Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Good luck man! Always a satisfying feeling when it boots and runs properly straight away

Just remember to check your polarities and check for continuity between the two sides before you fire it up!
    Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

It's ALIVE!!!! bwaa haahaa

The fix was a 100% success!

I can't believe such a major TOSHIBA problem was fixed by such a cheap fix. (approx $13 NZ not including labor).

TOSHIBA should recall all laptops fitted with these NEC Tokin chips and fix this issue once and for all!

SO here is photo of the finished product as promised.

I can't claim the soldering work as my own I have a guy who does this sort of thing for me.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Stevenator; 10-31-2013, 06:50 PM. Reason: forgot to add GST to $$

Comment

Brilliant work matey, well done!

True they should, but it makes for some cheap buy-fix-resell work for us to do

Comment

Hey guys, first post.

I have a Toshiba L305-S5955 and experienced some of the symptoms described here when I upgraded my cpu from the Intel Celeron M 900 single core to a Core 2 Duo T9300 dual core. Problem was driving me crazy. I describe it in detail at Toshiba forum here:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Compute.../486271#M59550

Did a fair amount of research and came across this forum which has apparently discovered the root cause and a fix.

I'm not sure I am going to implement the fix as I have reverted back to the original cpu which does not experience the symptoms. However, if I do decide to reinstall the T9300, I will have to pull the evil thingy and install new caps.

Thanks again for all your hard work on solving this problem.

Comment

There is a good chance it will eventually happen using your Celeron 900, too.

T9300 is fully compatible with your board btw, I used one myself, great CPU.

Comment

I agree. Just placed order for my caps and looking forward to the challenge. I am bound and determined to get that T9300 back in there

Comment

Guys who have an AMD-socket L300 with no NEC/Tokin which is not POSTing - REPLACE YOUR VCORE CAPS! I've had two boards here for a while which are exactly the same symptoms but have no tokin. Replaced the 4x330uF caps on both in a ditch attempt and it actually worked!

Might be worth trying on other models with the same too!

EDIT: One of the boards needs an NB reflow too though so bear that in mind.
                Last edited by spleenharvester; 11-01-2013, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I've found the cheapest replacements for the bad NEC/Tokin caps are the Kemet T520V337M2R5ATE009 --

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
                    Guys who have an AMD-socket L300 with no NEC/Tokin which is not POSTing - REPLACE YOUR VCORE CAPS! I've had two boards here for a while which are exactly the same symptoms but have no tokin. Replaced the 4x330uF caps on both in a ditch attempt and it actually worked!

Might be worth trying on other models with the same too!

EDIT: One of the boards needs an NB reflow too though so bear that in mind.
                    check it and will let you know. get one board with same symptoms

Comment

Another success here. Used 4x 330uF tantalums. On this particular model there was also a lonely 220uF tantalum in the middle of the CPU socket, along the usual NEC/TOKIN 0E907 on the bottom. Now the 220uF tantalum cap has 4 new buddies.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Hello,
                        I have Toshiba laptop A300 1GN with cap. 0E907
                        What version you're suggesting is OK:
                        a. 5 caps AVX TAJB227K002RNJ, SMD; 220uF; 2,5V ±10%
                        b. 2 caps AVX TPSD477K006R0045 SMD, 470uF; 6,3V; ±10%
                        c. 2 caps AVX TAJC477K004RNJ SMD, 470uF; 4V; ±10%
                        d. 3 caps AVX TAJC337K006RNJ SMD, 330uF; 6,3V; ±10%

Or will propose an equivalent
                        [URL-"http://www.tme.eu/en/katalog/?art=TC-330%2F6.3-SMDD&cleanParameters=1&f_field=artykul&f_order=ASC&page=19%2C20&limit=20#id_category=113245&page=1&s_field=artykul&s_order=ASC"]smd tantalum capacitors [/URL]
                        Thank you for a quick response

Comment

Hello,
                          I have Toshiba laptop A300 1GN with cap. 0E907
                          What version you're suggesting is OK:
                          a. 5 caps AVX TAJB227K002RNJ, SMD; 220uF; 2,5V ±10%
                          b. 2 caps AVX TPSD477K006R0045 SMD, 470uF; 6,3V; ±10%
                          c. 2 caps AVX TAJC477K004RNJ SMD, 470uF; 4V; ±10%
                          d. 3 caps AVX TAJC337K006RNJ SMD, 330uF; 6,3V; ±10%

Or will propose an equivalent
                          smd tantalum capacitors
                          Thank you for a quick response

Comment

i also have Toshiba Satellite L300. same problem, restart like hell. Found temporary solution before cap replacement by myself. work for 8 month until now already order a cap replacement for worst case scenario. i create a bat file you can download it unzip and right click the file OneStepRestartSolution.bat and run as administrator .

