Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP probook 640 g2 - does it self destruct with bios chip removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP probook 640 g2 - does it self destruct with bios chip removal?

I know its a couple years later, but I have a possible theory. The HP laptops that have socketed BIOS chips are internal engineering samples. I've gotten my hands on them twice on the used market. They have Rev. B bios instead of the standard Rev. F bios most of them have. That would account for why the 1st laptop didn't work, but not the second. So I'm not sure about that. But I can confirm that the internal prototypes they use in testing do in fact come with removal bios chips. The first one I found was a 8540W with a dreamcolor screen. It had no stickers, nothing on anything, the CPU was written on with a marker. Even the case seemed hand made. I scored it off eBay years ago. I just recently scored a 810 G2 it has some stickers, it's funny the warranty says 0 years and the serial number starts with ABC and is not in their system.

Comment

Re: HP probook 640 g2 - does it self destruct with bios chip removal?

Like others, I too have noticed the dates on this thread but as I was just directed here via a Google search, I will add some info. I was just looking into the possibility of sniffing a Bitlocker key from the TPM chip on Probook 640 G5 and see the engineering samples being mentioned as a reason for removable BIOS chip. This laptop I am contemplating the Bitlocker recovery on actually has a removable BIOS chip. A coworker has had success in both these and the G2 in removing the password, so it should be possible for you.

Comment

Working...
      X