• Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Have you tested the heat pipe?
    See this thread "Toshiba Satellite L300 overheating ,bad heatsink?"

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
      Have you tested the heat pipe? See this thread "Toshiba Satellite L300 overheating ,bad heatsink?"
      Yes, here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=41

Comment

one thing i definentlly noticed when i changed my chip for the caps was it does`nt get anywhere near as warm as it did and the warmth was definently coming from the area of the chip!

Comment

What a great site and what great info!
          Thanks guys! I will try to revive my A205 A.S.A.P!
          I will buy 4 of the T520V337M004ATE007 and see how it goes!

I will post with the results as soon as I get it done.
          Until then... Keep up the good caping!

Comment

Originally posted by Notsosure View Post
            For OE128, the following (or similar) replacements could be tried (in the preferential order of my guesswork):
            PSGV0E337M6
            T520V337M004ATE007
            T520V337M2R5ATE007
            T528Z337M2R5ATE008
            T520V337M2R5ATE009
            PSGV0E337M9
            NTP477M2.5TRV(6)F
            PSGV0E477M9
            OE128 (will definitely work but may not last long)

For OE907, the following (or similar) replacements could be tried (in the preferential order of my guesswork):
            PSGV0E337M6
            T520V227M004ATE006
            T520V337M004ATE007
            T520V337M2R5ATE007
            GRM31CR60J107ME39L
            T528Z337M2R5ATE008
            T520V337M2R5ATE009
            PSGV0E337M9
            NTP477M2.5TRV(6)F
            PSGV0E477M9
            OE907 (will definitely work but may not last long)

Also, look at the guidelines: http://www.niccomp.com/help/capsubguide.asp
            NotSoSure (or anyone else more expert than me, meaning a lot of you!)are you here?
            I only found 10 of the T520V337M2R5ATE009 polymer tantalum capacitors available and ready to ship (with low cost shipping and not with an outrageous shipping cost of 20 Euros).
            Should I go with these or should I look more for the ones that are on the top of your recommendations list?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by LuSiD View Post

Should I go with these .....?
              Yes, 4 of these should be fine to replace OE128.

Comment

solution of the post #378 failed though I was really really hoping it would work long. I am sorry. But no matter since am writing this post from nec tokin's failed. It's working again by chance at least I guess. This is my second attempt to recover computer without changing nec-tokin o128. In this solution when we power up computer we need to do it on just battery then plug in after log onto windows. (this is important). The thing I did was changing advanced power settings. (I am not an expert on this topic so may not work on every chip) Just click on battery icon then in more power options (no difference between any power plans for example high performance and power saver just choose one) then ' change plan settings'. On the left bottom of the page just see 'change advanced power settings' click on. on another page will see some subjects in which we will choose processor power management. There two subs -on battery- and -plug-in-. just increase their percentage to %100. It should work without any freeze. The reason for this I guess just windows is using CPU on on its peak and the CPU, it self preventing harddisk to freeze. (other logical ideas welcome). Just one time computer didn't have a successful start up in past week. ( I did start up machine on pluged in so we need to start up on battery then plug in after windows log on) and for this I am thinking about windows services to come up alive after log on which was a late one.
                As stated before I am really not sure about this solution. But why not giving a chance..
                thanks.
                Last edited by conan51; 10-31-2012, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Change the nec tokin 1e28 below the cpu with 4pcs of 330mfd cap 2v with low esr better panasonic caps.is a 100% solution to this problem affected models sat a200, 205,300 and sat m205

Comment

guruji,

Thank you for reiterating the solution, which is known for at least two years now. In this thread itself Rainbow mentioned the solution in February 2011 while stj and Wizard had provided some hints as early as February 2010. To my knowledge, the earliest solution of Proadlizer replacement was provided in September 2010 in Toshiba Forums. In fact, someone got a Toshiba laptop repaired in India in August 2010 but was only told that “core voltage controller chip” was replaced and based on this information someone else found out the details of the chip from a Chinese website in Sep 2010. So the exact solution is known at least from Sep 2010, if not earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by conan51 View Post
                      As stated before I am really not sure about this solution. But why not giving a chance..
                      thanks.
                      As earlier, I would still insist that this solution is to be tried either as a temporary measure or if the only other option available is to throw away the laptop. I am yet to come across a better permanent solution than replacing the Proadlizer. However, the very first temporary solution to be tried is to disable the cores in Device Manager, which will most likely extend the life of the laptop by several months. This will provide enough time to prepare oneself for the ultimate solution of Proadlizer replacement.

Comment

I my self have a Toshiba A 205 and am pretty sure it is the OE. Have done all the riggerous seneriors of disabling cores ect.. and it finally just quite with the power plugged in. I have read some posts that maybe I shouldnt replace the OE with another OE due to the quality. Is that so? If so, which cap(s) should I get that will last. This laptop is my life (so to speak) cant afford a new lappy right now. I live in the USA and any help/advice will greatly be apperciated.

Comment

However, the very first temporary solution to be tried is to disable the cores in Device Manager, which will most likely extend the life of the laptop by several months. This will provide enough time to prepare oneself for the ultimate solution of Proadlizer replacement.[/QUOTE]

I agree,
                          Ultimate soliution is to change nec-tocin. However circumstances are not available to replace whatever it so. I 'don't have credit card to buy right chips. Anyway I'm just taking easy otherwise would throw away laptop. On the other hand disabling one core will not satisfy my personel needs or someone else too.

