Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dell inspiron mini 1012 not charging batt

Originally posted by proman28 View Post
    sanehdeep downgrade your bios to a00 i done hundreds of these mini 10 and 9 before u start soldering un soldering
    Looooooool....I didn't know that DELL engineers programmed a BIOS rom which can fix faulty smt components...I know that BIOS is magic box which can cure everything, including cancer, but never thought it can soldering...
    DELL must have some technology from aliens (obviously=alienware)

BTW he doesn't have a programmer & /force wouldn't work on weak battery...
    Originally posted by sanehdeep2012 View Post
    pin no 3 of u16 is low as it not detecting the battery because the path of battery connector pin no1/3 is disconnected from u16 pin no 18, only three components are there in that line
    PL10, PL 15 AND PR178
    pl check all these because one end you have 9.2v and other hand you have 0.7v which mean something is open in between, so i suggest three component only pl check i sure you will resolve the isue and give a good news to us
    THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE...

As you can see on schematics, in this design the battery connector is connected through bus interface with SIO/KBC...SDA & SCL contacts sends signals to SIO...There's also signal which controls battery temp...

You need to check those signals...After they're OK SIO sends EN to PU16 & sets CHLIM & VADJ...That will drive LGATE & UGATE (which are FETs gate drivers)

If the battery shows under windows the SDA & SCL is probably OK, but would check them anyway...If those are OK & SIO is not sending EN is most likely faulty...But there may be other problem...

Correct me if I'm wrong...
    Last edited by loser18; 05-28-2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

@crazypepe

pls give us an update. thanks

Comment

The guy (crazypepe) pointed it. There might be a problem with a short on pins 2 and 3 of PQ40, which involves FSTCHG signal.

Comment

thanks for the replies

@sanehdeep
          unfortunately pl10, pl 15 and pr178 is good.
          al three components have 9.2v

but when checking pin 18 of u16 its 0.7v...

@proman28
          can i have a copy of that bios version
          couldnt find it on the internet

@loser18
          sorry for my next question but how exactly do i check for signals?
          do u mean voltages? or if its short to ground? can it be done using dmm?

and yes the battery shows on windows but stuck at 0% and other battery stuck at 5%

thanks again guys

Comment

Pin 18 of PU16 is output pin...
            It won't generate any voltage if EN is low...
            That's why you have 0V on pin 18...
            You need to figure out why you don't have EN voltage, that's how the troubleshooting works & not messing around with other things such as BIOS etc. & praying god it would be fixed...

As atsio suggested, check PQ40 if it's opening & closing or replace...
            It's a P channel FET and may cause that SIO is not working properly...

& you need a scope to check those signals...

Comment

DEAR,

all related to this blog please listen to me what i want to say,

i know the pin no 18 of pu 16 is connected to output pin but keep in mind this is not output pin (pin no 14 and pin no 17 is output pin and pin no 18 control the output) and pin no 3 of pu16 is chargng enable pin , so if pin 3 is low ther should be no voltage at pin no 18, but this pin directly attached to PL15 ,
              so as per user crazypepe PL15 Is having 9.2V then why pin 18 of PU16 is having diff voltage like 0.7 i cant believe that ,some this wrong in circuit

PL15 and pin no 18 Of PU16 is same track so it should having same Voltage

dear crazypepe have you check voltage at PL15 on both side

if PL15 HAVE 9.2V THEN
              PIN NO 1,2,3, OF PQ35 !! pin no 5 of PQ39 !! pin no 18 of PU16 should having 9.2v because all component having same copper track,

second thing PIN NO 18 IS NOT A OUTPUT PIN IT IS BATTERY MONITERING PIN IF BATTERY IS CONNECTED THEN THIS PIN SHOUD BE SAME AS BATTERY VOLTAGE EITHER CHARGING IS ENABLE OR DISABLE .

pl check the schematic, YOU ARE VERY NEAR TO THE PROBLEM PL think and search the schematic and do need full i am sure you will will do it soon,

best of luck

Attached Files

Comment

dear crazypepe

PROBLEM1. PL CHECK VOLTAGE ON BOTH SIDE OF PL15 IF YOU FIND VOLTAGE MISSING AT ONE SIDE OF PL15 THEN PL 15 IS OPEN,

PROBLEM 2. OTHER WISE COPPER TRACK BETWEEN PL15 AND PIN NO18 OF PU16 IS OPEN

AS PER YOUR CONDITION ONLY ABOVE TWO PROBLEM SHOULD BE THERE

ALSO CHECK THE VOLTAGE AT PIN NO 1,2,3, OF PQ35 !! pin no 5 of PQ39 !! IF THESE PINS HAVE 9.2V THEN GO TO PROBLEM 2 OTHER WISE PROBLEM 1 IS THERE
                Last edited by sanehdeep2012; 05-31-2014, 01:37 AM.

