Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Air A1370 charging issue

Hi,

I currently have a MacBook Air which the battery io board connector has just been replaced. It has a delay charge it says on the MacBook plugged in but not charging for the first 5-10min and then kicks in a start charging. ( I didn't test the laptop before the repair). It has a battery count of 667. Would this be the battery being on its way out or the new battery connector not soldered correctly? I would assume it's the battery as it does charge?

Has anyone had any issues like this before?

Thanks

Re: MacBook Air A1370 charging issue

Is the battery an Apple original? The original battery had ratings of 500-1000 charge cycles.

Any other brand is just luck if it can last this long.

I would try another known good battery.

You can try your luck with Amazon batteries - many compatible ones up there. You can always return it if the results are similar but in general but we have had good luck with next day sourcing.

If still at fault, we can troubleshoot it then. Update this thread either way.

Comment

Ok thanks. Will order a battery from Amazon.

Comment

Most of the random stuff from Amazon is complete garbage. May or may not work, may or may not die after 6 months, may or may not have a decent protection circuit…
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Amazon is great way to test if the original battery is the fault. Can return it after testing.

Comment

If you get 3 bad batteries in a row, how can you confirm anything?
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

My experience is that anything marketed as 'genuine' is likely to be anything but. The only genuine thing you'll ever see is one fished out of the reject bin at the factory (or a device pull).

I have had some success with batteries actually promoted as aftermarket and differentiating themselves on that very fact. Still don't last anything like an original battery from Apple but I warn everyone of that before I ever fit one.

Comment

It does the same thing with a new battery. Is there anything else which can cause this issue?

Thanks

Comment

Post the voltage on each contact of the battery pack while it is connected to the logic board.

Each battery back has a BMS board (battery management board) that communicates over I2C / SMBi interface. We want to be sure these lines are not stuck.

Comment

1 - ground
                    2- 7.1v
                    3- 7.2v
                    4- 7.2v
                    5- 3.2v
                    6- 3.2v
                    7- ground
                    8- ground
                    9- ground
                    10-ground
                    11-ground

The order is right the left when looking at the battery connector.

Strangely now the laptop will not work without the charger. But the charger is not charging the battery.

Comment

The A1370 chassis had different logic boards inside.

Can you confirm the 820-xxxx number marked on your logic board ?

Do you have the

820-2796 or

820-2855 or

820-3053 (LIO board so skip this) or

820-3024 ?
                      Last edited by mon2; 04-03-2022, 07:36 AM.

Comment

After posting the logic board # 820-xxxx number,

< the following are referenced to the 820-3024 schematic >

1) using only the battery, post the voltage of:

D6905 - pins # 1, 2, 3
                        (see attached)

2) voltage of PP3V42_G3H_REG (measure @ L6995, pin # 2).

3) R7051 - pin # 1

4) R7052 - pin # 1

5) Pin # 18 (CSOP) of U7000

6) Pin # 17 (CSON) of U7000
                        Attached Files

Comment

820-2855

Comment

Ok - I think your PP3V42_G3H_REG is low.

Can you confirm this voltage first ? It should be 3v42 if ok.

Check @ L6995, pin # 2.

If you do not see this voltage, remove all power, meter in resistance mode.

Check the resistance to ground of L6995, pin # 2.

Post the readings.

Comment

Is there a motherboard schematic which will help me locate the pins?

Thanks

Comment

Yes. That is the purpose of the boardview file. Check around this forum, it should be available but if not, I can post it in a bit.

820-2855

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68473

For the coil, just measure on both sides to be sure.

The pp3v42 rail is a required voltage and believe you are too low if 3v2.
                                Last edited by mon2; 04-03-2022, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Hi,

L6995 is 3.42v

Comment

D6905 - pin 1- 7.58v pin 2- 7.13v pin 3- 7.33v
                                    R7051 - pin # 1 - 7.36v
                                    R7052 - pin # 1- 7.36v
                                    Pin # 18 (CSOP) of U7000 - 0.10v
                                    Pin # 17 (CSON) of U7000- 0.10v

Comment

The PP3V42_G3H_REG voltage @ 3v42 is perfect.

Can you confirm these readings again ? These are not correct.

Pin # 18 (CSOP) of U7000 - 0.10v
                                      Pin # 17 (CSON) of U7000- 0.10v
                                      Be sure that you are selecting the proper pins on this square device (QFN package).

Expecting the same voltage readings as you have posted for R7051 & R7052 to be reaching these pins on the U7000 IC.

If indeed you are confident that you are reading these voltages, then power down. Meter in resistance mode (lowest scale).

Measure the resistance from R7051, pin # 1 to pin #18 of U7000. This resistance value should be ~ 0 ohms since this is a direct PCB trace = wire.

Measure the resistance from R7052, pin # 1 to pin #17 of U7000. This resistance value should be ~ 0 ohms since this is a direct PCB trace = wire.

If indeed the resistance is high, this is a fault - the charger IC needs to see the same voltage readings through these pins as you have posted from the above resistors. This means the traces are broken between the resistor legs and U7000. Look for any visual damage - corrosion ??

With the low voltage readings, the charger IC will shut OFF due to the device thinking that too much of a load on the charger legs since the voltage is close to 0 v.

Take your time and care to measure on the pins of U7000. The boardview should help to locate the proper pin numbers.

Need to run for some house repairs - will check back later.
                                      Last edited by mon2; 04-03-2022, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Hi,

It seems to still be no voltage. I am going to have to get a better microscope as the magnifying tool I have isn't great.

However, I have tried continuity on chip C7050. Would this cause me issues with seeing the voltage? If I check the resistance, I am getting zero from the the U7000 to the R7051 and R7052 chip.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X