Laptop is doing good now no freeze etc. If this fails too I will plunge laptop into an olive oil barrel

Comment

However, the very first temporary solution to be tried is to disable the cores in Device Manager, which will most likely extend the life of the laptop by several months. This will provide enough time to prepare oneself for the ultimate solution of Proadlizer replacement.

I agree,
                            Ultimate soliution is to change nec-tocin. However circumstances are not available to replace whatever it so. I 'don't have credit card to buy right chips. Anyway I'm just taking easy otherwise would throw away laptop. On the other hand disabling one core will not satisfy my personel needs or someone else too.

Laptop is doing good now no freeze etc. If this fails too I will plunge laptop into an olive oil barrel[/QUOTE]

A far-out solution, would be to get some other PCB's from broken electronics, take some of the brown MLCC capacitors (find some big ones) off of them, and solder them parallel with the NEC-TOKIN.
                            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by zelda View Post
                              I have read some posts that maybe I shouldnt replace the OE with another OE due to the quality. Is that so? If so, which cap(s) should I get that will last.
                              Yes, OE does not last long. My replaced OE128 had lasted about 8 months but some others were not even that much lucky. It is still one of the cheapest solution for people who do not mind another replacement in few months. Of course you can pull on few more months by entering Safe Mode and disabling both the processor cores IN THE DEVICE MANAGER (NOT IN BIOS, as this will reduce speed).

A more permanent solution will require you to replace OE with suitable small caps (you can use the list given above as a guide) that are available economically from your geographic location. You can also consider the ebay link provided above.

Comment

On the other hand disabling one core will not satisfy my personel needs or someone else too.
                                Looks like you were trying to disable cores in the BIOS. Try disabling them in the Device Manager as mentioned in my previous post. The former method seriously affects the speed but the latter does not. You can clearly see the difference in CPU-Z.
                                Last edited by Notsosure; 11-01-2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

I have just replaced the capacitor in an A200 model PSAF4A-00S009.
                                  I was told that the A200 had the typical symptoms, freezing or restarting sometimes.
                                  I tested for a long time and had no trouble but there was about 50mv of ripple.

Although the capacitor looks like the usual NEC/Token, it has different numbers, WR 2R5 122. My searching indicates its made by United-Chemicon.

Has anyone confirmed this type of capacitor as being faulty?

Comment

Just to notice you guys... I found that for that this nec capacitor makes impossible to install win7 too,when i try to install it froze or block on some blank screen.I replaced it and woala win7 installs without problems.Thanks for all of your posts guys you rock!

Comment

Originally posted by PVH View Post
                                      OK, I got it. I used 4 smd caps 330uf of 2,5V that I took from an old scrap board. The Nec/Tokin caps came out in layers from top to bottom. Using a tiny flat head screw driver to pry it off. The soldering was bit more difficult, but nothing that a bit of acid and 60W soldering iron couldn't do. Patience is a virtue in this type of job.
                                      Awesome thread, just picked up a 205 for $50 US and it has this "no boot on AC but good on battery" problem, Mine is added by the fact that the battery only holds a charge for 15 minutes and the Vista password is unknown. Not an issue as I plan on putting 7 or Puppy Linux on it.
                                      Anyway, question: I cant get the last plate off the board. I have peeled all the layers of the OE120 but the soldered on is holding fast. My question is short of hot air station, can I gently pry this plate off or will I rip off the solder pads of the MOBO? Observation: the center plate of the Proadlizer is common across the 2 inner (-) rails, and the (+) rails are seperate. When I trace the rails (negative lead to MOBO gnd) I get continuity from MB ground to center, but no cont between center and rails (duh), cont between + rail and +rail, if I put neg probe on + rail(s) and pos probe on center I get cont (?) but not in the other direction indicating a diode somewhere in the circuit?..I guess my observation is that you can leave this last plate soldered and use it as a large solder pad in itself for your 4 330uF tant caps across to the + rails...? Then there is the clearance question as my 205 board actually has a heatsink that is clearanced for the OE120 cap and I dont know if the added height of the old plate will cause issues. I was going to use cheap available 125C rated 330uF 10V electrolytic caps but I dont think they will fit unless I take that heatsink off, or mount them remotely where there is space (where the HD decoder board would have gone) any thoughts on that? Its just a thought.
                                      Last edited by 68pishta; 11-11-2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

disregard on the plate theory, I pried center plate off with a Xacto blade, as with + rails with a little cutting...OK, who has the best prices on these Tants? Who is RS? Im in USA
                                        Last edited by 68pishta; 11-11-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Hi All,

I have been following this thread and have a similar 330uf problem with my A200. It shuts down randomly irrespective if the battery is in or not. So I wanted to try to replace the capacitor. I wanted to have a look at what it has and I was unable to determine what sort of capacitor is in there. There are 15 small and 1 even smaller capacitor.

Would appreciate if someone could have a look at the pics and if possible advise as to what the next step should be...even if its just to bin it which would be a shame as i really liked the laptop!

Many thanks

http://*************/photo/my-images/832/imag0371x.jpg
                                          http://*************/photo/my-images/401/imag0368j.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                          X