Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenovo Yoga unidentified component

Hi,
    after a short circuit , the npn mosfet has burned, after a replace now the voltage reaches the motherboard but I have identified another component that has sign of burns.
    I have the schematic but seem that the U40 is not the same.
    Someone can identify this component.
    thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Lenovo Yoga unidentified component

U40 looks like the same as in the schematics to me.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Are you sure ? , it's on Page 30/37 ..

TPS2553DRV_SON6_2X2

Comment

I think your confusion comes from this mosfet having 7 pins .. Notice that the seventh pin is a ground pad ..

Comment

Ok (the gnd pad is under the component), i do not understand the function of this component.
          Last edited by jasko_jacker; 09-24-2017, 08:00 AM.

Comment

It's a part of the USB system , so if shorted , yes , it would prevent booting .
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jiroy; 09-24-2017, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Basically it's a switch that enables/disables USB power depending on the signal present on the EN pin. Additionnally, it provides protection against over-current situation on the USB port.
              Remove U40 and inject 5V on its output and check if the current is higher than it should be.
              If it's fine (less than 1.5A) then you can put a jumper from input to output for testing purpose only. You'll have to replace U40 in all cases.
              OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                Basically it's a switch that enables/disables USB power depending on the signal present on the EN pin. Additionnally, it provides protection against over-current situation on the USB port.
                Remove U40 and inject 5V on its output and check if the current is higher than it should be.
                If it's fine (less than 1.5A) then you can put a jumper from input to output for testing purpose only. You'll have to replace U40 in all cases.
                I really wonder what "something USB" could have drawn more than 1.7 Amps , lol ..

Comment

I never fixed a motherboard of this type and If I understand well how it works:
                  for the moment I can not consider u40 because it does not receive + 5VDX_WALKPORT (right ?), coming from ISL95905
                  this is an IC Integrated Power Management (all in one, provides all the necessary voltages to major components, cpu, ram etc) and I think I should check if it works.
                  the datasheet is not available
                  Last edited by jasko_jacker; 09-24-2017, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
                    I never fixed a motherboard of this type and If I understand well how it works:
                    for the moment I can not consider u40 because it does not receive + 5VDX_WALKPORT (right ?), coming from ISL95905
                    this is an IC Integrated Power Management (all in one, provides all the necessary voltages to major components, cpu, ram etc) and I think I should check if it works.
                    the datasheet is not available
                    It would be difficult but not impossible , to determine the IC status . Try first to identify the health of the IC other's voltages . If things are constant and true , then the IC is fine and working .
                    In such case , you could follow the tps255XX surrounding components ..

Comment

No voltages out from PU3, it is powered by 8.4V .
                      Charge chip is ok, ITE is not powered but I have difficult to detect the +3v source without boardview.

Comment

Why dont you remove U40 from mobo and see what happens?? Its not going to harm as its only usb power,usb port will not work. Sometimes a burnt IC may prevent other voltage rails. Just think about it.

Comment

It's logical to assume jasko_jacker; has removed U40 by now. No reason to leave a burnt component anyway .
                          If ISL95905HIZ-T is acting strange , better replace it , it's available from manufacturer Intersil Corporation .

Comment

I have a board with no burned components, but u40 was shorted. I've replaced that, but same as poster: no power reached. I've measured the +5VUSB on the ISL95905 and that seems to be shorted. I'm waiting on a new one now. Did you ever solve it, or do you need more info on where I measured?

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
                              Hi,
                              after a short circuit , the npn mosfet has burned, after a replace now the voltage reaches the motherboard but I have identified another component that has sign of burns.
                              I have the schematic but seem that the U40 is not the same.
                              Someone can identify this component.
                              thanks
                              Hi, we're you able to fix it? Replaced both components and still the same. I'm lost even with the schematics. CPU and BQ chip run at 40c under Thermal cam.

Comment

This is the USB power supply chip. Can be removed directly. Then the sub 1, 6 feet

Comment

Working...
                                X