Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenovo T440p - Looking for USB IC number [SOLVED]

Hi guys,

need your help to provide the IC number for Lenovo T440P motherboard pertaining so an IC. I think it is the control IC for the 2 USB3.0 ports since it is not working now. I can see it was blown so I am unable to check.

Plus, I cant find the board view or maybe it's not even available but from the schematic is as per attachment below. I need the IC number so that I can find the replacement.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pronester; 06-11-2022, 04:01 AM. Reason: edit

Re: Lenovo T440p - Looking for IC number

Hi. You can use any part shown in the table that you have posted.

This part is a dual USB load switch in a single package.

If the usb port draws too much current, the load switch will turn off and report this over current status to the upstream PCH IC.

Comment

thanks for the reply mon2

u mean just google TPS2064DGN? i have been looking at this but am not sure if this is the correct IC..

or do u have any suggestion for the IC that i can purchase that of course compatible with the board?
      Last edited by pronester; 06-11-2022, 06:29 AM. Reason: edit

Comment

Correct.

The part is a msop-8 package.

See page 30 of the data sheet for dimensions. Note that there is a bottom side metal belly to act as a heat sink. So be sure to use lots of flux when you apply hot air to remove and replace the part. Take your time and be patient. Then use tweezers to gently move the part. If you rush, the pcb pads will get removed or get damaged.

US $2.23 11%OFF | 5pcs/lot TPS2064DGNR TPS2064DGN TPS2064 MSOP-8
        https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKFQAnc
        Attached Files

Comment

noted mon2..thanks for the suggestion
          just now i've tried an ic (no heat sink at the belly part) from another board but it seems non compatible

Comment

The pinout and specs are important.

When replacing with another component, download the datasheet (if available) and compare the pinout; voltage; current support; function. Only if they match or perhaps better than the original - proceed with the replacement.

As noted, there are tons of manufacturers that make USB load switches - Diodes Inc, Microchip, Fairchild = became Texas Instruments and countless offshore vendors. The quality and features vary.

TI is a great brand but they suck in inventory these days. We use their parts in fair volume but lately have had to respin to keep the products flowing to key OEMs. TI has recently informed us of a new fab being built in Texas that will reduce the lead times for their parts and this should be visible by Q2 of 2022 but we shall see.

For now, you may have to just order from Aliexpress which may be faster for you than for us on the other side of the globe.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
              The pinout and specs are important.

When replacing with another component, download the datasheet (if available) and compare the pinout; voltage; current support; function. Only if they match or perhaps better than the original - proceed with the replacement.

As noted, there are tons of manufacturers that make USB load switches - Diodes Inc, Microchip, Fairchild = became Texas Instruments and countless offshore vendors. The quality and features vary.

TI is a great brand but they suck in inventory these days. We use their parts in fair volume but lately have had to respin to keep the products flowing to key OEMs. TI has recently informed us of a new fab being built in Texas that will reduce the lead times for their parts and this should be visible by Q2 of 2022 but we shall see.

For now, you may have to just order from Aliexpress which may be faster for you than for us on the other side of the globe.
              yeah, agree with u..TI always no stock and where else to go other than aliexpress..
              am going to any local shop in my country that may sell this ic..if possible i need to fix this immediately
              Last edited by pronester; 06-11-2022, 10:02 AM. Reason: edit

Comment

Here is a possible replacement (in stock @ Mouser):

AP2192MPG-13
                MSOP-8
                Active HIGH ENABLE (like the TI p/n)

p/n AP2192MPG will define the MSOP-8 package for this dual switch (-13 is the tape & reel package size if ordering in volume)

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...s+Incorporated

Suggestion: You CAN replace this part with hundreds of other permutation. There are numerous USB DUAL load switches in the marketplace. Search for the keyword 'USB DUAL LOAD SWITCH' -> then confirm the package is MSOP-8 -> download the datasheet -> confirm that the ENABLE pins are ACTIVE HIGH. Then use it for this repair.