Comment

i think the problem its related to that isl and pq35 because if he measure the battery connector he will find out that the 9.2v comes from the empty battery .
                  Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

DEAR DJ_RICOHi agree with you that the 9.2v comes from battery but the same should be present at pin ni18 of PU16 so this shows that the path betwen battery connector and pin no 18 of PU16 is open , if PU16 find the battery voltage at pin no 18 then only it trigger for charging, so pin 18 of PU16 is not connected to battery the it treated it as no battery connection and pin no three goes alway low,thus charging is disable ,

Comment

Dear sanehdeep2012...

You're right in one thing...
                      I've checked ISL datasheet properly this time & PIN 18 is phase pin not an actual oputput, however is connected to output...

I do apologize for any misleading info...(we're learning every day)

According to datasheet PHASE has got nothing to do with battery detection...
                      This regulator can be applied with fixed charging parameters or WITH MICRO-CONTROLLER...

pls see diagram

In this case the micro controller is SIO/KBC...
                      The battery detection communication is between battery and SIO via SCL & SDL signals as I said above...If these signals are OK, SIO sends signal to EN pin wich enable LGATE & UGATE & those drive MOSFETS to pull voltage from VIN...

See article:

The synchronous buck converter uses external N-channel
                      MOSFETs to convert the input voltage to the required
                      charging current and charging voltage. Figure 12 shows the
                      ISL6251, ISL6251A typical application circuit with charging
                      current and charging voltage fixed at specific values. The
                      typical application circuit shown in Figure 13 shows the
                      ISL6251, ISL6251A typical application circuit which uses a
                      micro-controller to adjust the charging current set by CHLIM
                      input. The voltage at CHLIM and the value of R1 sets the
                      charging current. The DC/DC converter generates the
                      control signals to drive two external N-channel MOSFETs to
                      regulate the voltage and current set by the ACLIM, CHLIM,
                      VADJ and CELLS inputs

SO without EN the ISL won't pull out voltage & therefore it won't charge the battery...

POSSIBLE CAUSES WHY EN is DISABLED:

Shutdown
                      The ISL6251, ISL6251A features a low-power shutdown
                      mode. Driving EN low shuts down the charger. In shutdown,
                      the DC/DC converter is disabled, and VCOMP and ICOMP
                      are pulled to ground. The ICM, ACPRN outputs continue to
                      function.
                      EN can be driven by a thermistor to allow automatic
                      shutdown when the battery pack is hot. Often a NTC
                      thermistor is included inside the battery pack to measure its
                      temperature. When connected to
                      the charger, the thermistor
                      forms a voltage divider with a resistive pull-up to the VREF.
                      The threshold voltage of EN is 1.06V with 60mV hysteresis.
                      The thermistor can be selected to have a resistance vs temperature characteristic that abruptly decreases above a
                      critical temperature. This ar
                      rangement automatically shuts
                      down the charger when the battery pack is above a critical
                      temperature.
                      Another method for inhibiting charging is to force CHLIM
                      below 88mV (typ)

Short Circuit Protection and 0V Battery Charging
                      Since the battery charger will regulate the charge current to
                      the limit set by CHLIM, it automatically has short circuit
                      protection and is able to provide the charge current to wake
                      up an extremely discharged battery

Over Temperature Protection
                      If the die temp exceeds 150°C, it stops charging. Once the
                      die temp drops below 125°C,
                      charging will start up again

It also my be faulty SIO/KBC as it's not sending EN signal...(& i think that's the case)

To the voltage @ PL15...

I've got absolutely no clue why he has 9.2V there...
                      What I "think" is that voltage comes from battery & goes CSOP and CSON which regulate charging current...
                      I've never seen open coil, so don't think it's the coil problem...
                      Maybe PC178 & PR179 are acting as push/pull and they're pulling that voltage to the ground(that's why he's got 0.7V @ pin 18 as some voltage is leaking or DMM shows bollock)...
                      Correct me if I'm wrong...

BTW sanehdeep2012, I didn't mean this in any offending way...
                      I may be wrong, but according datasheet and schematic it makes sense...
                      As I said, we're learning every day...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by loser18; 05-31-2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

dear loser18,

i love the discussion this gives us lot of knowledge,i very thankful to you dear as you find the things and remind the thinks and it polish you knowledge and you share your knowledge with us so it gives lot of new things to us,your and other's discussion may give the hints for solve the laptop.

i also agree with you that battery send the data directly to kbc for battery status,

keepit up this discussion help the others also.

thanks again

dear loser18 but as per my opinion pin no 18 should the same as battery voltage either it charging or not , but it should be at same voltage level, that was my point because the hole track is same,

for this can you pl check at any laptop with you remove the adapter and check voltage at battery and check phase pin of charging ic and you will find the same think happen in laptop also,that charging ic phase pin and battery pin having almost same voltage.
                        Last edited by sanehdeep2012; 06-02-2014, 12:08 AM.

Comment

dear crazypepe all the above info by me and specially by loser18 and other will help u to understand you problem .
                          Last edited by sanehdeep2012; 06-02-2014, 12:10 AM.

Comment

dear all i learn lot of things at bad caps and by there users,i am very thankful to badcaps.net,

Comment

Working...
                            X