• Show
Clear All

GL4A5/GL5A5 NM-C741 Buffer size not equal to IC size CH341A

Im trying to program a bios chip and I get this error
    The bios (even the original) is 16MB but the chip is only 10MB
    Any solution?
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 08-03-2023, 03:43 PM. Reason: GL4A5/GL5A5 NM-C741

Re: Buffer size not equal to IC size

No flash chip will be 10MB in size. The flash chips are always with a density of power of 2.

That is, 2..4..8..16..32..64..128..256..512..etc.

Post the full markings on the flash IC and the tools you are using for the reading / writing. Very likely that your programmer software is faulty.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      No flash chip will be 10MB in size. The flash chips are always with a density of power of 2.

Post the full markings on the flash IC and the tools you are using for the reading / writing. Very likely that your programmer software is faulty.
      The chip is Gigadevice J2041 25Q80CWIG
      I'm useing CH431 programmer and i tried with neoproggramer, asprogrammer, CH341 programmer and same result.
      Reading the original file from the chip was 16MB also

Comment

I can see in colibri the chip is 1MBx8

but still the bios I was read was also 16MB so I really confused
        What should I do now? i can't even write the original file back

Comment

this is not main bios chip

Comment

Can you share more details of your logic board / make / model / silk screen?

The GD flash you have shared is 1MBx8 = 8 megabits in density.

If your BIOS file is larger, then you are referencing the wrong flash memory device on your logic board. It is very possible to have assorted flash memory devices onboard.

Often, there is a low density flash near the KBC / EC controller and that may be the one you have removed (1MBx8).

The higher density flash device that is the main bios is still somewhere else onboard.

Comment

Can you share more details of your logic board / make / model / silk screen?

The GD flash you have shared is 1MBx8 = 8 megabits in density.

If your BIOS file is larger, then you are referencing the wrong flash memory device on your logic board. It is very possible to have assorted flash memory devices onboard.

Often, there is a low density flash near the KBC / EC controller and that may be the one you have removed (1MBx8).

The higher density flash device that is the main bios is still somewhere else onboard.
              It's a Lenovo L15
              Board: GL4A5/GL5A5 NM-C741 REV 1.0
              This chip is connected to the bios battery so i thought this is the bios chip
              But when i read from it the file i got was 16MB as well so any way even if it's not the bios chip i can't write the original file back
              Last edited by kings cross; 01-31-2023, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kings cross View Post
                The chip is Gigadevice J2041 25Q80CWIG
                Is that what is etched onto the top of the chip or are you using the Auto-detect to read the chip and its what is shown in the software screen.
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                  Is that what is etched onto the top of the chip or are you using the Auto-detect to read the chip and its what is shown in the software screen.
                  That's what wrighted on the chip

Comment

That's what wrighted on the chip
                    Did you disconnect the CMOS battery and the main battery before reading the chip.
                    Did you use Auto-detect or choose the chip manually.The auto-detect setting can often read the wrong size chip.Choosing it manually is always the recommended way for the CH341A, also the EZP programmers, they can mess up as well.
                    You didn`t try writing to or erase the chip did you ? ,if not then the chips contents should still be there and you can go searching for the proper bios chip.

Another thing i should mention,if you have the black PCB CH341A version there is a voltage modification that can be done to make it more reliable,its an easyish mod that only involves lifting one leg of the CH341 IC and soldering a wire from it to a voltage regulator

Heres some videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ln3VIZKKaE
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwnzzF645hA
                    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Did you disconnect the CMOS battery and the main battery before reading the chip.
                      Did you use Auto-detect or choose the chip manually.The auto-detect setting can often read the wrong size chip.Choosing it manually is always the recommended way for the CH341A, also the EZP programmers, they can mess up as well.
                      You didn`t try writing to or erase the chip did you ? ,if not then the chips contents should still be there and you can go searching for the proper bios chip.