Create a system restore point before continue, in-case you not happy with it.
                            This temporary solved the restart problem and caused cpu temperature increase a bit.
                            No more energry saving, because CPU is in 100% performance.
                            One step registry edit and disabled few thing a temporary solution before cap replacement.

DoIt at your own risk.

If still having restart problem,
                            goto control panel, power options select High performance and apply this fix again.
                            click Change plan settings, click change advanced power settings,
                            look for Processor power management, at the Process idle disable select Disable idle.

Goto BIOS set Always Low. if restart at boot. and start the notebook with a windows7or8 installation USB.
                            press F12, select USB then select repair then select continue booting to windows.
                            Attached Files

Comment

acer aspire 6920g - replaced oe907 with 4 smd 470uf 2.5v capacitors but no luck

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread for a while.

My acer aspire 6920g kept restarting and i researched and found this forum by pure chance.
                              most people thought it was the second processor.
                              anyway, i ordered 4 tantalum smd 470uf 2.5v capacitors as a replacement for the oe907 chip.
                              I used a soldering gun to remove the oe907 chip eventually after 3 hours.aluminium plate down below it was the hardest to remove.
                              I replaced it with the 4 chips.
                              put the laptop back together(which was also tricky with the wiring) and put the power adapter back into it to test.
                              Power comes on and when i hit the power switch the fan starts but that is it.
                              no bios screen on the monitor and keyboard is not functioning now.
                              i assume it's the chips.
                              am i correct in thinking that 4 x 470uf is too much as a replacement for a oe907 as it is 900uf and 4 chips is 1880????
                              [B]

help???????

Comment

In some applications, the NEC/TOKIN capacitor is used as a feed through capacitor.
                                Current from the Vcore regulator flows into one of the outer + strips and out the other end to the CPU.
                                Check for continuity between where the two outer + strips were soldered to the PCB.

Or maybe other damage was caused by too much heating. Its best to rip the capacitor off the PCB as is described earlier in this thread.
                                Last edited by rievax_60; 11-27-2013, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Re: acer aspire 6920g - replaced oe907 with 4 smd 470uf 2.5v capacitors but no luck

Originally posted by murphyai View Post
                                  Hi guys,

I've been following this thread for a while.

My acer aspire 6920g kept restarting and i researched and found this forum by pure chance.
                                  most people thought it was the second processor.
                                  anyway, i ordered 4 tantalum smd 470uf 2.5v capacitors as a replacement for the oe907 chip.
                                  I used a soldering gun to remove the oe907 chip eventually after 3 hours.aluminium plate down below it was the hardest to remove.
                                  I replaced it with the 4 chips.
                                  put the laptop back together(which was also tricky with the wiring) and put the power adapter back into it to test.
                                  Power comes on and when i hit the power switch the fan starts but that is it.
                                  no bios screen on the monitor and keyboard is not functioning now.
                                  i assume it's the chips.
                                  am i correct in thinking that 4 x 470uf is too much as a replacement for a oe907 as it is 900uf and 4 chips is 1880????
                                  [B]

help???????
                                  hot air near cpu socket =

you rip of the tokin capacitor with a blade .. uff
                                  try to consider on reballing the cpu socket
                                  Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

i never used a blade at all.
                                    i used a gun soldering iron which is slight hotter that soldering iron
                                    i didn't damage any of the area at all.

Comment

Originally posted by murphyai View Post
                                      i never used a blade at all.
                                      i used a gun soldering iron which is slight hotter that soldering iron
                                      i didn't damage any of the area at all.
                                      Have you done the test I mentioned earlier?

Comment

it wasn't possible to rip the capacitor off the board and to be honest you will damage a board in most cases doing that.

so i melted it off the board with a soldering gun and then the aluminium plate underneath as well.

i think i haven't soldered the capacitors on correctly.

i will desolder them later and only add 2 x 470uf 2.5 to the board as that is 940

i also received a how to guide from the people who supplied me with the capacitors which i will post now for other users here.

i will let you know later on how the soldering went.

i only have a multimeter as well
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by murphyai; 11-28-2013, 04:26 AM.

Comment

dHelp me !

a friend of mine brought me an A300 with power on but no video problem, before I start replacing Nec/Tokin I noticed a tiny capacitor was burnt near to LVDS socket. Since it has no location code I can't tell what it is but it is a capacitor on 3.3V line.
                                          For every case I replaced nec / tokin to see whats going to happen but no change.
                                          Now I need schematic for this motherboard, if anyone can share I will be very thankful.
                                          (Toshiba A300-1MO)

ps : notebook is consuming 0.35A when powered on.

[/IMG]
                                          Last edited by tomodachi; 11-28-2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X