X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner question - Hot RT9513 chip

Hi.

My Hp G6 laptop died while using it.

I opened it up and used a thermal camera on it to see if anything was getting hot. The RT9513 chip (EQ ED B1Y) which is supposedly a battery charger ic was getting hot. I ordered a new one and replaced it but its still red hot. Where should I look next?

I have no idea how to identify this chip or what it does. Can anyone help?
    Attached Files

Comment

RT8223MZQW

High Efficiency, Main Power Supply Controller for Notebook Computer (richtek.com)
      Last edited by mon2; 04-20-2024, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode. Measure the resistance to ground of each and every pin on this device. Be sure of your soldering of this component; be sure that pin # 1 of the replacement matches the original; confirm the resistance of each and every pin to be sure there is no short.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren Hibbert View Post
          Hi.

My Hp G6 laptop died while using it.

I opened it up and used a thermal camera on it to see if anything was getting hot. The RT9513 chip (EQ ED B1Y) which is supposedly a battery charger ic was getting hot. I ordered a new one and replaced it but its still red hot. Where should I look next?
          Post a link to the schematic if its available -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...r-s-guidelines
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

No schematic available. da0r13mb6e0 rev e

Comment

Are you sure the chip is RT9513?

See your other thread here:

What is this chip? EQ ED B1Y - Badcaps

Update:

Study the G4 schematic and review PU3 = RT8223.

This dual regulator creates the +3VS5 and the +5VS5 rails.

With no power to the board, measure the resistance to ground of PL20 inductor (either side is ok).
              With no power to the board, measure the resistance to ground of PL23 inductor (either side is ok).

Post each measurement.

Does your board like the one below?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PU3.png
Views:	55
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	3256576

Click image for larger version  Name:	PL20.png Views:	0 Size:	183.8 KB ID:	3256572

Click image for larger version  Name:	pl23.png Views:	0 Size:	181.8 KB ID:	3256573
              Last edited by mon2; 04-20-2024, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Yeah looks like I replaced it with the wrong chip.

Comment

Strange. I purchased this from eBay with the same code but it says it's an RT9513.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125556477...mis&media=COPY

Comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125556477...mis&media=COPY

Comment

Here is the datasheet for the RT9513:

Linear Single Cell Li-Ion Battery Charger IC (richtek.com)

At best, the Ebay listing is referencing the wrong part from Richtek. Is this part still getting hot? If yes, continue to review the other thread you have started to review the resistance to ground of each created rail by this controller. Either way, this is not a RT9513.

Comment

The schematic and BV pics are not from the exact board as yours. These are from the G4 model which appears to use the same controller @ PU3. Share pics of your board for this region.

If there is a need, can post the BV file I have for the G4 for your review. Is the layout the same as yours for these parts?

Comment

It's still getting hot. I will do the resistance thing with the old chip.

I will contact the eBay seller.

Thank you very much for your help. Just wish I had a schematic.

Comment

That looks like the same board. Photos attached. Can you send me that schematic please?

Obviously this picture has the new (wrong) chip on itClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240420_213703.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	3256585 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240420_213619.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	3256586 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240420_213640.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	3256587

Comment

Review the other thread, your board may be close enough to the G4 schematic to perform the repair. From these few readings, the vendor is probably mistaken on naming this as RT9513 in the Ebay listing. Which part did you receive exactly? Are the topside markings the same as the original? If you have 'EQ' then you should have the correct replacement part.

The heating of the part is probably due to a heavier than normal load on this component. For this reason, let us continue in the other thread.

Comment

Good. We now have a reference that can help us proceed. See attached. First concern is the orientation of pin # 1 of this boardview of PU3 on the G4 board and compare it to yours. Let me check against the datasheet.

Update - you have soldered it correctly with pin # 1 oriented like the BV.

Name:	orientation.png
Views:	42
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	3256595

Click image for larger version  Name:	PU3_top_view.png Views:	0 Size:	111.0 KB ID:	3256594
                                Last edited by mon2; 04-20-2024, 02:54 PM.

Comment

The laptop suddenly shut down one day and was completely dead. I opened it up, connected the power jack and that chip lit up like a Christmas tree under the thermal cam. I took the chip off and ordered the new one. Fitted it and it still gets red hot when connecting the power. Laptop will not start.

Comment

See attached. From the angles of the pic, concerned if you are really soldering the part to the pads. Suggest to flux each side of this IC. Then take a soldering iron tip and drag it with melted solder on your tip across these pads. The iron should not be too hot that it nukes the pads(!) = bad. But hot enough that the liquid solder will wick up the gaps that are visible. You want to flood the solder between the PCB pads and each IC contact. If you short anything, flux and touch the pads again till you draw out the excess solder. In the end, you want good joints.

Name:	sides.png
Views:	48
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	3256602

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

Do you have the BV and schematic I can download to look at with boardviewer?

Comment

Working...
                                        X