Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer Aspire 8930G - graphics card faulty, poss mosfet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire 8930G - graphics card faulty, poss mosfet?

Have an aspire 8903g here that initially was just dead, you'd plug it in and nothing but a constant clicking noise.
    That turned out to be the graphics card which is an mxm 9600gt card, with that removed it powers on but obviously doesn't boot.

Looking at the card everything looks ok apart from 1 of the mosfets which I'm not sure about, what do you guys think?

I've attached a pic of the suspect bit (on the left) although it doesn't really show up well, it just appears somewhat dirtier than it should be around the base like it got really hot.
    Attached Files

Re: Acer Aspire 8930G - graphics card faulty, poss mosfet?

Check the transistors with DMM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plastic_Anomaly View Post
      Have an aspire 8903g here that initially was just dead, you'd plug it in and nothing but a constant clicking noise.
      That turned out to be the graphics card which is an mxm 9600gt card, with that removed it powers on but obviously doesn't boot.

Looking at the card everything looks ok apart from 1 of the mosfets which I'm not sure about, what do you guys think?

I've attached a pic of the suspect bit (on the left) although it doesn't really show up well, it just appears somewhat dirtier than it should be around the base like it got really hot.
      Happened to me once before, one of two mosfets must be short, if you measure between power supply line and GND you must see a value between 3 - 9 ohms. if it is lower than 3 ohms then one of those mosfets is %100 short.

Comment

I think those cards sometimes need a re-ball on the GPU Not saying that is the problem, but if the mosfets are ok i would be looking there. the Acer G series were kinda plagued for cooking gpus.

Edit:

Just had a thought, the 'dirty look' could be that it's been subject to a lot of heat / overheating or someone has attempted a repair by cooking it in the oven?
        Last edited by mcfly666; 10-08-2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Every factory solder got it self in composition flux.
          When you cook a board in the oven you will see that every joint on the board will expose that flux.
          Flux will come out and it will make a brown/orange colour .
          Its not bad but its not good to because every shop/person who invested in rework station will say its bad to cook and every body else who don't have money to buy a rework station every alternative its good.
          Find a shop/person with a rework station and replace that chip or buy a new video card
          Something when wrong with that chip or somebody didn't know how to reflow/cook the board
          Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by whaldsz View Post
            Check the transistors with DMM.
            Originally posted by tomodachi View Post
            Happened to me once before, one of two mosfets must be short, if you measure between power supply line and GND you must see a value between 3 - 9 ohms. if it is lower than 3 ohms then one of those mosfets is %100 short.
            ok, now in the simplest way possible tell me where to stick the pointy bits of red and black cables please

Comment

Hi all! Sorry to be hijacking an old thread and also dragging this one back up but I'm not able to add a thread of my own yet...

I've got the exact same problem as this thread states with the Acer 8930g... If I unplug the graphics card the Blue LED's light up lovely blah blah but with the graphics card installed it just does a Clicking / Ticking noise every 1 second(ish)...

I really don't think this is a problem with the graphics card though as I swapped it out for another card in a working Advent 7555GX (And ATi 4850 Card) and it does pretty much the same thing only this time the clicking noise is every 2 seconds instead of one...

I'm absolutely fine with throwing the soldering iron around, I have a multi meter and I've replaced 8 Leg Mosfets on motherboards before but only from advice... So if someone is able to tell me the exact one where the problem is then happy days, if not is someone please able to educate me slightly in figuring out where the problem is so I can get the components ordered and repair the motherboard rather than replace it with potentially the same problem months down the line..?

Thanks so much!

Adam.

Comment

Working...
              X