Another thing i should mention,if you have the black PCB CH341A version there is a voltage modification that can be done to make it more reliable,its an easyish mod that only involves lifting one leg of the CH341 IC and soldering a wire from it to a voltage regulator

Heres some videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ln3VIZKKaE
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwnzzF645hA
                      I soldered the chip on the adapter board, and i selected the chip manually.
                      The chip is 10MB in every single software i tried even without the programmer pluged, so it's not the software and probably not the chip
                      I just don't understand how the reading was 16 if the chip is 10.

and what in the name of god is the actual bios chip?
                      Last edited by kings cross; 01-31-2023, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I soldered the chip on the adapter board, and i selected the chip manually.
                        The chip is 10MB in every single software i tried even without the programmer pluged, so it's not the software and probably not the chip
                        I just don't understand how the reading was 16 if the chip is 10.

and what in the name of god is the actual bios chip?
                        The chip isn`t 10 as already said by @mon2 ,it is 8Mb megabits (lower case b is bits and upper case B is Bytes),so the file read should be 1,024KB which is 1MB MegaBytes

Post pictures of the adapter board without the chip on it and the software screen when the chip is read manually.Also post some of the 10MB and 16MB backups you made.

Can you answer the other question i asked, did you erase the chip or try writing to it ?

Comment

The chip isn`t 10 as already said by @mon2 ,it is 8Mb megabits (lower case b is bits and upper case B is Bytes),so the file read should be 1,024KB which is 1MB MegaBytes

Post pictures of the adapter board without the chip on it and the software screen when the chip is read manually.Also post some of the 10MB and 16MB backups you made.

Can you answer the other question i asked, did you erase the chip or try writing to it ?
                          Sorry i didn't noticed you asked
                          i earased the chip after i read it and then tried to write and noticed somthing is wrong
                          i posted here the only beckup i have from this chip

i really appreciate your help bty
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by kings cross; 01-31-2023, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Here is the datasheet
                            Attached Files

Comment

Memory org
                              Attached Files

Comment

Sorry i didn't noticed you asked
                                i earased the chip after i read it and then tried to write and noticed somthing is wrong
                                i posted here the only beckup i have from this chip

i really appreciate your help bty
                                Well,the mystery continues. The backup you posted does look like a full 16MB backup,but there`s no way on earth that you read that from the 25Q80CWIG chip, no way.Are you sure you havn`t got confused, you been drinking

EDIT: found this while searching the forum for a GL4A5/GL5A5 NM-C741 bios https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=10 .Now that explains what i think youve done.You backed up the bios from the real sized chip, (bios dump at post #13) ,then youve tried to flash a bios to a different chip (the 25Q80CWIG chip) and erased it.So at least youve got a full sized bios backup. Flash the file posted by Volinkas (#6) to the 25Q80CWIG https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1203957
                                Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-31-2023, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Well,the mystery continues. The backup you posted does look like a full 16MB backup,but there`s no way on earth that you read that from the 25Q80CWIG chip, no way.Are you sure you havn`t got confused, you been drinking
                                  i'm pretty sure
                                  i already erased another chip without reading by accident so i was really careful this time

But thats exactly the mystery i'm taking about

I also tried comparing this file with all the bios files I have for this laptop and none of them matched so i extreamly confused

Comment

I just can't understand what is wrong with this laptop
                                    It's seems to be on, the cpu is getting warm, and there's a nice melody for the diagnostic android app which says 'internal BUS error' but i can't see anything wrong with the voltage or resistance. then i found on lenovo forum someone who posted there's few pcs of this model with the same problom coused by BIOS update and i thought it's probably the problem with my laptop

Comment

i'm pretty sure
                                      i already erased another chip without reading by accident so i was really careful this time

But thats exactly the mystery i'm taking about

I also tried comparing this file with all the bios files I have for this laptop and none of them matched so i extreamly confused
                                      See post #16 ,i made a few edits.

Comment

See post #16 ,i made a few edits.
                                        This was the first accident i was talking about
                                        But now it's another chip
                                        Because I wasn't sure which one was really the bios chip, so I thought if the bios has a battery it should be connected to the bios chip
                                        I guess i was wrong but now what?
                                        there's no hope for this laptop?

Comment

Working...
                                        X