Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell XPS 9560, shuts down when charger connected.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell XPS 9560, shuts down when charger connected.

Hi Friends
    So i have today a XPS9560 laptop with LA-E331P motherboard i7 CPU.
    There were some corrosion around the charging chip BQ777. I cleaned the corroded component with ultrasonic. And then tested all the components within the corroded area. Replaced 2 resistors as they had wrong readings and then the laprop powered on. The original laptop battery were shorted and the battery fuse were blowen (inside battery circuit) so i replaced the battery as well.
    Now the batttery is charging normally. But the only wiered issue i am facing is that when the charger is connected (with or without battery) the laptop shuts downd during windows loading (no restarting but completely shuts down). But it does not shutdows in bios. Only shuts down during loading windows. It also shuts down when booting from usb to install fresh windows. However, when only the battery is connected (without the charger), the laptop is completely fine with excellent working performance.

I have tried couple of clean bioses but the same issue. So any suggestions or if anyone else has experianced the same issue and resolved it please share.

Just to added, the charger is dell original and is 130w and working just fine.

Thanks

Re: Dell XPS 9560, shuts down when charger connected.

Do you have the schematic? Usually all laptop computer have two source of power, Power from the Charger and power from the Battery. These two power have dual diode that mostly the problem. One of the diode could be leak and that could be the reason the laptop turns off when other power source is plug-in.

Comment

Originally posted by MobileXT View Post
      Do you have the schematic? Usually all laptop computer have two source of power, Power from the Charger and power from the Battery. These two power have dual diode that mostly the problem. One of the diode could be leak and that could be the reason the laptop turns off when other power source is plug-in.
      Thanks for the reply,
      Yes sure this is the schematics... kindly find the attached file.

On the other hand, just wanted to mention again, the laptop is not shutting down when in the bios, it only shuts off during windows boot. I have already replaced the ssd and the ram just to sum the odds. But no luck. I also tried the usbc charger but the same issue presist..
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Weelcup; 03-12-2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Goto page 54 & 56 on the schematic and check the PD303 and PD304, PD302
        Last edited by MobileXT; 03-13-2021, 02:23 AM.

Comment

May sound bit wierd but try changing the caps on vcore/gpu area. better replace 220uF with 330uF caps. I had a somewhat similar issue on HP LA-D703 mb and was solved by replacing these caps.

Comment

thanks for following up..
            will check them soon..

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
              May sound bit wierd but try changing the caps on vcore/gpu area. better replace 220uF with 330uF caps. I had a somewhat similar issue on HP LA-D703 mb and was solved by replacing these caps.
              hmmm! well this is new.. will definitely try that . thanks for sharing your own experience ...

Comment

Exactly as you mentioned i have replaced all the three diodes. Boom! It is loading windows 10 without shutting off. So definitely you are right those diodes were affecting the board. When using multimeter in diode mode, all the diodes are giving the same values so it is very surprising why they were failing.
                However, i just noticed that the laptop experianced 2 more shut downs with in windows. 5-10mins after windows loads.
                Nevertheless, replacing the diodes you mentioned helped.

Thanks again for the great help.

Comment

Glad to hear that its solved but you need to keep your fingers crossed. Diodes PD303/304/302 were good as per you. then how replacing them will solve it. It may be 'coz of heat apllied during replacement of these 3 diodes. So wait for 2-3 days and check again.

Comment

Glad to hear that its solved but you need to keep your fingers crossed. Diodes PD303/304/302 were good as per you. then how replacing them will solve it. It may be 'coz of heat apllied during replacement of these 3 diodes. So wait for 2-3 days and check again.
                    I see, will wait then. And see then will update this post about the result.

Thanks again as it was not in my account to replace those diodes at all after it was giving right values. So this is added to the experience info. 🤗

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Weelcup View Post
                      Exactly as you mentioned i have replaced all the three diodes. Boom! It is loading windows 10 without shutting off. So definitely you are right those diodes were affecting the board. When using multimeter in diode mode, all the diodes are giving the same values so it is very surprising why they were failing.
                      However, i just noticed that the laptop experianced 2 more shut downs with in windows. 5-10mins after windows loads.
                      Nevertheless, replacing the diodes you mentioned helped.

Thanks again for the great help.
                      Glad to hear that its solve the shutdown problem when DC-in is plug-in.

Comment

You were very right. The laptop is doing the same (shutting down soon after the charger is connected).

So it might be the heat applied to that area.

But the issue gradually re-occur. And now is shutting off with a second after connecting the charger while in windows.

Comment

Did you replaced the charger IC?? If not, try replacing it. I was more or less sure that the problem will re-appear coz when diode is not faulty and still replacing it solves the problem, means problem is likely nearby. Do check the resistors and caps around charger IC. Too me, it appears some resistor or cap is still faulty and/or not well connected.

Comment

Did you replaced the charger IC?? If not, try replacing it. I was more or less sure that the problem will re-appear coz when diode is not faulty and still replacing it solves the problem, means problem is likely nearby. Do check the resistors and caps around charger IC. Too me, it appears some resistor or cap is still faulty and/or not well connected.
                            I have already replaced the charging ic. But will check the caps and resistors near by.

Thanks for following. I will update the post after geting the result.

Comment

Working...
                            X