Clear All

Re: Sony VPCSB (MBX-237) dead after bios flash

How do you know that's PC205?

I've got a volt reading here:

Here are some extra images you can see to look for DCBATOUT:

Comment

How do you know that's PC205?
      This chip has 32 pins, so, if pin 1 is the one near the white angle mark, then you can count pins anticlockwise, and you have it.
      Now, having a look to schematic, PC205 is connected to pin 7 (and its value is 4.7U_10V, so it has to be a big ceramic cap) and PC259 is connected to pin 6. (just the one beside PC205)
      I can be wrong, and I would need a closed look to the burnt circuit to be completely sure.
      Attached Files

Comment

How many volts should I be reading in PC205 and PC259?

Here are some closed up pictures:

Comment

How many volts should I be reading in PC205 and PC259?
          PC205= +5VALW_LDO should have 5 volts
          PC259= ? (I have no data, I am trying to get SN0608098RHBR its data-sheet, but with any luck)
          You should make sure you have +5VALW_LDO (its extremely important)
          Regards.

Comment

I don't have correct readings, I'm getting 0.09v and 0.5v in PC205/PC259, so do you think the issue is in SN0608098RHBR?

Comment

Originally posted by orientalsniper View Post
              I don't have correct readings, I'm getting 0.09v and 0.5v in PC205/PC259, so do you think the issue is in SN0608098RHBR?
              Could be that SN0608098RHBR is in short-circuit state, if so, you have to check PR324 not to be open.
              PC205 is connected to pin 6, and this chip is powered via this pin.
              BTW, SN0608098RHBR is equivalent to ISL6236.

http://www.icbase.com/File/PDF/ITS/ITS17971001.pdf

Comment

According to the schematic, shouldn't PC259 be connected to Pin6 instead of PC205.

What does PR324 look like and what does PR stand for?

Comment

According to the schematic, shouldn't PC259 be connected to Pin6 instead of PC205.
                  You are right. PC259 is connected to Pin6 instead of PC205. Sorry for my mistake.

What does PR324 look like and what does PR stand for?
                  Resistors look like capacitors, a bit smaller, (in laptops) and usually are black, and they limits the amount of current of a electric circuit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm%27s_law
                  Last edited by Francisco.s; 05-20-2013, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Thank you! I have to go bed, I'll report tomorrow, have a good day!

Comment

I bought a new motherboard from Ebay, I can't get the 3.3V I did from the PowerButton like in the old motherboard, what should be the cause of this?

Comment

Originally posted by orientalsniper View Post
                        I bought a new motherboard from Ebay, I can't get the 3.3V I did from the PowerButton like in the old motherboard, what should be the cause of this?
                        Check PWRSW#_DB, +5VALW_LDO, and +ECVCC.
                        Post results.

Comment

Hola Francisco

Ok, so i measured Pin7 in SN0608098, +5VALW_LDO got me 0.48V

I can't find where to measure PWRSW#_DB and +ECVCC, also this Vaio has 3 main parts:

1) The motherboard (mbx-237)
                          2) A docking board, which connects to the DC Cable Plug
                          3) Another docking boar connecting to the power buttons, power leds, keyboard and touchpad.

Can I test the docking board that delivers power to the board? I want to make sure is not the motherboard before returning to seller.

Here is a photo:

Comment

Ok, so i measured Pin7 in SN0608098, +5VALW_LDO got me 0.48V
                            Hola orientalsniper, you don't need to find PWRSW#_DB and +ECVCC, pin 7 of SN0608098 must have more than 3,3 volts, as you can read in the data-sheet of ISL6236, that is almost pin to pin compatible, so SN0608098 probably is asking to be changed.
                            Good luck.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I'm pretty new to motherboard repairs, so if +5VALW_LDO cannot be measured, does it mean the motherboard has power problem? And the fault is in SN0608098 because is the switching supply controller? Did I get that right?

Also how do I test the docking board? The one in red circle.

Comment

[QUOTE=orientalsniper;357402]I'm pretty new to motherboard repairs, so if +5VALW_LDO cannot be measured, does it mean the motherboard has power problem? And the fault is in SN0608098 because is the switching supply controller? Did I get that right?

Also how do I test the docking board? The one in red circle.

Yes, you got it right.
                                The docking board has many circuits to check, could you be more explicit?

Comment

Es que me quiero asegurar que es la tarjeta madre y no tambien la placa que está encerrada en circulo rojo antes de devolverla al vendedor.

Comment

Your previous board is not totally dead.
                                    Since you flashed it with the bios you downloaded from Sony Bios Update, it won't work and you can't turn it on. It would look like completely dead.
                                    You can try remove bios chip from new board and put it on old board, it should work if you didn't make any major repair to the board.

Comment

I did the same thing which is flashing the bios chip with the file downloaded from Sony site and it won't response to anything. However, I dump whole bios first, so I reflash it and it runs again.

Comment

Original motherboard failed because of a power surge, so I bought a new motherboard, it worked but it didn't detect the battery, so I flashed another BIOS and it stopped working, I even swapped with the BIOS from old motherboard and it didn't boot either, but apparently I destroyed the power switching controller.

Anyways I'm getting a new board and controller. Will report when I get them.

Comment

Hi, orientalsniper. Here you have the bq24725 data-sheet.
                                          I hope you can find this chip in your Sony laptop, and also the BQ24725_VCC_R voltage from one of it´s pin. (you can locate this pin using an ohmmeter)
                                          Good luck.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X