What will vary is the current support of the switch before it triggers. That is, if using with mouse / low load devices that are < 500 mA - any USB load switch will work (package & enable logic level must match).

With the above information, you should be able to quickly source a valid replacement in your local markets.

We supply a number of customers in Malaysia including HP and others so you definitely have a high tech scene. Plan B is to buy it from Mouser.
                Last edited by mon2; 06-11-2022, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Here is a possible replacement (in stock @ Mouser):

AP2192MPG-13
                  MSOP-8
                  Active HIGH ENABLE (like the TI p/n)

p/n AP2192MPG will define the MSOP-8 package for this dual switch (-13 is the tape & reel package size if ordering in volume)

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...s+Incorporated

Suggestion: You CAN replace this part with hundreds of other permutation. There are numerous USB DUAL load switches in the marketplace. Search for the keyword 'USB DUAL LOAD SWITCH' -> then confirm the package is MSOP-8 -> download the datasheet -> confirm that the ENABLE pins are ACTIVE HIGH. Then use it for this repair.

What will vary is the current support of the switch before it triggers. That is, if using with mouse / low load devices that are < 500 mA - any USB load switch will work (package & enable logic level must match).

With the above information, you should be able to quickly source a valid replacement in your local markets.

We supply a number of customers in Malaysia including HP and others so you definitely have a high tech scene. Plan B is to buy it from Mouser.
                  thanks..if i can check with u, would this be suitable replacement:

https://my.element14.com/rohm/bd8204...0switch%20msop

but the spec from the datasheet is quite different..

https://my.element14.com/texas-instr...sop-8%20switch
                  Last edited by pronester; 06-11-2022, 10:51 AM. Reason: edit

Comment

You need ACTIVE HIGH for the enable logic to match the one that is defective.

Also, you require a DUAL CHANNEL version of the switch - otherwise, the parts are close.

Let me continue to search this website...

Comment

No - do not see a valid replacement.

If you are really really in a pinch, you can apply a direct jumper from the Vin to the Vbus but then you have ZERO protection and the design will be like ACER motherboards.

That is risky to do as hot-swap designs like USB do cause transients of current draw upon docking / removals.

Another alternative is to wire in a polymer USB suitable fuse which will act like a protection device for transients and protect both sides of the voltage rail and USB device. Polymer fuses are chemical fuses that separate and then heal when the excessive load is removed. The USB load switch is a much more elegant and faster acting solution.

Best to source from Mouser / Digikey if you can.

Comment

No - do not see a valid replacement.

If you are really really in a pinch, you can apply a direct jumper from the Vin to the Vbus but then you have ZERO protection and the design will be like ACER motherboards.

That is risky to do as hot-swap designs like USB do cause transients of current draw upon docking / removals.

Another alternative is to wire in a polymer USB suitable fuse which will act like a protection device for transients and protect both sides of the voltage rail and USB device. Polymer fuses are chemical fuses that separate and then heal when the excessive load is removed. The USB load switch is a much more elegant and faster acting solution.

Best to source from Mouser / Digikey if you can.
                        TQ mon2..i still looking for a physical that selling the ic..if none, aliexpress is way to go then

Comment

Correct.

The part is a msop-8 package.

See page 30 of the data sheet for dimensions. Note that there is a bottom side metal belly to act as a heat sink. So be sure to use lots of flux when you apply hot air to remove and replace the part. Take your time and be patient. Then use tweezers to gently move the part. If you rush, the pcb pads will get removed or get damaged.

US $2.23 11%OFF | 5pcs/lot TPS2064DGNR TPS2064DGN TPS2064 MSOP-8
                          https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKFQAnc
                          hi mon2..just to share that i managed to fix the usb 3.0 ports using the IC purchased from aliexpress. exactly from the link.

thanks again for the input mon2

Comment

Bravo! Thanks for the update. Will help future readers

Comment

Working...
                            X