest BIOS download from HP's website for this model (sp150458.zip)
    Attached also is the BIOS dump I took before I tried flashing it myself (although this is not the original dump, as someone has already tried flashing this once before)

I did try to flash this chip with a Xgpro T48/TL866II Plus programmer using the latest BIOS from HP myself, but it had no effect. The computer still loops like this. I am not skilled enough yet with working with BIOS files directly, so if someone could please take a look at this, I'd appreciate it very much.
    Attached Files
  • Answer selected by grimacelord at 05-06-2024, 09:11 AM.

Wow. What a weird problem. It was the RAM. Replaced RAM with a different module and BIOS finished the "Pending Image" message and it has now booted into Windows. So it was never a BIOS/EC problem. It was RAM all along. Solved.

Comment

Originally posted by grimacelord View Post
      Hello,

I have an HP 14-dq0055dx laptop here that came in for boot looping. It was previously taken to another shop and they tried flashing a BIOS firmware to the chip, so I cannot take an original dump. For a second or two, a message will come up on the screen that says:

This loop will go on for as long as you like. I let it run for about 12 hours and came in the following morning and it's still looping.

Motherboard model number: DA0PAMB46A1 REV: A
      Secondary motherboard model number: 0PAB
      SKU: 685K4UA

Attached is the latest BIOS download from HP's website for this model (sp150458.zip)
      Attached also is the BIOS dump I took before I tried flashing it myself (although this is not the original dump, as someone has already tried flashing this once before)

I did try to flash this chip with a Xgpro T48/TL866II Plus programmer using the latest BIOS from HP myself, but it had no effect. The computer still loops like this. I am not skilled enough yet with working with BIOS files directly, so if someone could please take a look at this, I'd appreciate it very much.
      When you extracted bios from EXE try 0864A and 0864D 1 by 1
      (on next or every new post include Serial Number as well)

Comment

Originally posted by qayyum786 View Post

When you extracted bios from EXE try 0864A and 0864D 1 by 1
        (on next or every new post include Serial Number as well)
        Oops! I meant to post serial number in original post, but must have forgot. Serial number is: 5CD3223BJP

Flashing 0864A caused the computer to not power on whatsoever. No lights or anything
        Flashing 0864D returned the computer to the original boot loop problem with "Clearing Pending Image" message. Loops forever.

Comment

Oops! I meant to post serial number in original post, but must have forgot. Serial number is: 5CD3223BJP

Flashing 0864A caused the computer to not power on whatsoever. No lights or anything
          Flashing 0864D returned the computer to the original boot loop problem with "Clearing Pending Image" message. Loops forever.

Try this from hp support if this work for you

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...k/td-p/8856668

Step1. Turn off the Unit.

2. Disconnect the AC adapter.

3. Remove any discs from the disc drive.

4. Remove memory cards from the card reader slot.

5. Disconnect all nonessential peripheral devices, such as printers, scanners, external hard drives, and USB flash drives.

6. Disconnect the AC adapter press and hold the power button for approximately 15 seconds.

7. Reconnect the AC adapter, and then turn on the computer.

Step 2 BIOS

Turn off the unit and please press and hold the Windows key + letter B key and the power button together for 30 seconds after 30 seconds, 1st release the power button but keep holding the Windows key and B key for ten more seconds and then release these two keys If done correctly, you will see the display flashing once. Please attempt it thrice as this step and Restart the unit

Step3

The unit has to be turned off, Press Win+ V while holding these two keys then Press the Power button, continue to hold all three keys for 30 seconds and then release the Power button first and then release these two keys Please attempt it thrice and then you may get a Pop-Up CMOS Check and it will restart the unit

Even if you don't get a Pop-up restart the unit manually after 3 attempts.

Update the drivers

Comment

Try this from hp support if this work for you

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...k/td-p/8856668

Tried this and there was no effect. Computer did not respond to Win+B or Win+V methods. After trying both 3 times and seeing nothing happening, powered on the laptop manually and back to same boot loop

Comment

Anyone have any ideas? I've flashed this BIOS chip with both BIOS images from the extracted .EXE and neither one of them fixes the problem. One BIOS image causes the computer to be completely unresponsive and the other has no effect at all. Could the BIOS chip itself be defective? I'm trying to understand what is happening here. If I'm erasing the BIOS chip and then flashing it with a new BIOS image, but the computer is still stuck on a looping "Clearing Pending Image" message, it seems to me like the BIOS chip itself could be faulty or another component on the board entirely such as the ITE/EC? Just trying to think of reasons why this continues to happen even after flashing a new image.

Comment

Tried this and there was no effect. Computer did not respond to Win+B or Win+V methods. After trying both 3 times and seeing nothing happening, powered on the laptop manually and back to same boot loop
                Try an older version.
                Attached Files
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post

Try an older version.
                  Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that BIOS image just causes a black screen, but does show power on LED and charging LED.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that BIOS image just causes a black screen, but does show power on LED and charging LED.
                    Get all of the different bios versions from HP support and extract them, try all 0864D starting with the oldest first
                    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post

Get all of the different bios versions from HP support and extract them, try all 0864D starting with the oldest first
                      Tried every BIOS version from HP's website that contained an 0864D BIOS image. All produced the same loop or black screen/no LEDs. I even changed the BIOS chip itself with no effect.

Interestingly, when I open the original dump (or at least, the dump I took when it came to me as someone else tried to flash this before) in a hex editor and search for "0864", I find an entry that reads:

BID0864D F.26
                      The strange thing is, I cannot find a version F.26 for this model on HP's website. HP's website has the following:

F.08, F.21, F.33, and F.32. No mention of F.26...

Comment

Tried every BIOS version from HP's website that contained an 0864D BIOS image. All produced the same loop or black screen/no LEDs. I even changed the BIOS chip itself with no effect.

Interestingly, when I open the original dump (or at least, the dump I took when it came to me as someone else tried to flash this before) in a hex editor and search for "0864", I find an entry that reads:

The strange thing is, I cannot find a version F.26 for this model on HP's website. HP's website has the following:

F.08, F.21, F.33, and F.32. No mention of F.26...
                        flash your ec if programable i dont think so issue in main bios

Comment

flash your ec if programable i dont think so issue in main bios
                          EC is ITE IT8887HE - Is this EC programmable?

Comment

EC is ITE IT8887HE - Is this EC programmable?
                            yes it is
                            Attached Files

Comment

yes it is
                              Thank you!

I do not have a dedicated EC programmer because I rarely need to program. I have Raspberry pi 3, XGemu Pro T48, CH341A, and a teensy. Can I use any of these to build my own EC programmer? I remember one time I ran jumper wires from the keyboard connector to the EC and flashed but I don't remember how I did it. That was years ago and has been the only time I have ever needed to flash the EC which is why I haven't bought an expensive programmer yet because I might need it once every 7 years.

Comment

Also, I have an identical motherboard that doesn't work for other reasons, can I take the ITE chip from my broken motherboard and use it?

Comment

Does anyone know if I can take the ITE from an identical motherboard that doesn't work and use it to replace the ITE chip on this motherboard with the BIOS problem?

Comment

Replacing ITE chip from identical motherboard had no effect. Still causes boot loop with "Pending Image Being Cleared"

Comment

Wow. What a weird problem. It was the RAM. Replaced RAM with a different module and BIOS finished the "Pending Image" message and it has now booted into Windows. So it was never a BIOS/EC problem. It was RAM all along. Solved.

Comment

Working...
                                      X